Author Topic: Cafferkey/Cafferky/Cafferty currasallagh Near Lisacul Ballaghdereen Rosscommon  (Read 36709 times)

Offline cafferkey

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for anything from anyone on this family name in that area, had a grand father called Martin, his father was John, in the 1901 census, martin and his dad (john) and Patrick (johns farther) who was in his 70's lived together in the same house with siblings, so wondered if anyone knew these and there descendants.

going further back, think patricks farther was john (shaun), but not sure

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
I will need to look when I am back home but there is a connection in our family to Cafferkeys (not direct)
If I am correct either a sister of my Grandfather or Grandmother married a Cafferkey
I am finding this side difficult to piece together

I will reply again later
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Sent PM with details

Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline cafferkey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Cafferkey/Cafferky/Cafferty currasallagh Near Lisacul Ballaghdereen Rosscomm
« Reply #3 on: Friday 15 July 11 19:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks for message, any info is good, I know the place you are on about, not too far away, but there seems to be a few cafferkeys around that area.

Look forward to hearing from you

Martin

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Cafferkey/Cafferky/Cafferty currasallagh Near Lisacul Ballaghdereen Rosscommon
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 16 July 11 08:06 BST (UK) »
My Cafferkeys are from Driney, Loughglynn:

Anne McDERMOTT m John CAFFERKEY 1891
Anne's sister Brigid married my great grand father Andrew MANNION of Clonkeen

Anne McDERMOTT-CAFFERKEY is listed on 1901 census with her parents and her three children
She is listed on 1911 census with her mother and again her three children

Her husband John is listed on both as living with his sister in the the same townland!!
Further generations:

Offline Lisacul Rosie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Cafferkey/Cafferky/Cafferty currasallagh Near Lisacul Ballaghdereen Rosscommon
« Reply #5 on: Friday 16 September 11 10:15 BST (UK) »
I hope I do not add to your confusion, but my Gtgdmother, Mary (1861-1927) I believe was a Cafferky. In her will are mentioned three witnesses, Patrick and John Cafferky,and Anthony Towey.In addition one of the beneficiaries was her neice Mary Cafferky, I can only assume to be John or Patricks Daughter.
If you visit askaboutireland.ie and search the Griffiths valuation, only entering Cafferky and Roscommon as search items you will source 11 results. seven of which are in Curraghsallagh the remainder are close to Loughglynn.
Visit the details option and record the position on the page number for all seven and then select the second map view option. After zooming in you will be able to see exactly where each family resided from the p.o.p. number and observe that they all lived within a stones throw of each other .
Selecting the satelite view option will allow you to superimpose the old map view onto the satelite view using the horizontal bar in the right top of the window.
All this said it would appear that they all share a common heritage,the only difference is the emergence of key as opposed to ky in certain surnames. The Lafferty family, 3 in Roscommon in the mid 1840s all in Curraghsallagh are I believe closely related, the break only being made with the Anglicanisation of Irish surnames.
If you ever get the opportunity to visit I am pretty sure you'll be falling over all th e Cafferkys in and around Lisacul. Of note there are two cemetries The new Kilrooan cemetry which dates from about 1958, and the old Kilrooan cemetry on the site of the old church which is a short walk from the new cemetry.

Good Luck in your hunt
Padraig McGreal

Offline Lisacul Rosie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 24 September 11 14:10 BST (UK) »
Hello Cafferky',

Have dug a little deeper and the connection is a little closer than I thought . From the census record you have referred to, your Ggfather was married to a Maria who I now understand was a Mcgreal from Curraghsallagh,Lisacul. As the only McGreal's in the Townland are of my line it appears your Ggmother and my Ggfather were siblings.

I am aware that a number of Cafferky families were still in Curraghsallagh a few years ago, and possibly a letter to the parish priest at Christ The King Church ,Lisacul may prove fruitful.

On a sad note Martin had a sibling John who served in the Great War details can be viewed at http://twgpp.org/information.php?id=3050662. His age varies slightly from that on the census as does the correct spelling of the name,but the John,Maria of Curraghsallagh are clearly identified.

Good Luck.

Offline cafferkey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 20 February 13 11:16 GMT (UK) »
hi there

I know my great grand mother was mary mcgreal, she died in the 1938, born 1849 as far as I know..i have her parents as peter mcgreal and Catherine Finnegan...
, so any help there would be good.

Offline cafferkey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 20 February 13 11:21 GMT (UK) »
my aunt still lives in lisacul, and has cousins who are mcgreals, her name is Nellie cafferkey...mary mcgreal, was my great grand mother, she died in 1938, born 1849 as far as I know..i have her parents as peter mcgreal and Catherine Finnegan...

Hello Cafferky',

Have dug a little deeper and the connection is a little closer than I thought . From the census record you have referred to, your Ggfather was married to a Maria who I now understand was a Mcgreal from Curraghsallagh,Lisacul. As the only McGreal's in the Townland are of my line it appears your Ggmother and my Ggfather were siblings.

I am aware that a number of Cafferky families were still in Curraghsallagh a few years ago, and possibly a letter to the parish priest at Christ The King Church ,Lisacul may prove fruitful.

On a sad note Martin had a sibling John who served in the Great War details can be viewed at http://twgpp.org/information.php?id=3050662. His age varies slightly from that on the census as does the correct spelling of the name,but the John,Maria of Curraghsallagh are clearly identified.

Good Luck.