Author Topic: The Gaelic Chapel in Perth  (Read 10483 times)

Offline AsMcP

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The Gaelic Chapel in Perth
« on: Monday 23 July 12 10:04 BST (UK) »
What is known of the Gaelic Chapel in Perth, and does it's name suggest that the services were in Gaelic?

Offline bleckie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: The Gaelic Chapel in Perth
« Reply #1 on: Monday 23 July 12 12:43 BST (UK) »
Hi

have a look at the link below

http://www.alternative-perth.co.uk/churches.htm

Yours Aye
BruceL

Offline AsMcP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 26 July 12 14:46 BST (UK) »
Thank you Bruce: very infomative.
Al

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 15 June 13 16:43 BST (UK) »
Hi B,

Interesting reading. I knew there was a gaelic society in Perth (whereabouts unknown)? but it was interesting to discover the Gaelic Church was once the place I used to go to disco's when I was still at school, St. Stephens Church, Paradise Place & I lived near the St. Stephen's in Muirton too  :)

Annie

P.S. Please Stay by The Cryin' Shames was the end of night slow dance & what memories I have :P
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline bleckie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 15 June 13 19:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Annie

All now demolished except the Gaelic Chapel still there

yours aye
BruceL

Offline HeatherConnie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 20 July 14 21:51 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the interesting link Bruce. I've just discovered that my 4xgreat grandparents William and Janet Roy were married in the Gaelic Chapel in 1805, so this has helped me add detail to my family story. Heather
Adam, Allan, Anderson, Barrett, Berry, Blues, Booth, Brodie, Brough, Bruce, Bullions, Butchart, Caithness, Cameron, Cargill, Cochrane, Craig, Doig, Black, Falconer, Fotheringham, Gavine, Gray, Lilburn, Lynn, Martin, McBay, McDonald, McKechnie, Melville, Menzies, Moir, Mudie, Murray, Myles, Pike, Proudfoot, Roberts, Rollo, Roy, Rutherford, Sandiman, Scott, Stephen, Stewart, Taylor, Thornton, Whyte.

Offline TropiConsul

• RootsChat Senior
  • gg-grandfather, founder of Comfort, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 21 July 14 05:13 BST (UK) »
My gg-grandfather's baptism record shows:  "Donald Campbell lawful son to James Campbell sawyer residing in the said parish and Christian Forbes his Spouse and Baptized on the seventeenth day of August the said year by the Reverend Duncan McFarlane minister of the Gaelic Chapel in Perth.  West Church parish Perth the 3rd day of August one thousand eight hundred twenty-three was born."

My notes show:  "Smuaintean Cudthromacha, mu Bhas agus fulangas ar Slanui'f hir, le Mr. Do'nall Caimbeul, ministeir an t-soisgeil an Cille-mhi-cheil, air an tiundadh gu Gailig Albannuich, le D. Macpharlain, A.M. 'an dara uair. Clo-bhuailte an Peairt, le D. Frier, 1800." 12mo.

We have not been able to find the first Edition, it was translated by Duncan M'Pharlane, Minister of the Gaelic Chapel, Perth."

The reverend is credited as author for: "Campbell on the Sacrament, by the Rev. Duncan Mac Farlane, Minister of the Gaelic Chapel, Perth".  From Bibliotheca scoto-celtica; OR, AN ACCOUNT OF ALL THE BOOKS WHICH HAVE BEEN PRINTED IN THE GAELIC LANGUAGE, by John Reid, published 1832.

When I went looking for the parents of Donald, I found both of them on the same page of the Dull OPR.  That saved me a couple of bob!  "Christian, daughter to Donald Forbes and Mary Campbell was baptized tax pd, Oct. 16th, 1785"
Two lines later, "James son to Donald Campbell and Janet McDonald in Coshievile was baptized tax paid Oct 21st 1785"
Campbell, McDonald, Sprague, Dunsmore, Altgelt, Paterson, Gordon, Rennie, Gorrie, Myles, Forbes, Stewart, Robertson,  Scott, McEwan, MacCallum, McLagan, Perth, Dull, Lanark, Airdrie, Campbeltown, Saddell, Kessington, Cochno, Milngavie, Rutherglen, Kilsyth, Dundee, Killin, Ferryport-on-Craig, Kirkintilloch, Ohio, New York, Inverness-shire, Blair Atholl, Mathie

Offline buckhyne

• RootsChat Veteran
  • James Lawrie & Mary Ann Watson (1878)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 21 July 14 10:19 BST (UK) »
I'm certain there was a Gaelic Chapel in Canal Street.
Next door to the old Love's saleroom there is/used to be a nightclub.
I can remember a wee bronze plaque on the wall saying this was the site of the Gaelic Chapel.
The nightclub was given a coat of white paint and of course they painted over the plaque as well.
It should still be there.
Lawrie name in Fife (and elsewhere) with all its various spellings.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 28 July 14 22:04 BST (UK) »
If my memory is correct, the original Nightclub was Electric Whispers ?

A.
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"