Author Topic: starkey family, worcester  (Read 2941 times)

Offline epc

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
starkey family, worcester
« on: Wednesday 15 November 06 09:08 GMT (UK) »
My husbands great grandfather was a John Starkey, a shoe maker, born in Germany c. 1855.  He came to England as a child (to London we think) he settled in Worcester and married Sophia Brown in 1877.  On his marriage certificate his father was entered as John Starkey a shoe maker.  They had two children, Violetta and John on the 1881 census, and on the1901 census a further six, Henry, Sophia, William, Frederick, Alice and Frank.  We think that John changed his name to Starkey.  Is there any way that we can find his German surname and therefore trace family back further, or does anyone out there have information on this family?  Any advice would be gratefully received.  Thanks, epc

Offline ELLinSpain

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: starkey family, worcester
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 December 06 11:58 GMT (UK) »
Hello

Just a couple of observations:

in the 1891 census he states he was born Hannover, Germany + on the census he also states he is a British Subject

(1) You could put a message on the Hannover (Germany) board & see if anyone could look this up for you

(2) I have had a few like this & usually, it means that dad was English (prob in the Army/Navy) & that's why the son was born in Germany (especially Hannover) - alternatively, he would have had to apply for British Nationality so, there has to be a record (although, this is less likely)

(3) Maybe a red herring but, there was a passport application made:
John Starkey - passport No. 23594 - June 27th 1855 ? - might be worth further investigation

(4) There is also a record for:
John Starkey aged 28 (married)
Port of Departure: Bremen, Germany and Southampton, England on board "Neckar" - only men's names shown
25th May 1880 ??????? Dad???/

I cannot find him, as such, prior to the 1881 census however, in the 1871 census there are:
John Magdalinsky (but transcribed as Magdalisley)
age 47 Bootmaker born Germany
Friederike (wife) 54 born Germany
John 18 (but says Cabinet maker albeit this could apply to the next one down)  born germany
in 2 Gowers Road, Whitechapel
Interestingly, there is a chap next door named Sharkey (if he changed his name maybe this is where he got it from?) All total supposition on my part but?????

Sorry nothing more concrete

best of luck

Offline epc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 January 07 17:56 GMT (UK) »
Hello

Thank you so much for me your comments on 22nd December, and sorry that I have not replied until now. We have had a very hectic month.

My husband and I will have a good read into your comments, and come back to you.

Many thanks,  epc

Offline epc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 05 November 08 22:23 GMT (UK) »
Hello ELLinSpain

After nearly two years since you replied to me, I am now back to researching the Starkey family, and am taking your advice!  Better late than never.

1)  I have put a note on the Hannover, Germany board.

2)   Another member of the family has been to Kew and cannot find any trace of him applying for British Nationality.

3)  You mentioned Passport No. 23594 - June 27th 1855 for John Starkey.  Where would I search for any additional information.

4)  How and where did you find the record for John Starkey aged 28, married, travelling from Bremen, Germany to Southampton on board "Neckar".  The age is about right.  Presumably he must have travelled from England to Germany.  And I would have thought that he would have travelled to Germany again later in life, so I was wondering whether I might find some later travels for him going to Germany.

Your final paragraph is interesting also, but doesn't help a lot I'm afraid, but I do wonder if it might be our John.

Thank you so much for your interest and advice.  I will stick at it this time.  There are three of us trying to find out more about him now.

Offline Friar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 16 December 08 21:29 GMT (UK) »
I believe that John was my great grandfather. My father was George (Jim) Henry Starkey whose father was Henry who owned a shoeshop in Friar St. Worcester.

Offline poolekevin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 01 July 14 15:43 BST (UK) »
my name is Kevin Poole. I am looking up the birth date of John Starkey. born in Hannover Germany. l know on the census it said about 1854. But I like to know the date and month.
Doe's anyone know his parent name. And was he German on his dad or mother side. or Not.
 l one's saw it said it said British subject. l just wonder.
My great grand mother was violetta Poole (Starkey). who had two sons fred and frank. 
Thank you .