Author Topic: 16 broomielaw......  (Read 4424 times)

Offline paulsplace2009

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
16 broomielaw......
« on: Monday 24 October 11 15:48 BST (UK) »
hi everyone

in  1865, my great great grandmother was living at 16 broomielaw.

i tried to find this address on googlemaps, and if the map is right, then one of the bridges that runs into central station, seems to run through the buildinf that google maps says is my ancestors home!!

can anyone shed any light on this, or tell me exactly where 16 broomielaw would ahve stood?

thanks

paul
REID
BROWN
KERR
COPELAND

GLASGOW AND ARGYLL
KERR - ANDERSTON(GLASGOW) & ARGYLL
REID/BROWN - GOVAN
COPELAND - GLASGOW

IRELAND
LEITCH
DUFFY

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 16 broomielaw......
« Reply #1 on: Monday 24 October 11 15:55 BST (UK) »

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 24 October 11 16:38 BST (UK) »
The bridge across to Central station didn't open till 1879.
Elwyn

Offline paulsplace2009

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 24 October 11 16:47 BST (UK) »
hey

i think they stayed at 16 broomielaw for quite a while because on elizabeths mother in laws death cert, she died at 16 broomielaw in 1870. her name was ann gorman.

thanks

REID
BROWN
KERR
COPELAND

GLASGOW AND ARGYLL
KERR - ANDERSTON(GLASGOW) & ARGYLL
REID/BROWN - GOVAN
COPELAND - GLASGOW

IRELAND
LEITCH
DUFFY

Offline still_looking

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 04 November 14 12:51 GMT (UK) »
Hello

I found mention of this post via a search for the address.

16 Broomielaw was also the address of Buchanan Court, you accessed these buildings via a passageway from Broomielaw

http://digital.nls.uk/directories/browse/pageturner.cfm?id=87852675&mode=transcription

In 1836, Buchanan Court is described as housing 47 families consisting of 170 persons.

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=cztBAAAAcAAJ&pg=PA31&lpg=PA31&dq=statistics+of+the+church+accommodation+of+Glasgow&source=bl&ots=OpATVeKKYF&sig=FEgcJsMgklZiSrK2UBHReM0En94&hl=en&sa=X&ei=EMlYVIvTB5KyuAT51IHgDg&ved=0CC8Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=buchanan%20court&f=false

If you look at the 1841 return of the destitute you'll also find it mentioned there under the same address, 16 Broomielaw. The remarks in that report give some indication of the conditions folk were living in at that time.

http://www.glasgowlife.org.uk/libraries/the-mitchell-library/archives/collections/destitute-return/Pages/default.aspx

It is visible in some of the earlier maps near Jamaica street e.g.
http://maps.nls.uk/view/74953132#zoom=5&lat=4406&lon=14492&layers=BT

There are a few photos of the general area available but none of Buchanan Court itself that I know of apart from the glimpse of one of the buildings during the demolition work for the building of the railway bridge.

Hope that all helps.

S_L

Online Lodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 04 November 14 16:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Paul,

It's a small world. I had ancestors who lived at 16 Broomielaw for about 20 years. I have a poor relief claim dated 9th July 1855 and the address is given as "16 Broomielaw Street, far back stair on left, 2 up above the shop with Mary McMillan".
The family name was McNamara (sometimes Macnamara) the husband was Darby (Jeramiah) McNamara and his wife was Bridget Moran. After Darby's death in 1874 (according to his son Michael's poor relief claim of 1877) his widow Mary was living at Wood Lane, which was just around the corner.

Lodger
Paterson, Torrance, Gilchrist - Hamilton Lanarkshire. 
McCallum - Oban, McKechnie - Ross of Mull Argyll.
Scrim - Perthshire. 
Liddell - Polmont,
Binnie - Muiravonside Stirlingshire.
Curran, McCafferty, Stevenson, McCue - Co Donegal
Gibbons, Weldon - Co Mayo.
Devlin - Co Tyrone.
Leonard - County Donegal & Glasgow.

Offline TetleyT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 26 September 19 05:22 BST (UK) »
It has been a while since 16 Broomielaw was discussed, but I am posting here hoping there might still be some posters around.  This turns out to be a significant address on my family tree.

I was finally able to make some progress on one family line when I found my 4th great grandfather's name was listed as Patrick on documents rather that Peter as was listed on one of his children's marriage registrations.  Patrick Clark was born between 1790-and 1800 in Ireland.  He had at least two daughters, born in the 1930's in Castlewellan, County Down, Ireland, and possibly one son.  His occupation was listed as a Gentleman's Servant.  Somewhere before 1851 he moved to Glasgow, Scotland with his wife and children, and his daughters married two brothers in Glasgow in 1855.  In 1851, Patrick Clark was listed as being a soldier and Chelsea Pensioner, but I have no information on his military service.  He was also noted as being a lodging house keeper at 16 Broomielaw, Buchanan Court.  He lived there with his wife and he remained there in that position until his death in 1873.

I thought I would Google that address to see if I could find out more of his background and this thread is what I found.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 26 September 19 09:37 BST (UK) »
Superb thread, great pic's! Did the tour of Central Station last week which includes a visit to the dunnies under the station & the old street lay-out. We got down as far as the Heilanman's Umbrella, sadly not the roof!
 Book online, cost about £13.

Skoosh.