Author Topic: Crawfords of Derry  (Read 7674 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Crawfords of Derry
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 23 January 10 18:06 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat PO1. Names and details of living people aren't allowed to be posted here but if you give us more information (dates, places, etc.), or let us know what you are hoping to find, we'll try to help you.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline rob elliott

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 24 January 10 17:44 GMT (UK) »
PO1,

Think your dad maybe on the 1911 census, available on line via 'National Archives of Ireland' web site.
At Northland Road Londonderry City, aged 1, has lots of sisters and a brother Oliver.
Any probs finding 1911 census post message.

Also do a google for 'Ulster Covenant' and search their site for Crawfords at Northland Road.
I have other records i will have a look for them on.

Rob

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 24 January 10 17:46 GMT (UK) »
The 1911 census is available on National Archives, Dublin website (they should be adding 1901 census sometime this year)-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search

Ulster Covenant is on PRONI website: www.proni.gov.uk
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline SMJohnson78

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 25 August 14 05:32 BST (UK) »
If you're looking for all of the children of William Crawford and Martha Moody, I might be able to help. I'm descended from their son William (1865-1934).

In total, William Crawford and Martha Moody had 10 children.
To my knowledge, none of their children moved to England.
One son did move to New Zealand.

Andrew Crawford (1851-1933) m. Mary Wham (from Illinois)
Andrew emigrated to the USA on August 21, 1871. They had 5 children. 3 sons and 2 daughters.

James Crawford (1853-1928)
James moved to New Zealand. I have been in contact with his descendants and am adding their information to my family tree. There are 3 generations after James' arrival in New Zealand.

John Crawford (1855-1914) m. Margaret Hutchinson (1878-1941)
This family emigrated to Canada. They had 7 children.

Margaret Jane Crawford (1858-1938) m. Frederick Nordeck (c1870 Iowa City, Iowa - ?)
Margaret emigrated to the USA on May 22, 1885.

Mary Crawford (1861-1865) She drowned as a child.

Henry Crawford (1862-1933) m. Sarah Pollock (1864-1939)
Henry stayed in Ireland and farmed the Crawford family farm in Glebe, Co. Londonderry, Northern Ireland.
I have another 2 generations of Henry's family in Northern Ireland if someone wants more information.

William Crawford (1865-1934) m. Ada Dianne Homer (1867-1938)
This is the branch of the Crawford family tree that I am descended from. William and Ada are my 2x great-grandparents. William emigrated to Canada at the age of 18 (in 1883) to work as a farm labourer. William and Ada settled in Ontario near Newmarket, Ontario and had 6 children.

Joseph Crawford (1867-1868).

Joseph Crawford (1870-1937)
He never married. He was a tailor by trade. He is buried in Omagh, Co. Tyrone, Ireland.

Martin Crawford (1872-1951) m. Margaret Hutchinson (1878-1941).
Martin emigrated to the USA with his sister Margaret and his brother Andrew. He emigrated on October 15, 1897. He settled in Iowa City, Iowa.
He later moved to Canada in 1925 and married his brother John's widow Margaret Hutchinson.

As for the Crawfords who emigrated to County Down, UK the only thing I can think of is that they may be descended from another branch in the Crawford family tree. I can trace my family tree back one more generation from William Crawford and Martha Moody to William's father - James Travers Crawford Senior and his wife Margaret Hunter. None of their children emigrated anywhere other than Iowa, USA...if they left Ireland.

Hopefully, that information helps!