Author Topic: Reilly's - Limavady/Londonderry - Does anyone know what happened to James  (Read 13407 times)

Offline apthorpea

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Reilly's - Limavady/Londonderry - Does anyone know what happened to James
« on: Tuesday 30 September 14 08:47 BST (UK) »
James Reilly, birth was registered on the 8 Oct 1889, his father, William was a labourer and his mother Elizabeth nee Sherrard died a few months after James birth.  Present at the birth was Anne ?  on the birth cert it looks like they come from Bondsfield, (somewhere near Kincull) Londonderry, he was born on the 29 Sep 1889.  Nancy Reilly,  James aunt was present at the death of his mother Elizabeth.  James is shown as living with his aunt in the 1901 census at 8 Kilculmagrandell, Foreglen, Londonderry.  They are living with Nancy's sister Eliza Ann Logan nee Reilly and her family. (His father William has remarried by this time) Nancy is a spinster.
The most likely 1911 census that James shows up in is at 2 Ballymaclanigan, Fore Glen, Londonderry, Ireland.  In the 1911 census he is a Farm Servant, he may be working on their farm as they have a small farm holding. they have a stable, piggery, fowl house and a cow shed. He is the only male registered as living in the house with 4 women.  The same household in the 1901 census had a lodger staying with them called Mathew Sherrard, who could be related to his mother.
Did James enlist in the 1914 war he would have been 25 years old? Was he wounded or killed in the war? Did he get married & have children? When did he die? Did he immigrate from Londonderry?  Any information on the family would be appreciated.  Angela
Stewart, Reilly, Montgomery, Cheshire, Lyttle, Rankin, Apthorpe, Hart, Anderson,  Gourley

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Reilly's - Limavady/Londonderry - Does anyone know what happened to James
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 30 September 14 15:21 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   Unfortunately James Reilly is a fairly common name in the Claudy area. There are four of them all approximately the same age as you can see from the 1911 census. His parents were married in 1888 in Cumber Upper Presbyterian Church which is on the outskirts of the village of Claudy. You can also see what may be the same four men in the Ulster Covenant in 1912. See http://applications.proni.gov.uk/UlsterCovenant/Search.aspx
   For that name I can find two local marriages, one in 1912 where a James Reilly married Eliza Ann Jameson in Dungiven Church of Ireland and the other in Banagher Church of Ireland where the bride was Elizabeth Reilly in 1915.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline apthorpea

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 October 14 21:41 BST (UK) »
 The two local marriages, the one in 1912 where a James Reilly married Eliza Ann Jameson in Dungiven Church of Ireland father’s name was Alan and the other James in Banagher Church of Ireland where the bride was Elizabeth Reilly in 1915 , the father’s name was Stuart.  Elizabeth’s father’s name is also Alan, which rules them both out as James fathers name is William.
Thanks for putting me in the direction of the Ulster Covenant in 1912.  I ruled out the two James above and another James was 73 years old in the 1911 census.  However I could not locate the address Ballaughanedin Feeny Londonderry: North, Banagher  in the 1911 or 1901 census.
I found the James I was looking for was present at his Aunt Nancy’s death at Kincull in 1906
In the 1911 census there is a James living at 2 Ballymaclanigan, Fore Glen with the Craig family I have looked them up and Matilda Craig who was born on the 15th February 1892 mother’s name was Sherrard of Limavady same as his mother.  So I am assuming if he did marry it must have been later.  Thanks again
Stewart, Reilly, Montgomery, Cheshire, Lyttle, Rankin, Apthorpe, Hart, Anderson,  Gourley

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 08 October 14 05:37 BST (UK) »

However I could not locate the address Ballaughanedin Feeny Londonderry: North, Banagher  in the 1911 or 1901 census.

It's the townland of Ballyhanedin in the civil parish of Banagher, if you look further down the relevant Ulster Covenant sheet that James Reilly signed, you will see that two others have spelled it thus.

Here are some other historical versions of the name as well:

http://www.placenamesni.org/resultdetails.php?entry=950

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline apthorpea

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 25 October 14 18:11 BST (UK) »
I wondered if anyone could  advise how I can find out when Bond Street, in the Waterside in Londonderry was built, it is not shown in the 1901 census, but a Martha Montgomery died there in 1903 she left her will to the local minister of Ebrington Presbyterian Church.  Possible related to Rebecca.  43 Bond's Street Londonderry, was lived in by the Reilly family, Rebecca Reilly (Montgomery) moved there in 1912 with her 5 children. (The names of Rebecca, William, Robert, Martha and 1 neighbour signed the covenant adding the address)  The 1911 census Rebecca is  living next door at 42,1 Bond Street, with 5 children and 2 boarders.  Martha Reilly married Adolphus Cheshire at First Derry Presbyterian Church, and on the 7th Oct 1924 Annie Reilly married Albert Lyttle both siting the address of 43 Bond Street.  Their mother Rebecca died in the house on 8 June 1920, her will gives the details that she is living in the house at the time of death.  In her will she leaves everything to her son Robert, who presumable was looking after her.  Robert immigrates to Canada from this address in 1927  Sailing from Londonderry to Montreal in Canada, he died 2 years later in Ontario, Canada (siting that he came from 43 Bond Street).  My grandfather was at this address until he joined the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers where he was  wounded, he is mentioned  in the Roll of Honour 1914-1919 at Ebrington Presbyterian Church In Ireland.  I wondered if there was anyway of finding out when the Reilly's left the house.  Thanks for any information.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 25 October 14 18:35 BST (UK) »
PRONI have the Valuation Revision Books online (free) so you can view the scanned images to trace a particular property from the time of the printed Griffith's Valuation until c1930-
http://www.proni.gov.uk/index/search_the_archives/val12b.htm

I think you'll find that Bond St. does pre-date the 1901 census. Is this the Martha that died in 1903?
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Londonderry/Waterside/Bonds/1539614

Are you sure about her date of death?. "Probate of the Will of Martha Montgomery late of 43 Bond Street Waterside Londonderry Spinster who died 20 June 1909 granted at Londonderry to The Reverend Leslie Rankin Preshyterian Minister." Rev. Rankin was the executor of her estate responsible for carrying her wishes as stated in the Will.
note: I can't find her death in either LDS civil registration index or GRONI.

Offline apthorpea

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 27 October 14 08:31 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all the information,  43 Bonds Street was owned by the Montgomery family and left to Rev  in Martha's will.  No record of the Reilly's living at this address in the valuation books.  The link you sent me to the Proni site the Reilly's do not appear to be at any of the addresses I have for them.  They lived in 19 Pine Street in 1901, and 42.1 Bonds Street in 1911.  The valuation books do not have records of houses numbers over 40 Bonds street on the even numbers. Is there anyway to look up who lived at 9 Simpsons Brae Waterside in 1936.  Thank you again.  Angela

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 27 October 14 18:54 GMT (UK) »
The numbers on the census returns are not the street address- they are the enumerator's numbering for a particular census.

In 1911 the family lived at 43 Bond St.-
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai002853404/