Author Topic: Margaret Kilroy b. 1863, Cam & Kiltoom, Roscommon  (Read 5275 times)

Offline TOM1972

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Margaret Kilroy b. 1863, Cam & Kiltoom, Roscommon
« on: Sunday 17 February 13 18:24 GMT (UK) »
My Great Grand Aunt, Margaret Kilroy was christened 18.1.1863 in Cam & Kiltoom, Roscommon, Ireland.  Her parents were Michael Kilroy b. 1834 approx, and Eliza Kilroy nee Duffy b. 1843 approx.  Both according to census docs were born in Athlone.  I think they married in Ireland, approx 1862-3, but not sure where specifically.  They travelled to the UK by 1865 as their next child Edward Joseph Kilroy was born in 1865 in Salford, Lancashire.

I have found Margaret's christening on familysearch, but the only other info I have about the earlier members of the family are, Eliza's mother was called Ellen b. 1807 in Balllinasloe, County Galway?  I can't get any further back to find Ellen's Husband's details. Nor can I find any other details regarding Michael Kilroy's, parents.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks, Tom.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret Kilroy b. 1863, Cam & Kiltoom, Roscommon
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 February 13 20:13 GMT (UK) »
Hello Tom,

did the family stay in Manchester? I was thinking if Ellen died, her death certificate would hopefully have her husband's name on it.

regards
heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline TOM1972

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 17 February 13 20:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Heywood,

Thanks for your reply.  Yes, the family did stay in Manchester, well I know Ellen was listed on the 1871 census as living with the family in Salford, thats originally where I got her name from.  She was no longer listed on the 1881, so I am presuming she died in Salford between those dates. I am presuming her Husband came over with them too, but I couldn't say for sure.

I will have to try and find her date of death and go from there.  It doesn't really help with the surnames being Kilroy and Duffy, both quite prominent Irish Names too!  And I think they lived in Louth for a bit before coming to England, so they are tricky to pin down.

Thanks again,

Tom.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 17 February 13 20:54 GMT (UK) »
Yes it is difficult- Family Search has the names in Roscommon, Ballinasloe and Athlone! They are quite close though so all three places could be adopted I suppose at any one time.

1871 the family were in Manchester and 1881 in Salford. Ellen was 64 yrs in 1871

Free BMD has deaths: Ellen Duffey 57 yrs in 1874 Salford and Ellen Duffy 62 yrs in 1878 Manchester  :-\  Ages often do not tally though.

Offline TOM1972

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 17 February 13 21:08 GMT (UK) »
Hmm, that's the frustrating part, it means that I would have to order both death certs, and it could still be the wrong one.  Between the 1871 and 1881 census, they must have moved about 10 minutes up the road and into Salford, she could be buried in either Manchester or Salford! Knowing my luck, she's probably decided to go back to Ireland, died, and they have buried her at sea!!!
Oh Joy, this should be fun! 

It wouldn't be so bad if If could find out where Michael and Eliza were married, at least I could possibly get her father's name from her marriage cert.

Oh my head hurts now!

Regards, Tom.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 17 February 13 21:12 GMT (UK) »
There is an interesting thread here about the various parishes.

Offline TOM1972

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 17 February 13 21:21 GMT (UK) »
 :'( Now my head REALLY hurts!  No wonder it gets confusing, its split up all over the place!

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 17 February 13 21:26 GMT (UK) »
Manchester cemeteries has a burial which is probably the 1878 one - a communal grave

Offline TOM1972

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 17 February 13 21:34 GMT (UK) »
Strangely enough, I have looked at that one on the online burial records search and I am going down to Philips Park Cemetery this week to see if I can get a photo of a grave for someone on here who lives in Canada, I'll have to take a look.  The only prob is that a lot of the public graves headstones are laid flat, they have sunk and the grass has grown over them.

Doesn't stop me though, I go along armed with a garden hoe and a stiff brush!

I'll get arrested for grave robbing one of these days! :o