Author Topic: Thomas - Born in Wales  (Read 2639 times)

Offline kevmac90

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas - Born in Wales
« on: Wednesday 05 March 14 14:32 GMT (UK) »
My 3x grandfather Mathew (Matt?) Thomas married Mary Conway in Galway (Kilcummin Oughterard) on 14 Mar 1832.  Mathew was born in Wales according to the death certificates of two sons.  Not sure what he was doing in Galway - but he was there until his death in I'd guess 1860 -1863 when the family, Mary, Mathew and Patrick sailed for the States.  I believe Patrick was born in 1843 and Mathew in 1848 (based on US Census records). 

Anyone else have any Thomas family members in their tree?

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas - Born in Wales
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 05 March 14 17:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi There

There is about a 10 year age difference on these documents relating to Patrick than the dates on your message . . .

Patrick Thomas marriage

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FH1X-BTW

Patrick Thomas death

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/KB84-LG5

There were 2 families with the surname of Thomas listed on the GV for Kilcummin so it's possible that Matthew's family may have returned to where they originated !

http://www.failteromhat.com/griffiths/galway/kilcummin.htm

There was also another possible sibling - the free index on IFHF shows a John Thomas born to a Matthew and Mary Thomas in 1843 in Kilcummin.

Tara

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 05 March 14 17:32 GMT (UK) »
The 1820's of Kilcummin Galway shows a Patrick Thomas and a Matthew Thomas farming in the area - a defo possibility for your ancestor !

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0ybe/

Tara

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 05 March 14 17:38 GMT (UK) »
This is a beautiful article on Knockilaree where the Thomas' lived !

http://www.oughterardheritage.org/page_id__322_path__0p3p.aspx

Tara

Offline kevmac90

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 05 March 14 17:40 GMT (UK) »
Thx...Looking at the records, it does look like Matt and Patt were related.  I'll have to look into the John born to Matt/Mary Thomas. Likely a brother to the John and Patrick who went to Massachusetts.

John is my 2x grandfather and the Patrick you found was his brother.  The DOB is his death record is off by 10 years.

Appreciate the help and a second look at what I am finding!

Offline kevmac90

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 05 March 14 23:06 GMT (UK) »
So - finally sat down and looked at this.  I think you found the birth record for my second great grandfather John Thomas in 1843.  I looked at all of the records for him and he is all over the place with his year of birth - from 1844 to 1851.  Maybe he didn't know as it appears he came to America as a teenager.

John's father was Mathew (or maybe Matt).  I know he was born in Wales - probably around 1795 since that is when his wife Mary Conway was born.

I believe there are two Patrick's or Patt's.  One is Mathew's brother possibly.  The other is definitely John's brother.

My best guess is that Mathew died and Mary took her two sons (or more?) to the US.  According to John's naturalization records, the arrived in Boston in May 1863.  Patrick said he arrived in New York in Aug 1860.  I don't really know if they came together....Since Patrick was married in Ireland - he would likely have traveled with his wife, I suppose.

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 05 March 14 23:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi There

Just to clarify how I see your tree at present :

Matthew Thomas b 1795 Wales

(His parent's could have been Welsh and then for whatever reason emmigrated to Galway OR they could have been from Galway and had gone to Wales for a time, had Matthew and returned to Galway - either way that may never been known).

So, we know that in 1828 there was a Matthew Thomas in Kilcummin Galway and also a Patrick Thomas (this Patrick could have been either Matthew's father OR Matthew's brother).

We know that in 1832 Matthew Thomas married Mary Conway in Kilcummin Galway.

We know that Matthew and Mary had a son called Patrick whom was born about 1834 in Kilcummin (so was probably their first born child) - to clarify PATRICK MARRIED IN THE US as per the marriage that I sent you.

They had a son called John Thomas born 1843 Kilcummin (your GG Grandfather).

You now have an exact area in Knockilaree where the family were for a time.

Now, your issue is that Irish civil records only began in 1864 so you are lucky to have gotten the few church records that you have !

Kilcummin Church records are far and few between for that time.

You may pick up a few other bits and pieces of random info from this site !

https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/Kilcummin_Civil_Parish,_County_Galway

Tara

Offline kevmac90

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 05 March 14 23:42 GMT (UK) »
Yes - you pretty much have it except that the marriage you posted for Patrick is his 2nd marriage.  He married a Mary Kelly in Kilcummin on 21 Sep 1859 I believe.  The mother of Patrick's children in Brookline is listed as Mary Kelly.

My mother has always said that Thomas was a Welsh name.  I think she was surprised when I traced her family to Galway (though John J, her g-grandfather, always said he was born in Ireland - in every record).

I'll look at your link in the morning.  THANKS!!