Author Topic: Cumming,John and or George Imlach, Banffshire  (Read 14847 times)

Offline spacecookie

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cumming,John and or George Imlach, Banffshire
« on: Thursday 16 May 13 02:30 BST (UK) »
Hi. I am trying to find any information on a John Cumming, we think is the Father of George Imlach Cumming born Banff 1825. That is all the info we have. George Imlach Cumming was a Solidier and served in the 57th Regiment as a Sergeant Major in several wars, Crimea, India and finally as a Major in NewZealand Land Wars where he died.He married Catherine Belson (Ireland) in Malta in 1857 (died), then Married Emma Smith in Poona, Bombay India 1860, and was sent to NZ to the Land Wars.I have not been able to find anything on his birth, siblings(if any) or Parents. Any help would be much appreciated.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Cumming,John and or George Imlach, Banffshire
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 16 May 13 09:22 BST (UK) »
Where did you get his birth year from, and when you say he was born in Banff, do you mean in the burgh of Banff, the parish of Banff or the county of Banff? And where did this infomation come from?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline spacecookie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 16 May 13 23:53 BST (UK) »
Hi,George Imlach Cumming was my husbands Great Great Grandfather.They got the military info from his records here in NZ.As far as i know all the information on his birth is all anyone could find in his papers etc and only had Banff and his year of birth.There appears to be no birth Cert.There has been a few of his family researching him and have come up with nothing much else.Unless of course they have got where he was born wrong. He did come from Scotland though.One of the family had his father listed as John Cumming,but not comfirmed.He was well known in NZ for his role in the 57th foot regiment in the NZ Land Wars, where he was sent from India.He and his wife Emma both died here.Im afraid it has become a bit of a dead end.

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 17 May 13 05:23 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I was looking to see if any connection to my Cumming's, no such luck.

Edited : Sorry, wrong info posted, thought he was the John Cummins that was in the 57th Regiment.

Cheers
KHP
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 17 May 13 08:21 BST (UK) »
As far as i know all the information on his birth is all anyone could find in his papers etc and only had Banff and his year of birth.
Ah, yes. Where and when did he actually enlist? What was his occupation in civilian life?

There appears to be no birth Cert.
There wouldn't be. Statutory civil registration didn't start until 1855, so there was no such thing as a birth certificate before then.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline spacecookie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 25 May 13 05:21 BST (UK) »
Hi, thanks for getting back to me. I managed to get a little more information about his military history from a family member.It says enlisted 22 july 1843,57th regiment stating he was born in Banff. Went to India 6/12/1843 Sikhs uprising until 28/12/1846. Crimean War1843,promoted to Corporal 19/1/1850.Promoted to Colour Sergeant 6/11/1854. Sergeant Major 19/7/1855 for service in the Crimean War,awarded several medals.Posted to Malta 1856-1858. Sent from India to New Zealand 1860 arrived 21/1/1861 where he served and decided to stay and where he died. It still doesnt say where he enlisted though, but i guess a bit more to go on. I will keep digging. thanks.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 25 May 13 08:09 BST (UK) »
I can't find anything in the usual places to help you. However, a birth in northern Banffshire does make sense. The name Imlach is very much a Banffshire name (in Aberdeenshire Imlay and Imlah are the usual spellings). There are records of men called George Imlach in the Rathven, Fordyce, Boyndie area at the correct time and your man might well be called after one of these.

Offline spacecookie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 25 May 13 09:36 BST (UK) »
Hi, its hard alright.Funny how there seems to be records of him everywhere except his birth country.There is always the possibility that he may also have not been that truthfull on his enlistment either, especially concerning age. I dont know how thorough on that they were then.It would have made him 18.One of the reasons we have not alot of info on him is he died and left a wife with three children destitute here in NZ 1873, and then his wife died 1877 destitute and the children were found and taken in by a family so hence no personel papers. Another avenue is i will try and see if they have copies of marriages in Malta for his first marriage,they may list parents i dont know. Worth investigating when i find how to do it. thanks for taking the time.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 25 May 13 15:00 BST (UK) »
I asked if you had Georges NZ Death Cert on your other thread.

This is the only John/Jean combo I can find;

1871 Census
18E Miller Street,
Glasgow Barony, Lanarkshire
John CUMMING, 70, Head, Foundry Gate Keeper, born Marnoch, Banffshire
Jean Cumming, 69, Wife, born Marnoch

Now Trees have Georges Parents as JOHN Cumming and Jean JAMIESON.

Remember Jean/Jane are interchangable names;

Marriage;
13 Nov 1819, Church Banff V, Banff, Banffshire
John CUMMING and Jane JAMIESON

1851 John is born c 1801 Warwick, Banfshire, Jane c 1802 Warwick;
Children;
James 1831
William 1829

Only Baptism I could find;
County,Banffshire
Place,   Macduff
Church,Gamrie
DateOfBirth, 01 Dec 1822
BaptismDate, 08 Dec 1822
Forename, JAMES
Sex   M
FatherForename   John
MotherForename   Jane
FatherSurname   CUMMING
MotherSurname   JAMIESON
Abode, Macduff
FatherOccupation, Mason
Notes, Wit: James Smith in Macduff & Geo. Jamieson in Culbirnie

Marriage/Baptism on FreeREG

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)