Author Topic: guest  (Read 8773 times)

Offline cathayb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: guest
« Reply #9 on: Friday 19 September 14 21:22 BST (UK) »
Harold Charles Bird b Bridgwater 1887  [son of Edward and Julia - moves to Cardiff and joins the Navy.
this is him.we always knew he was a bit of a rogue.the child born 1938 is alive and well known to us so wont mention any names.i found him in 1911 in the navy stationed in bridgwater.
doris comes into it as she married him after his first wife,his first wife was surname clist and he kept and used in his second marriage the name of clist.i am still at a loss to find doris audrey guests perants though i guess i now know her grandpersnts!!!!i looked on the free bmd as was suggested but cant find her or any record of her mum and dad.any suggestions most welcomed.trouble is with haqrold i also think i have him in wellington with his first wife.i wonder if she put him down even though he was away at bridgwater at the time???
birchs taylors penfold orchard hughes all romany gypsies in the west country

Offline cathayb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 19 September 14 21:28 BST (UK) »
what i cant understand is why one of the children had a middle name od sturt?if they were not his perants.we had heard in the fasmily that he was in the navy thoiugh so that adds up

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 19 September 14 21:54 BST (UK) »
but we have just recieved her sons birth certificate and her maiden name is down as guest.

On freebmd and also on the GRO index mmn is Cruest

What was the full name and occupation of Mr Clist on the 1938 birthcert. 

Does that birthcert show mother as Doris A(udrey) Clist nee Guest or just as Doris A Guest
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 19 September 14 22:07 BST (UK) »
But Harold Charles from Bridgwater, in the navy in 1911, is a different person from Charles married to Edith - they have separate entries and different details such as occupations (and he's not stationed in Bridgwater, that's just his place of birth).

To add to the confusion, Charles Harold from Bath was also a seaman!

Without some certificates (and it's not clear how much truth there will be ni them) it's probably going to be difficult to untangle this mess

Not sure why you are having difficulty with Doris' birth, see https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/2FNP-LMH 
Which of her grandparents' daughters is her mother will probably need the certificate to clarify

Offline cathayb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 20 September 14 14:43 BST (UK) »
definately doris audrey guest born in huntsworth north petherton somerset which is nr.taunton.
the son born in 1938 is down as clist mothers maiden name guest.i cant give his full name as he is still alive.
harold charles was definately a bird when born.his son told us their real name was bird but it had changed to clist which he said was his mothers maiden name which we now know was not true.she was definately a guest.the marriage to harold charles clist produced a son and a daughter but the marriage did not last long because of harolds terrible woma nizing and other bad behaviour.we are also told he was in the navy when young but in 1938 he was a head chef at north petherton

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 20 September 14 15:16 BST (UK) »
I've checked FreeBMD for Clist births, 1936-1944, and there are none with a mother's maiden name of Guest? ???

AHA!!

There is a birth with mmn of Cruest?!?! ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline cathayb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 20 September 14 16:07 BST (UK) »
right from what i work out alot of lies were told
i know without a doubt now that doris audrey clist/guest is the mother of the son born 1938 and a daughter a couple of years before hand.the full fathers name on the certificate is harold charles clist but we know he was a bird and took his second wifes name of clist for some unknown reason.he then married?doris audrey guest as a clist.whether he was still married to the first wife seems probable unless he was just having a affair producing two children in the 30s.doris was buried 2002 as doris audrey clist.we also know harold charles clist left doris shortly after his son was born.on the birth certificate he is occupation head chef at north petherton.there is only talk that he was a seaman before in his early years so cant be sure.he was born a bird so it seems likly to gain the name change he married edith clist and proceeded to use her name.he died as harold charles clist in 1975.if anyone could make more sense of this i would be greatful.as for doris to know her perantage i think we need to buy her birth certificate.

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 20 September 14 17:10 BST (UK) »
I don't think that Doris was ever married to the father of her child. At least, there is no sign of a likely marriage on the GRO index.
If Charles Bird/Clist is the father, and is also the man who married Edith Minnie Clist, he was not free to marry anybody until 1946, when Edith divorced him.

From The Somerset Herald 27 October 1945

Hemyock Wife Granted A Divorce

Mrs Edith Minnie Bird, of Fore-street, Hemyock, was granted a decree nisi by Mr Justice Wallington in the Divorce Court on Monday, on the ground of the misconduct of her husband, Mr Charles Bird. There was no defence.
The marriage of Mr and Mrs Bird took place in March 1910, and they afterwards lived at Hemyock. They have seven children. The petitioner's case was that her husband, who left her a number of years ago lived with a woman at Chiswick, London, in 1942 and 1943.

One of the Ancestry trees includes an image of the decree absolute, dated May 1946.
The 1942 marriage which some trees show was not to Doris. 

All trees which show this man seem to agree that he was born Charles Bird, but ended his days as Harold Charles Clist in 1975, even though some trees approach him via the Clist family, and some via the  family of his second marriage.  This tends to suggest that the Bird/Clist change is known through family information.

Some of the trees include a photo of Charles in a uniform of some kind, which to my inexpert eye doesn't look like a naval uniform.

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cathayb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 20 September 14 17:45 BST (UK) »
that seems the most reasonable conclusion.i wonder why he used his 1st wifes maiden name.he may have been with doris from about 1936 to 1942 as his two children were born to doris at that time.maybe he then went to london and married the 1942 woman as a bigamist.!!!i know he was in his childrens life only a very short time,
can anyone look at the trees on ancestry or do you need to be a member?