Author Topic: 102, Byers Road, Hillhead 1930's  (Read 1573 times)

Offline skippy

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
102, Byers Road, Hillhead 1930's
« on: Monday 10 November 14 16:28 GMT (UK) »
Could someone please tell me how I can find out who lived at 102, Byers road in 1932/1935.
I have a wife and husband both died at this address , she in 1932 and him 1935.
I am curious to find out who else may have been living at the same address,

thank you

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 102, Byers Road, Hillhead 1930's
« Reply #1 on: Monday 10 November 14 19:33 GMT (UK) »
You have probably already looked at the street on Google street view. Most of the buildings that were there in the 1930s are still there. There is, however, no absolute guarantee that the house numbers are precisely as they were then. Sometimes there is a change.

As the building is likely to be a tenement with six to eight flats in all, it is difficult to be sure in which one somebody stayed. Records such as valuation rolls and voters' rolls rarely identify which flat in the tenement was occupied by a specific family. The valuation rolls for the period are available on-line, but only in certain archives in Scotland (e.g. National Records of Scotland, Edinburgh, Mitchell Library, Glasgow).

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 10 November 14 20:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi ,

Directories are available -
https://archive.org/stream/postofficeann193334glas#page/794/mode/2up

If I have the correct address , there are 5 different surnames at 102 Byers Road , Patrick 1934/35

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline skippy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 11 November 14 13:55 GMT (UK) »
I am so sorry for the late reply, my internet went down last night just as I was about to answer but all up and running now.

ev, thank you for the link, I had a look and there is a J.Muir at 102, byers road, this is the gent I was looking for.
I was hoping it might show other members of his family living there at the time but it just shows him.

GR2,
Thanks for replying,
I haven't looked at the valuation rolls yet so I will do so now.

Offline yokerbrian

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 16 November 14 08:16 GMT (UK) »
The Mitchell Library will have both the electoral register and the valuation rolls for this period. Unfortunately they are not available on line.

KELLY (Glasgow), DUNLOP (Ireland, Glasgow), PATERSON (Coatbridge), PATTERSON (Midlothian, Berwickshire), YOUNG (Eastwood), MUIR (Kilmarnock) CAMERON (Stirlingshire, Glasgow, Angus)

Offline skippy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 16 November 14 10:50 GMT (UK) »
Thank you yokerbrian,

Unfortunately I don't live in Glasgow so can't get to the Mitchell to look at these records so it will have to wait until my next visit.

There are a couple of other years I need to look up as well which are not online.

Offline deebel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 01 February 15 18:06 GMT (UK) »
deleted by posted
This post is a natural hand made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws. Unfortunately my preferred method of writing (Parker Quink on Basildon Bond) cannot be used.