Author Topic: Struggling to transcribe an abode  (Read 1575 times)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Struggling to transcribe an abode
« on: Sunday 27 July 14 09:19 BST (UK) »
I am transcribing the baptism records for Silver St Primitive Methodist Chapel, Newcastle for the Free Reg project and am struggling with an abode.
It seems to have been within All Saints parish and though I have stared at it for ages now  I just can't suss it out. Its L_ne St, then two words, _ise  _urn/_arn  ? Possibly something Burn?

If anyone has the time to look and put forward any suggestions, I'd appreciate it.

Image (hopefully) attached and the abode column is the one on the far right.
If anyone has access to these records and cares to look at the entire page, its the 41st frame on the film and is numbered (stamped) as page 39.

Thanks

Boo

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Struggling to transcribe an abode
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 July 14 09:34 BST (UK) »
I reckon it is Lime Street, Ouse Burn. If you look for Lime St on google maps you will see Ouseburn Farm just above it.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 27 July 14 10:17 BST (UK) »
Thank you! I really appreciate the help!

Now that I am told what it says I can see that the O in Ouse Burn is squashed up :-)

Though its not the worst I have seen, this writing is not the best either, only 8 more pages to go!

Boo

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 27 July 14 11:37 BST (UK) »
Glad to help Boo. Very much appreciate folks like yourself who are working on transcriptions of non-conformist records. I have a lot of brick walls due to my own non-conformist background.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 27 July 14 14:32 BST (UK) »
I applaud your work too Boo.
Thanks so much :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 27 July 14 15:28 BST (UK) »
 the records I am transcribing are from the RG4 films. When civil registration was introduced, the non conformist churches were required to provide registers and, as far as I can tell, at least 'some' copied their originals (sort of like the Bishops Transcripts, they were not written at the time of the event). It would be good to transcribe the originals but I don't have access to those so I do what I can get hold of.

It looks like whoever re-wrote the register could, like me, have done with the help of RootsChatters!
In this entry he couldn't read the former name of the child's mother, so wrote "Cannot tell". Family search have transcribed the mother as Elizabeth Cannottell, he he! We all do our best :-)

Makes me feel slightly better about Ouse Burn :-)

Boo

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 27 July 14 15:36 BST (UK) »
I applaud your work too Boo.
Thanks so much :)

I am just one of many transcribers for Northumberland. I enjoy doing it and see it as a pay back to others who made it easier for me to research my family by transcribing all sorts of useful stuff.
Its been really lovely to watch the database grow, when I first joined about 4 years ago there were about 37,000 records.  Now its almost 648,000 :-)
I'm very pleased to have played a part in that, along with those who have transcribed for a lot longer than I and the co-ordinators who have the unenviable job of keeping track of it all.

Boo

Offline dolly dimples

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 27 July 14 16:42 BST (UK) »
Well done Boo,
                 my thanks and admiration too,
                                                           Dolly
Northumberland. Main.Hertfordshire.Brash.Dryden
East Lothian.Brash. Dryden. Cumberland.Henderson.Joyce.
Plymouth.Charlick. Canada.Boulds.