Author Topic: Sarah Milward married ? Griffiths 1833  (Read 8185 times)

Offline Nimchimpsky

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sarah Milward married ? Griffiths 1833
« on: Saturday 27 April 13 15:52 BST (UK) »
Hi All

Another 'loop hole' in the family tree to resolve if anyone can be so kind please ...

Sarah Milward (b1804, Radnorshire) married a Griffiths in 1833 in Llanfihangel Nant Melan, Radnorshire. My first search gave me the name of 'Evan' Griffiths BUT there is a chance that it might be 'John' Griffiths ... can anyone help to identify the correct Griffiths please?

Also ...

Robert Milward born/baptised 1806, New Radnor, Radnorshire
Margaret Milward born/baptised 1808, New Radnor, Radnorshire
William Milward born/baptised 1811, New Radnor, Radnorshire

Can anyone please offer any help with regards to these people, there's no trace of them after their births/baptism dates?
A 'Margaret Griffiths' is a witness at a later 'Milward' wedding ... did Margaret also marry a Griffiths perhaps?

Many thanks as always in advance of any assistance or time spent looking.

Kind Regards
Nimchimpsky

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Milward married ? Griffiths 1833
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 April 13 16:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Nimchimpsky,

Sarah married John Griffiths, bachelor of Abbey Cwm Hir, on 1 Feb 1833.

Witnesses: Elizabeth Milward, Edward Evans and John Lewis (all parties signed).

Deirdre
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 April 13 16:32 BST (UK) »
Burial of Margaret, aged 8, on 23 Sep 1816 in New Radnor  :(
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline Nimchimpsky

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 27 April 13 17:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Deirdre

Many thanks to you once again for all your help, much appreciated as always.

That's a bit of a shock that Sarah married JOHN Griffiths  :o ... the census details for that era (and Sarah's details) would have suggested to me that EVAN was the more likely husband ... just goes to prove that you never take anything for granted with this research business. The 1841 census then shows they had four children but by 1851 the four children have been replaced by one child (with the same name but different birth year) ... Wow, they don't make it easy in 'them days' do they?  ;D
Better scratch my head a bit more me thinks.

Kind Regards
Nimchimpsky

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 27 April 13 22:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Nimchimpsky,

I've not looked at the censuses but from the parish registers I've found:

Children of John and Sarah, Try Manor or Trefanor?, farmer, baptised at Abbey Cwm Hir:
- Margaret, 21 Feb 1834
- Sarah, 15 Jul 1835
- Thomas, 10 Aug 1836 (buried 20 May 1859)
- John, 15 Aug 1837
- Edward and Evan, twins, on 25 May 1839 (Evan buried on 28 Jul 1840, Edward buried on 23 May 1844)

There's a burial for Sarah Griffiths, aged 37 of Dyvanner, on 27 Feb 1841.

Children of Evan and Sarah, farmer, Cwmgrenlyn?, baptised at Abbey Cwm Hir:
- Jane, 2 Jun 1834
- Evan, 22 Oct 1835
- Elizabeth, 4 Feb 1837
- Elizabeth, 9 Jan 1838 (haven't found a burial for the earlier Elizabeth)
- James, 29 Sep 1840
- daughter, sometime early in 1845, possibly Sophia buried in July 1854 aged 9

Burial of Evan on 9 April 1859, aged 60.

Hope it helps,

Deirdre

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 27 April 13 22:19 BST (UK) »
Have just found the 1841 censuses...

John and Sarah's daughter Sarah is not there; have found a burial on 20 Dec 1845 in Llanstephan for a Sarah Griffiths aged 8 months, could this be her?

Evan and Sarah had earlier children who I didn't find as I was looking for baptisms after the 1833 Sarah marriage.

Offline Nimchimpsky

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 27 April 13 22:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Deirdre

As always ... thanks a million for your vauable assistance in helping me.

Your research has brought up different children of John & Sarah compared to my research ... however ... I'm not convinced with my research and will certainly have a look at the details you have given ... and I've little doubt that you will be quite correct ... you are my star, thank you so much.

Kind Regards
Nimchimpsky

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 27 April 13 22:31 BST (UK) »
Me again!. The 1841 for John Griffiths at Devanner shows dad John with Margaret, Thomas, John and Edward as in the baptisms, though daughter Sarah is missing. Mum Sarah and baby Evan have died before the 1841.

The 2 Griffiths families must be difficult to separate, though all the parish baptisms and burials seem to suggest the same abode, with variations on the spelling.

Let me know if you want me to check anyone else you had in the family.

Deirdre

Offline Nimchimpsky

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 27 April 13 22:34 BST (UK) »
Hi 'Me Again'  ;D

Re: My email ... I thought I had found John & SARAH in the 1851 census ... I must have the wrong ones  >:(

;D