Author Topic: John Bartlett  (Read 4075 times)

Offline scorpiom

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Bartlett
« on: Thursday 15 March 12 12:12 GMT (UK) »
My ancestor John Bartlett was born in Hampshire in 1788 and in 1811 was sent to South Africa by the London Mission Society.  He had children by wife Johanna Goeyeman as well as Elizabeth Haarhof.  My grandmother Marianne Bartlett born in 1894 in Britstown South Africa, was a descendant of John Bartlett.  Would like to know Marianne's parents names.

Offline rutti tutti

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: John Bartlett
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 March 12 17:36 GMT (UK) »
Do you have her death notice - that should give her parents name.
Ruth
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Leanne68

• RootsChat Member
  • The next generation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 March 12 19:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

I have found the baptism for your grandmother in the Dutch Reformed Church Registers for Britstown. 

Her father was John Henry BARTLETT and mother Martha Magdalena BAYLY

The original register can be found at www.familysearch.org > Africa> South Africa, Dutch Reformed Church Records, 1690-2007 > 1889-1914 > Baptisms > B

It is image nr : 95 of 288

Yay for the internet!
best wishes
Leanne
ENG - Bath, Blacker, Brockman, Brook, Bundock, Cains, Davenport+, Earle, Edmonds^,Fletcher, Hinds, Holehouse, Holliday+, Jackson*, Laver+, Leach*,Litt^, Oxenham, Pirie*, Radford, Robinson, Staples*, Starkey+, Tarr*, Toye, Warner*, Whiffen, White, Wooley, Wright
IRE - Barnes, Caples, Hurst, McNamara, Quirk, Ryan, Towell, Wilson
SCOT - Craig, Davidson, Hervie, Kerr, McCallum, McFarlane, Reid, Robinson, Thorburn, Wright

* 1820 to Cape of Good Hope
^ 1841-1853 to Vict, Aus
+ 1860's to QLD, Aus

Offline scorpiom

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 16 March 12 10:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ruth, I have conflicting info re Marianne's death.  I know she died in 1928 but one report says she died in Bloemfontein, the other says Transvaal.

Hi there Leanne
Thanks so much for info on Marianne's baptism.  I always assumed the Bartletts would be Church of England.  Just shows,  never "assume".

Offline Leanne68

• RootsChat Member
  • The next generation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 16 March 12 12:16 GMT (UK) »
I always assumed the Bartletts would be Church of England.  Just shows,  never "assume".

The London Missionary Society worked very closely with the Ministers and infrastructure of the Dutch Reformed Church.  Many of the early LMS registers are archived in the the DRC archives. 

It could also be the case that her mother had some Afrikaans roots.
ENG - Bath, Blacker, Brockman, Brook, Bundock, Cains, Davenport+, Earle, Edmonds^,Fletcher, Hinds, Holehouse, Holliday+, Jackson*, Laver+, Leach*,Litt^, Oxenham, Pirie*, Radford, Robinson, Staples*, Starkey+, Tarr*, Toye, Warner*, Whiffen, White, Wooley, Wright
IRE - Barnes, Caples, Hurst, McNamara, Quirk, Ryan, Towell, Wilson
SCOT - Craig, Davidson, Hervie, Kerr, McCallum, McFarlane, Reid, Robinson, Thorburn, Wright

* 1820 to Cape of Good Hope
^ 1841-1853 to Vict, Aus
+ 1860's to QLD, Aus

Offline bhunter

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 08 November 12 15:13 GMT (UK) »
My husband is related to John BARTLETT via his daughter Mary BARTLETT who appears to have been born about 1816 at Theopolis.

I have not been able to find any baptism record for her nor for the marriage of John BARTLETT to Johanna GOEYMAN 11 Dec 1815 in Graaf Reinet or Theopolis.

I have the death notice of Mary GREEN (nee BARTLETT) which says her mother was Elizabeth but the maiden name is illegible.

I have not found death notices for either John BARTLETT or his wife Johanna.

Please could someone suggest where I should look for this information.

Thanks
B

Ireland - Connor; Foley.
England - Connor; Hale; Cox; Tucker; Foley; Allison. Scotland -  More; Clark; Niven; Milne; Brown; Barclay; McIntosh.
South Africa - Cox

Offline braw

• RootsChat Senior
  • South Africa Bloemfontein
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 09 November 12 06:34 GMT (UK) »
The Cape archives have DN's for John Bartlett 1863, John William B 1881, John B 1899, John Henry Authur B 1901,
John Henry B 1905. I think Theopolis is a farm situated 50 to 80km from Grahamstown.