Author Topic: Search for George Dixon and his relatives  (Read 4284 times)

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Search for George Dixon and his relatives
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 02 August 14 18:23 BST (UK) »
I will send you a PM with some information which may be useful but involves people who may still be living so I cannot post it here.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 03 August 14 12:04 BST (UK) »
There was a serious railway accident at Morpeth, but in May 1969, if he were still a signalman then he may have been on duty when the accident happened.

The cause was a train entering a sharp curve at an excessive speed, the train derailed and 6 were killed and 19 seriously injured,

mike

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Jane ANDERSON nee DODD, 2 x g grandmother.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 03 August 14 14:31 BST (UK) »
Looking at where George lived, ( I presume he was living with Helvi but that may not be the case) it is near to the main Aberdeen to London railway line. Between 1948-1997 that line belonged to British Rail. As he wasn't living near the Acklington station itself, I think he may have been in charge of a railway level crossing where a road crossed the railway line.

I can remember lots of signal boxes at level crossings when I was young, most of them have now been automated and/or knocked down. They were small, two storey brick built buildings right beside the line. The signalman worked on the top floor where lots of big windows showed what was going on all around. He could see both up and down the railway line and had a clear view of the road crossing too. He would be totally responsible for the safety of the trains and their passengers. Only a job for someone who was conscientious about his work!

The nearby roads now have bridges over the railway lines but they might not have been there in 1955/6.

Gen in NBL England

UK - Northumberland, County Durham: ANDERSON,   DODD(S), EDWARDS, ELLIOTT/ELLET, FENWICK, GREY/GRAY, HINDMARCH and variants, JORDAN, MOORE, MURRAY, RIPPON, RODDHAM, RYDER-TURNER, SPARK(E)(S), STEWART, TILLEY, TIPLADY, WATSON,
Sheffield: TURNER
Middlesex: RYDER
<br />Aberdeenshire: EDWARDS, BRODIE<br />Angus STEWART, DIXON, PETRIE

Offline Joan Pringle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 04 August 14 01:28 BST (UK) »
The address is in the birth certificates:
3, east house farm cottages, Acklington, Morpeth.
The number 3 is missing in my fathers certificate, but otherwise the address is the same in both certificates.
Don't know if this will be of any help but my husbands relatives lived at East House at that time. He was a young boy but can remember them. Mr. Dixon was tall over six feet, he was a railway signalman at Warkworth crossing. There was a goods train derailment when he was on duty, his actions prevented a major disaster. This would have been reported in the local paper.
Posgate- Co. Durham, Northumberland.
Gladstone-Co.Durham.
Topping-Northumberland.
Towns-Co.Durham.

Most importantly looking for my Grandmother Ivy Topping/otherwise Richardson last heard of in May, 1920 in Alnwick.

Offline Joan Pringle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 04 August 14 01:32 BST (UK) »
The address is in the birth certificates:
3, east house farm cottages, Acklington, Morpeth.
The number 3 is missing in my fathers certificate, but otherwise the address is the same in both certificates.
Posgate- Co. Durham, Northumberland.
Gladstone-Co.Durham.
Topping-Northumberland.
Towns-Co.Durham.

Most importantly looking for my Grandmother Ivy Topping/otherwise Richardson last heard of in May, 1920 in Alnwick.

Offline SusanDi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 04 August 14 06:20 BST (UK) »
Thank you Joan Pringle!! I will send you a personal message.
Susan

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 04 August 14 18:20 BST (UK) »
There is a lovely photo of the Warkworth signal-box at

http://www.thewaitingrooms.co.uk/Railway-links-and-history.html

What a pity no-one is visible inside!

Gen in NBL England

UK - Northumberland, County Durham: ANDERSON,   DODD(S), EDWARDS, ELLIOTT/ELLET, FENWICK, GREY/GRAY, HINDMARCH and variants, JORDAN, MOORE, MURRAY, RIPPON, RODDHAM, RYDER-TURNER, SPARK(E)(S), STEWART, TILLEY, TIPLADY, WATSON,

Offline SusanDi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 08 August 14 09:59 BST (UK) »
Picture of George, in 1955.

I see so much similaritys at my brother :)

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 08 August 14 14:46 BST (UK) »
A good looking man! He would be unusual in these parts, you don't see many grown men with blond hair and pale eyes around here. Lots of blond children but their hair turns brown as they grow....

I've been looking at this NER (North Eastern Railway) website:
http://www.darlington.gov.uk/Leisure/headofsteam/kenhoole.htm

there are lots of George Dixon's on the database for pension records of the NER but none seem to fit your grandfather. It does say however that not all the information is on the database. It might be worth writing to them. Emphasise you are a direct descendant as the records are possibly classed as private and closed, as the people concerned could still be alive.

Gen in NBL England