Author Topic: Llanfachreth church  (Read 12124 times)

Offline Dolgellau

• -
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Llanfachreth church
« Reply #18 on: Monday 28 February 11 21:06 GMT (UK) »
Sorry I put the wrong age in the translation, as the Welsh version says he was 87 years old when he died, giving an approximate birth year of 1796, which is still two years off the baptismal year. So you might want to be cautious about the baptism, but it is the nearest David Robert in the BTs; and before compulsory education, people tended to be a bit hazy about how old they were.

In the 1841 census the instruction was to round down the ages of persons 15 years and over to the nearest five years. So a person aged 38 would be recorded as 35, one of 63 as 60 and so on.

The burial is the correct one. If you look at the 1861 census, you will see the same family living in Penyresgynfa as was in Tyddyn Arthur in 1841 and 1851.

Offline Deryn

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 28 February 11 21:33 GMT (UK) »
Ah with you now Dolgellau !

That means if I go to Llanfachreth church I will be able to see my gr gr gr grandfather and gr gr gr grandmother's graves. Is there just the one church in Llanfachreth ?

By the way I don't have access to any census' so any info you could send me would be most appreciated.

What else can I say ? THANK YOU.

Deryn

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 28 February 11 21:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Deryn,

I see that a lot has transpired since I was last on line but I have found a tree on Ancestry.co.uk which has the full family.

David and Jane Roberts had 12 children including Jane in 1834. It includes her marriage to Thomas Lloyd and her death in Toxteth Park.

The tree also includes the families of two of her siblings, Catherine and Laura. If you can send me a personal message with your email address, I can pass it on to the owner of the tree.

I have also found Tyddyn Arthur on an old map and on Google Street View, although it looks as though it may have been rebuilt. An attractive setting, quite a way from the church, almost in Bontnewydd.

Regards,
David

Offline Deryn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 28 February 11 22:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi David,

yes Jane and Thomas lived in Toxteth, Liverpool. They had a son when they lived in Gloucester before they moved to Liverpool. His name was Robert, my gr grandfather. I had lots of fun tracing that part of the family ! I shouldn't say 'fun' as it had quite a tragic ending !

There is a Farm Tyddyn Arthur which is now a holiday hotel, I wonder if it is the same one ?

I shall check out Street view too.

many thanks David,

Deryn

Offline Dolgellau

• -
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 01 March 11 05:08 GMT (UK) »

That means if I go to Llanfachreth church I will be able to see my gr gr gr grandfather and gr gr gr grandmother's graves. Is there just the one church in Llanfachreth ?

Yes you can see the graves, and yes they are in the one and only Church graveyard in Llanfachreth. There are some chapel burial plots, and some of your family may be interred in those, but David and Jane are sleeping within the grounds of the Church in your picture.

Offline Dolgellau

• -
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 01 March 11 05:22 GMT (UK) »
The 1841 Census has then following living in Tyddyn Arthur, Llanfachreth:

David Robert 45 Farmer
Jane Robert 35
Elizabeth Robert 15
Griffith Robert 15
Margaret Robert 9
<b>Jane Robert 7 </b>
Anne Robert 5
Mary Robert 2
Mary Robert 9 MO

All are born within the County of Merioneth. That is all that is in the 1841 census, no further details are available.

Offline Dolgellau

• -
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 01 March 11 05:38 GMT (UK) »
1851 Census

Tyddyn Arthur

David Roberts 57 Head Married, Slater and Farmer of 50 acres born Llanfachreth
Jane Roberts 49  Wife born Llanfachreth
Griffith Roberts 25 son Slater born Llanfachreth
Anne Roberts 16  born Llanfachreth
Lowery Roberts 10 born Llanfachreth
Robert Roberts 7 born Llanfachreth
William Roberts 5 born Llanfachreth
Elinor Roberts 2 MO born Llanfachreth

Offline Deryn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 01 March 11 06:45 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much,

work calls so I will check back on all this, this evening.

Deryn

Offline Rol

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 02 March 11 05:37 GMT (UK) »

A good discovery by David that someone on the Anc***ry.com site is on the same trail!  But I think that a health-warning is worth posting about the paternity there shown (at the time of writing) for Jane Roberts's future husband Thomas Lloyd -- i.e., one Edward Lloyd,  a sawyer at Everton.  For details,  see Reply 11 in Deryn's Denbighshire thread focused on the Lloyds of Llanbedr.

Rol

(Crown and other relevant copyrights acknowledged, including - but without limitation to - census information from wwwnationalarchives.gov.uk)