Author Topic: Phillips of Londonderry  (Read 14618 times)

Offline owenc

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Phillips of Londonderry
« Reply #45 on: Thursday 06 November 14 09:57 GMT (UK) »
Hey. Yes thats what I looking for. I actually didn't find anything but I did find out that Phillips was actually a connection of the man mclaughlin in the story. I am not from that area and there are alot of Kerrs there so I haven't gotten back any further. They seem to be from Tyrone

Offline derrycity

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Thursday 06 November 14 14:25 GMT (UK) »
Thought I was never going to get in touch with you.

In my previous post I said I was not sure about the information I found because they were residing in Drumlester which is near a village called Six Mile Cross, which is not far from Fintona.

Reason why I am doubting this is because John Kerr and Catherine Mellon were living at Aghafad at the time of their marriage 1880 which is near Fintona. But I could be wrong as they could have moved address. Also more information into who sponsored the children when they were baptised.

Ann Kerr sponsors were Ann and Francis Kerr.
John Kerr sponsors were Patrick and Rose McGurk.
Patrick Kerr sponsors were William and Mary Devlin.

~~~~~~~~-----------------------------

I have been working on Catherine Mellon side of the family and again similar issue to the Kerrs, so many Mellons around that area as well.

I found other marriages that have the surname Mellon in Fintona (Donacavey Chapel). And they were around the same time period as Catherine marriage.

Alice Mellon married Patrick Garrity 8 Oct 1878, witness were John Cosgrove and Mary Anne Moon. Alice was living at Aghafad at the time of the marriage and she was 36 when she married.

Alice Mellon remarried as Patrick Garrity died and she married Bernard Carrigan 20 July 1888, witness were John Ferris and Mrs Barnett.
Alice was living at Aghafad at the time of the marriage and she was 48 and Bernard was 57. And on her marriage record she was known as Alice Mellon alias McGarrity.

Francis Mellon married Catherine McGuire 10 Aug 1885, witness were Cornelius McCloskey (not too sure on the surname) and Rose Murphy.
Francis was living at Aghafad at the time of the marriage and he was 33 and Catherine was living at Aghafad as well and she was 22.

And the Rose Murphy I mentioned above was one of the witnesses to John Kerr and Catherine Mellon marriage, the other witness was Susan Mellon (who was a visitor to John and Catherine Kerr in the 1901 census at 10 Ballyore along with a Mick Mellon who was living with them, I think he was being an apprentice to John as a carpenter or learning his trade with him).

You will find Francis and Catherine Mellon in the 1901 and 1911 census still living at Agahafad.
1901 census at 11 Aghafad Road.
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Tyrone/Draughton/Aghafad/1742963/

1911 census at 38 Aghafad Road.
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Tyrone/Draughton/Aghafad/871673/

That is were I am currently at with trying to find out about John Kerr and Catherine Mellon parents and siblings.

How I fit in all of this is that John Kerr and Catherine Kerr had 7 children
Susan Kerr
Rose Kerr married Henry Quigg (Faughanvale, Derry) and had 9 children.
Patrick Joseph Kerr who emigrated to Canada with his brother Niall.
Jane Kerr who we already know was the principal of the Waterside Girls School and was mentioned in the article that you have mentioned at the start of this thread.
Catherine Mary Kerr otherwise known as Cassie married Phillip Bannigan (Strabane) and had 5 children.
John James Kerr married Mary Ann Gallagher (Portsalon, Donegal) and had 10 children, and one of their children Kathleen Mary Kerr would be my granny.
Niall Columba Kerr married Mary O Hara (Glasgow, Scotland) who married in Toronto, Canada. And they had 2 children.

I do apologise with the overload of information which may or may not help you.

Offline owenc

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Thursday 06 November 14 18:33 GMT (UK) »
Honestly I have no idea, i'm not from Tyrone and this is really far back in my family tree. My name isn't Kerr so I will definitely look at when I am ready.

I tried to look into it at the time but the number of Kerrs was massive so I didn't get far!!

I will say I am connected to the Henry quigg.

Offline derrycity

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Thursday 06 November 14 20:08 GMT (UK) »
Can I ask a couple of questions?

1. How did you find out that John Kerr grandfather Patrick Kerr had a wife called Rose?
2. What do you suspect is the name of John Kerr mother that you suspect has a surname of Phillip, or if you could give me info on what you know of the Phillips, I could take it further if you want?

Offline owenc

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Friday 07 November 14 09:41 GMT (UK) »
Can I ask a couple of questions?

1. How did you find out that John Kerr grandfather Patrick Kerr had a wife called Rose?
2. What do you suspect is the name of John Kerr mother that you suspect has a surname of Phillip, or if you could give me info on what you know of the Phillips, I could take it further if you want?

Sure.

1. I bought the marriage certificate of someone on RootsIreland.ie.
2. I have no idea, her maiden name is not Phillips though. I worked that out long ago.

Offline derrycity

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Friday 07 November 14 16:10 GMT (UK) »
That's great you have the marriage certificate of John Kerr's grandfather Patrick.

1. Please could you tell me the date of the marriage?
2. Whereabouts did the marriage take place?
3. Fathers name of Patrick and Rose?
4. Witnesses to the marriage?
5. Address given for Patrick and Rose at the time of the marriage?