Author Topic: Divorce records - Glasgow - 1900s  (Read 2763 times)

Offline spstevenson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Divorce records - Glasgow - 1900s
« on: Sunday 26 October 14 10:04 GMT (UK) »
Hello all,

Could I pick your brains for where I might find a divorce record from the 1900s. Or were the working class unlikely to go down the formal route of divorce?

I found my great grandfather, Robert Stevenson, in the 1901 Census married to Rose Ann Carberry and living in Glasgow. They went on to have four children - the last (John) born around 1902/03.

By the 1911 Census, Robert is boarding with Mary Jane Chapman in Glasgow - whom he later goes on to marry in 1913. In the 1911 Census, Rose Ann is with the four children in Rothesay.

It looks like Rose Ann kept using her married name of Stevenson. On her death cert, it's stated that she's married to Robert Stevenson.

Is there likely to be a formal record of divorce between Robert Stevenson and Rose Ann Carberry?

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

Sharon
SCOTLAND  - Stevenson, Livingston, Cairns / Kearns, Chapman, McNally, Little (Lanarkshire)
IRELAND O'Connor, O'Regan, Frawley (Limerick), McCann, Austin, Pender (South County Dublin)

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Divorce records - Glasgow - 1900s
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 October 14 10:39 GMT (UK) »
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 October 14 10:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi spstevenson,

Did a search n the updated NAS site, and found no record of divorce.

See this site,

http://catalogue.nrscotland.gov.uk/nrsonlinecatalogue/search.aspx

then click on simple search screen. Hope this helps.

Tom
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Offline spstevenson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 October 14 13:01 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for the replies.

I'll try searching with the various permutations of the names. Discovered that Carberry is returned as Carbrough on Rose Ann's birth cert.

S.
SCOTLAND  - Stevenson, Livingston, Cairns / Kearns, Chapman, McNally, Little (Lanarkshire)
IRELAND O'Connor, O'Regan, Frawley (Limerick), McCann, Austin, Pender (South County Dublin)

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 26 October 14 13:25 GMT (UK) »
Have you actually found a marriage certificate for the "first" marriage? Perhaps they never got round to actually marrying. If you find a marriage certificate for the "second" marriage, you will see how he described himself (bachelor/widower/divorced). Maybe he just deserted his first wife and lived with the second woman.

Offline Jolee

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 26 October 14 13:33 GMT (UK) »
In 1913 when Robert and Mary Jane married he states he is a bachelor she is a widow they are living at 194, Main Street South Glasgow. He is 40 she 39, they married in the Gorbals Parish church, witnessed by Robert Buchannan and Violet Fraser. I do not know anything about Scottish church rules but in the UK if he was divorced that marriage would not be allowed in church. He married Rose in 1893 again in the Gorbals.

Offline spstevenson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 26 October 14 13:44 GMT (UK) »
I have both marriage certs from 1893 & 1913.

Mary Jane Chapman was previously married to James Callaghan (also in 1893) until his death in 1909.

My dad has vague recollection of some family "scandal" so I'm wondering if this is it.

My money is on desertion of first family  >:(

As always - many thanks for your prompt and detailed responses folks!

Offline Jolee

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 26 October 14 13:50 GMT (UK) »
Further looking states that Mary Jane Chapman widow previous name Callahan maiden name I assume

Robert married Rose Carberry 0804/1893 he was 20 she was 19 married at 34, Abbotsford Place Glasgow. Witness by Cornelius Carberry and Agnes Jenkins. They were next door neighbours living at 10 and 12 Ninian Street Glasgow

Offline carolineasb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 27 October 14 21:06 GMT (UK) »
In the case where a husband and wife who have been married in Scotland go on to Divorce in Scotland, the original Marriage Register entry should be marked that they were divorced.  This will likely be an ink stamp on the entry and also may have the form of an RCE as the Divorce Extract may be attached to the Marriage Register Entry on Scotlands People.  Divorces were relatively uncommon in the early 20th Century except possibly for the aristocracy as it was a very expensive procedure.
Tannahill:  Ayrshire, Renfrewshire
Mulgrew/Milgrew:  Glasgow
Canning: Renfrewshire