Author Topic: Dunstead, Bellingham ?  (Read 1612 times)

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dunstead, Bellingham ?
« on: Friday 01 August 14 20:04 BST (UK) »
There is a burial in the Bellingham parish registers in 1764 that gives the place of abode as Dunstead.

County Northumberland
Place Bellingham
Church St Cuthberts Tr
BurialDate 26 May 1764
Abode Dunstead

I can not find out where this Dunstead (which I assume is a farm) is. On the 1860 farm index there is a farm called Dunstead in West Tarset in the parish of Thorneyburn (created out of Bellingham \ Simonburn)

Any suggestions as to the location of Dunstead would ne appreciated. Thank you.
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Dunstead, Bellingham ?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 01 August 14 22:10 BST (UK) »
There is a reference to it here http://www.gatehouse-gazetteer.info/English%20sites/5091.html
which leads to this map http://www.old-maps.co.uk/maps.html?coords=378180,588990
Take a look at the 1863 map on the right, and you will see that Dunstead (in ruins) is marked on there.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 August 14 23:00 BST (UK) »
Thank you that is very helpful.

It is a bit further north than I was expecting but on the plus side it is near High Green which is where my ancestor came from so there may be a family connection to the burial. (something else to investigate  ;))

James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 02 August 14 00:45 BST (UK) »
"Increasing rents may also have made some farms cease to be economically viable.This is illustrated by reference to the farm of Dunstead. This had been advertised for rent in 1848 but by 1866 the farm buildings were no more than ruins".

Article on the Northumberland National Park.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 02 August 14 10:27 BST (UK) »
Take a look at the 1863 map on the right, and you will see that Dunstead (in ruins) is marked on there.

Dunstead is also marked on the 1897 and 1898 maps.

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 02 August 14 20:32 BST (UK) »
"Increasing rents may also have made some farms cease to be economically viable.This is illustrated by reference to the farm of Dunstead. This had been advertised for rent in 1848 but by 1866 the farm buildings were no more than ruins".

Article on the Northumberland National Park.

Thank you that is very interesting.

May I ask was that article in a publication as I looked at the Northumberland National Park site on the web but it wasn't there, although they did have some interesting stuff on the area.

I think Dunstead may have been vacant as early as 1841 as I have not found it on the 41 or 51 census, although as a plus I did find HighGreen in 1851 (still looking in 1841)

Dunstead is also marked on the 1897 and 1898 maps.

I had a good look at the links you gave yesterday and looked at the maps at different times and can now confidently find the area on modern maps. Thank you