Author Topic: Percy Sisson South Nott's Hussars.  (Read 680 times)

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
Percy Sisson South Nott's Hussars.
« on: Friday 26 December 14 21:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi, while reading a piece from a local newspaper regarding a member of my wife's family being listed as missing during the second world war, we found out that his father was a member of the South Nott's Hussar's during the first world war.
His name was Percy Sisson 1883 - 1956
He was living in Bulwell with his wife Edith, and was shown as a General carter in 1911.
I have looked on Ancestry and the only person who "Could" match is a Percy Sisson in the South Nott's Hussars No1129
and Machine Gun Corps 280253/164925, there does not appear to be any other records for him regarding enlistment or service and was therefore wondering if anyone has any suggestions regarding the course of action I could take with a view to find anything out regarding his time during the war.
Many thanks for reading my post and my best regards always.

Frank.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Percy Sisson South Nott's Hussars.
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 December 14 01:08 GMT (UK) »
The date & theatre of war in indicate he landed in Egypt on 26/04/1915. The following gives some brief information:

http://www.1914-1918.net/snottshuss.htm

1/1st Nottinghamshire Yeomanry (South Notts Hussars) formed part of the 2nd Mounted Division & you'll see there's a link to the right entitled "the campaign in Galipoli" which gives more information.  You may want to read it all but the bit involving the 2nd Mounted Division is mainly here:

http://www.1914-1918.net/hamiltons_gallipoli_despatch_3.html

I've looked for a war diary at TNA but there doesn't seem to be one.

I'm no expert - just learned bits from my own family research - so hopefully someone else will come along and add some more.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 December 14 13:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi jomot, many thanks for the reply, I have looked at the links you provided and they are going to make very interesting reading, thank you so much.
I have dug the book back out and read the piece regarding Percy, it ties in with the medal card:

"His father served with the Notts and South Derbyshire Hussars in the east in the last war"

so I actually misquoted in my opening post  :-\

Frank.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 22 January 15 18:11 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks to Jomot for assistance, this thread is now completed with thanks  :)

Frank.