Author Topic: Scotland 1881 census: Birth place other as transcribed: RHUANAH IRELAND  (Read 4057 times)

Offline Sonas

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Scotland 1881 census: Birth place other as transcribed: RHUANAH IRELAND
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 08 October 14 22:12 BST (UK) »
There are really too many letters in the word for it to be Armagh. No idea what it is though, sorry.

Offline deebel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 08 October 14 22:35 BST (UK) »
There is a James Irvine born in Fermanagh Ireland aged 25 on the Merchant Seamans Register in 1856 with a note "First Voyage" (vessel seems to be the Niagara) (which was a Clydebuilt paddle steamer by Robert Steele and Co 1847 of the Cunard Fleet)

I do not know if he enumerated the census personally but if not he may have spoken in an Irish accent that the person completing the form found difficult to follow.... Maybe Fermanagh was misheard as Rhuanah.. Or is it actually F'managh
This post is a natural hand made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws. Unfortunately my preferred method of writing (Parker Quink on Basildon Bond) cannot be used.

Offline jenimac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 09 October 14 05:04 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone, and thanks for further input.

Thanks Deebel, I will look into that info as well.

I did decide to google the word as I read it which is 'Armanah' and to my surprise I have found quite a number of references to Armanah Ireland which I will be following up later today but a brief glimpse shows the word in Canada and I also see a post saying that someone's ancestor was born in Armanah, Ireland and she is asking whether this is Armagh.

Jenny

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 09 October 14 08:29 BST (UK) »
New topic on ARMAGH board-
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=701783.new#new

There are really too many letters in the word for it to be Armagh. No idea what it is though, sorry.
Not if you compare the capital A in Aberdeen with this word.

I do not know if he enumerated the census personally but if not he may have spoken in an Irish accent that the person completing the form found difficult to follow.... Maybe Fermanagh was misheard as Rhuanah.. Or is it actually F'managh
The enumerator would have taken down the details as he heard them but compare the A with the A in Aberdeen below.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline deebel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 09 October 14 21:46 BST (UK) »
On FS

Name:   John Irvine poss father?
Event Type:   Census
Event Date:   1821
Event Place:   Derryvullan, Fermanagh, Ireland
Townland:   Nockrow
County:   Fermanagh
Parish:   Derryvullan
Relationship to Head of Household:   Son
Birth Date:   1799
Piece/Folio:   191
Household   Role   Gender   Age   Birthplace
James Irvine      U   60   
Mary Irvine   Wife   U   54   
John Irvine   Son   U   22   
Bell Irvine   Daughter   U   18   
Wm Carter      U   15   
This post is a natural hand made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws. Unfortunately my preferred method of writing (Parker Quink on Basildon Bond) cannot be used.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 09 October 14 21:51 BST (UK) »
Irvine's a very common surname in Ulster so it's difficult to connect the 1821 record with John Irvine in Scotland without a lot more information.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline jenimac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 10 October 14 07:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks Deebel,
Jame Irvine(Irvin) died in Aberdeen in 1900  I can pretty much trace him to living there since he married Janet Ross at Kincardine Devenick and then they moved to St Nicholas Aberdeen where both died.  He was always a Stoker/fireman. 
On his death notice his parents were recorded as Robert irvin (famer) and Elizabeth Hunter.  The informant was their eldest son James (my line) and he was a shipwright in Aberdeen and I know both men could write as I have James,the stoker, signed a son's death notice and James, the shipwright, sighed both parents' death notices.
Yesterday I wrote to Roots Ireland and they agree with everyone that it is most likely the place is Fermanagh or Armagh because they were probably spelling it phonetically.
Just one more piece of info, I found an 1861 record for a James Ervin, married, 31, Fireman, Fermanagh, Ireland on a ship called the "Prince Consort" which was in port at Lerwick, Shetland, at the time and Janet was the head of her family in Aberdeen with 'Seaman's wife' alongside her name.  This is the only record in 1861 with the name Irvine that I have found so far that could match my James.
Just a thought but based on the word being taken down phonetically, wouldn't Armanah be more likely to be Fermanagh than Armagh?  I have seen Fermanagh spelt Farmanagh at times.
Anyway if anyone can suggest where I try find the parents I would be forever grateful.
Thanks
Jenny

Offline deebel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 10 October 14 20:07 BST (UK) »
https://archive.org/details/irvinestheirkinh00boyd

There is an online book The Irvines and their Kin  here.....