Author Topic: The Dormers in Buckingham  (Read 5459 times)

Offline Shepherdess

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The Dormers in Buckingham
« on: Wednesday 01 January 14 16:18 GMT (UK) »
I'm researching the Dormers. Henry Dormer was born in Denham in 1820. He married Martha Gwyn in 1842 in Paddington. Subsequently they lived in that area. However, I'm trying to find Henry's father named John on Henry's marriage certificate and described as a brewer. I wonder if anybody can help me as I realy am stuck!! Many thanks Shepherdess

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: The Dormers in Buckingham
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 01 January 14 17:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Shepherdess

Have you discounted this entry https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NJ6W-NKM (for this birth, parents' marriage here I think https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NJ13-BJ5).

Henry's age varied in the early censuses (1851 he showed as aged 40, later censuses he showed closer to 1820).

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 January 14 17:18 GMT (UK) »
Looking at his parish marriage entry from  1842, there is a Charlotte who acted as witness. The family above, John and Charlotte, also had a daughter Charlotte https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NRN1-LLL

On the 1842 marriage, you have as witnesses (can't make out Charlotte's surname as yet on this):

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 01 January 14 17:41 GMT (UK) »
I am rubbish at deciphering writing  :-X but could this Charlotte's surname on the 1842 marriage entry be Perry?

A possible marriage on 3rd Qrt 1838 between a Charlotte Dormer and (maybe, shows on the same page) a Francis Perry. Ref: Marylebone London vol. 1, pg 179....who I think also shows as a witness for Henry's marriage in 1842.

There is an entry in 1861 for a Charlotte Perry, 43, lodger, dress maker b. Denham - ref:  RG 9/80/20/35.

Monica

Offline Shepherdess

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 01 January 14 21:04 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that - I need to digest this and I'll be back tomorrow - Shepherdess

Offline Shepherdess

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 02 January 14 21:19 GMT (UK) »
Again, many thanks.  I'm 90% certain this is the right John Dormer.  I'm disappointed to think I paid (not very much) for Bucks Family History Society to search for me and they didn't come up with it!!  Never mind.  Is there any way I can find out if John Dormer was a brewer?  On his daughters marriage certificate it clearly states John was deceased. BFHS did come up with this but at the time I had nothing definite to link it to.  On Henry's marriage certificate it just states his parentage.  Does the certificate not have to say weather he was dead or not at the time of the marriage?
I know John died young but i can't find any more children, I'm sure there must have been some.
as the census that shows Charlotte on her own there is also a dormer listed - her neice - if I remember rightly.  that will be worth following up.  Again very many thanks - shepherdess

Offline supermoussi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 03 January 14 12:24 GMT (UK) »
Many of the C18th S.Bucks Dormers seem to Bricklayers. There is one publican listed on the A2A though but it seems to be in Marlow?:-

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/a2a/records.aspx?cat=008-clayton&cid=1-24-10-11&kw=john%20dormer#1-24-10-11

Offline Shepherdess

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 03 January 14 12:47 GMT (UK) »
I'm not sure that would be the right area but thanks for that anyway.  Back in those days, I don't think a brewer would be quite the same as we know them today.  There were no pubs but you could brew the beer/ale in your own house an sell it in the front room!  I don't know if you needed a license so it might be difficult to track this one down.

Any further information on Denham and the inhabitants would be most interesting.  Thank you  Shepherdess

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 03 January 14 14:29 GMT (UK) »

" There were no pubs . . . . . "
Ye Olde Fighting Cocks, St Albans, Hertfordshire. Considered to be the oldest pub in Britain (8th century) by the Guinness Book of Records. Claim disputed by . . . . .

". . . . . brew the beer/ale in your own house an sell it in the front room!" = "Beer/Alehouse"

Buckinghamshire Sessions Records: Volume 1. 1678 to 1694
 MIDSUMMER SESSION, 1691.
James Fish of Great Marlow, brewer, fined 13s. 4d. for selling a barrel of ale and a barrel of the best beer to William Hopkins, an unlicensed alehouse keeper.

"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).