Author Topic: Old shops in Nairn  (Read 6088 times)

Offline rosn123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Old shops in Nairn
« on: Saturday 24 May 08 12:06 BST (UK) »
Hi

Would anyone out there know how to find out about shops that would have been in Nairn between 1910 - 1930, or the history of buidings? My gt grandfather (George Cameron) supposedly had a shop around then. I've just found an address for him in 1924 of 45 King Street but don't know if this was the shop address.

I'd be grateful for any help.

Thanks

Offline IAA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Old shops in Nairn
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 May 08 16:02 BST (UK) »
Hi

Do you have any information on the type of shop George Cameron had?   King Street is on the edge of Fishertown and is now residential but there may have been shops in 1924.  I have checked the 1881 census there were no George Cameron in King Street at that time.  Have you found George in any of the census records do you have a date of birth for him?

Irene
MacKay (Harris, Western Isles), Royan, Dunbar, Kelly (mainly Morayshire)

Offline rosn123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 24 May 08 16:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Irene

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately I don't know what type of shop it was.

He was born around 1847 in Lochbroom and in the 1901 census the family were in Dingwall. He died in 1935 in Aberdeenshire and until now I didn't have any evidnce of him having been in Nairn. Also, his occupation on the various census and other records don't help much either as it is different each time - ploughman/forester/farm servant/scavenger and carter! I was also told he made chairs!

Ros

Offline VL Ford

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 24 June 08 07:20 BST (UK) »
[email]George Cameron would have been my Great Great Grandfather. My Grandfather, William Cameron, was the son of George's daughter Margaret. He was born at the Black Isle Poorhouse in 1913. No father was named of his Birth Certificate. Margaret married Donald Cameron around 1920 and by 1924 they had 2 children. I'm pretty sure these children's names were Donald George, and Eliza. My Grandpa was sent to Quarrier Homes Orphanage in 1924 and left from there in 1930 to go to Canada. He had no further contact with his family so any living relatives most likely wouldn't know he existed.
A month ago I found an old posting on another message board about this family and was able to contact a woman who was a descendant of George's daughter Ann. She had a little more information on George's family in Ullapool and sent me a photo of George and his wife Eliza McLennan. Do you have any more info on this family after 1924 ? I have a transcript of Margaret's Death certificate in 1970 and hope to learn more about the years between 1924 and 1970.
I have an on line Family Tree I'm working on and will send you a link to it if you like. I have scanned copies of the records from the Orphanage on the Family Tree site that explain a little more of why he was sent there.

Hope to hear from You
Vickie
(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php