Author Topic: Gill's from Wimborne, Dorset, England  (Read 10158 times)

Offline canadawolf

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Gill's from Wimborne, Dorset, England
« on: Wednesday 17 October 12 20:45 BST (UK) »
I am researching my family in Newfoundland and it stops at my ggg grandfather James Gill born abt 1799 in Wimborne Dorset England. From what i have been told he came to Newfoundland around 1830 with his 2 brothers Charles and George Gill... But i can't seem to find anything on them in Wimborne. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Pam Gill:(

Offline Victor Harvey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Victor is very ill, this account will close soon.
    • View Profile
Re: Gill's from Wimborne, Dorset, England
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 17 October 12 21:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Pam,
Welcome to RootsChat. It may be of interest to you that two 17th Century burials @ St Cuthburga, Wimborne, Dorset are probably your ancestors:-
May 8th, 1640, Thomas GILL
August 31st, 1640, James GILL
This is the ONLY data recorded in the parish records.
Victor
HARVEY, Guiting Power, Glos                     
PORTER, Gunmakers of Whitechapel
ALLEN - Blockley, BOWLES - Notgrove, BURROWS - Sevenhampton, COOK - Notgrove, DRINKWATER-LUNN - Aston Cross, FARDON - Temple Guiting, FAULKNER - Cheltenham, GADEN, GAYDEN, GAYDON, GRINHAM - Cheltenham, HART - Stow-on-the-Wold, LANE - Staverton, MOABY - Coln St Aldwyns, STAITE - Temple Guiting, TIMBRELL - Winchcombe, TYSOE - Warks & Glos, WHITFORD - Stanway, WINTLE - Forest of Dean, WYNNIATT - Stanway

Offline canadawolf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 October 12 21:28 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the info Victor...I'll try and connect them if I could only find James's parents which I think his fathers name was John Gill but no mother listed I found a baptism for him for 6 sept 1799.
Thanx again

Pam:)

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 17 October 12 21:50 BST (UK) »
Hi,

There's a John Gill listed in the Wimborne Minster Militia List 1796:

http://www.opcdorset.org/WimborneFiles/WimborneMilitiaLists.htm

Nanny Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 17 October 12 22:05 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Possible marriage for John Gill:

John Gill and Jane Cox, 24 January 1797, Wimborne Minster.

Nanny Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline canadawolf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 17 October 12 22:50 BST (UK) »
Thank you nanny Jan for the info:)

Offline Richard Knott

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 18 October 12 10:40 BST (UK) »
There are hundreds of Gills living in Wimborne Minster from at least the middle of the 17th century up to the 19th century. Many of them left wills - for instance, a James Gill, butcher in 1786; and a John Gill, wheelwright in 1762. The latter mentions his sons John, James, Thomas and William; and his grandsons James and Thomas. The two sons may be the John (wheelwright) and James (surgeon and apothecary) mentioned on an oath connected with John's wife's (Margaret) death. There are also four PCC wills (including a James, John and Betty who all died 1796-1800) which can be read online for a fee of £3.

There is a strong possibility that they will be connected, but I would caution against working down from these. As you say, there is a James Gill baptised in 1799, but his ony sibling mentioned in the registers is John baptised in 1803; there is no sign of a Charles or George.

Do you know the occupation of your James Gill? If he was a carpenter/wheelwright that would be good!

These are presumably connected to you:
http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/DORSET/2000-01/0948025973

http://boards.ancestry.co.uk/localities.northam.canada.newfoundland.notredamebay/505/mb.ashx

There is a tree on ancestry which suggests that James was born in 1799, but Charles in 1831, which seems a big gap. Do you have any more information on Charles and/or George?

Banns of marriage were called between a James Gill and Jane Cole in October 1820 in Wimborne, and then, in Jan 1821, James Gill is being sought in connection with the bastard child of Jane Cole. Jane died in 1833 aged 34, so was the same age as your James Gill. Perhaps he was running away from something! It might be worth asking the Dorset History Centre to look at the document (PE/WM/OV/10/5/33).

Richard
All the families I am researching are listed on the main page here:
www.64regencyancestors.com

Census: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline canadawolf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 25 October 12 02:51 BST (UK) »
Thanx for the info...As far as i know of him is that he was born about 1800 in Wimborne Dorset England,
He came to Exploits Newfoundland. Around 1830 he married Mary Beaton in Exploits. They had 8 children. I do know that he baptised three of his grandchildren.He was a Layman of the church of England in Newfoundland. I also think he was a fisherman in Newfoundland. What he did in Wimborne i don't know. I haven't been able to find anything on him in Wimborne. Thank you all again for your help

Pam:)

Offline micmak1

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 29 August 13 18:39 BST (UK) »
hi Pam! it is micmak1 here having just read Richards post....about James Gill possibly running away....did not find a death for Jane Cole nor any paperwork in the ancestry criminal section about him being chased for the child support. But....it is a great scenario and most likely true.

I did find the Church Banns for James Gill & Jane Cole - #175 that were posted 3 weeks from Oct 29 / Nov 5 / & Nov 12 assuming that the marriage would take place on Nov 17 1821...but did not.

I found the child for Jane Cole  #18 - Baptised Apr 18,1823 named William Young Cole - James Gills son?

Then I found more wedding Banns posted for Jane Cole & William Bashford for the 3 weeks of June 4- 11 -& 15th  & their marriage # 323 on June 26,1826 in the presence of George Collis & Jane Davis....the only one who could write was William Bashford ...Jane & the witness made their mark

It makes sense about James Gill because they (James &  Mary Beaton) are SO under the radar...even for their graves... Oddly my Alfred Beaton is buried in the GILL cemetery and yet where are James Gill & Mary Beaton?

No one at my heritage site knows where the Mary LENA Beaton came from and there are about 6/7 that are listing the same info.

Will keep digging and RICHARD where did you find the document about James Gill being sought after in 1821?  Slowly trickles of info are coming through!