Author Topic: Old Wooden Chest - RIC / IRA??  (Read 13469 times)

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Old Wooden Chest - RIC / IRA??
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 05 November 14 16:16 GMT (UK) »
Just having a look at my Grand father's application.
It doesn't look for anything before 1916.
If he wasn't 'officially' active after that time it's likely he won't feature unless someone says he was trained by him before that date, but as they don't ask for anything that early it doesn't look good.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 05 November 14 16:20 GMT (UK) »
I wonder should we be looking at the IRB.
Irish Republican Brotherhood

Offline Bellevue

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 05 November 14 16:22 GMT (UK) »
Just having a look at my Grand father's application.
It doesn't look for anything before 1916.
If he wasn't 'officially' active after that time it's likely he won't feature unless someone says he was trained by him before that date, but as they don't ask for anything that early it doesn't look good.

Are these 'applications' online. I have no trouble trawling through all/any Clonmel area applicants.

"Irish Republican Brotherhood "

I don't know. Is there a big difference? Where would I be looking for records for IRB membership or involvement?
Cleary - Clonmel / Ardgeeha / Chancellorstown / Garryntemple---------------O' Donnell - Clerihan------------McGrath - Powerstown---------------Cullinan - Scrothea, Clonmel----------------Flemming - Clerihan----------------Brien - Monkstown----------------Dunne - Poulnagunoge  / Gladstone St, Clonmel-------------Dunn - New York------------O' Neill - Kilsheelan

Offline Bellevue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 05 November 14 16:27 GMT (UK) »
What year did he die BTW ?

Tara

1974. he was an impressive 94.
Cleary - Clonmel / Ardgeeha / Chancellorstown / Garryntemple---------------O' Donnell - Clerihan------------McGrath - Powerstown---------------Cullinan - Scrothea, Clonmel----------------Flemming - Clerihan----------------Brien - Monkstown----------------Dunne - Poulnagunoge  / Gladstone St, Clonmel-------------Dunn - New York------------O' Neill - Kilsheelan

Offline Bellevue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 05 November 14 16:33 GMT (UK) »
What a great man !

Sorry, just to ask again, do you know who wrote the obit ?

Tara

No, but I plan to ask his daughter who is 91. But I'd say its unlikely she knows.

Correction he was aged 94.

Offline Bellevue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 05 November 14 16:40 GMT (UK) »
I think the problem that you are coming up against is that the vast majority of what you are going on is family stories ~ while they are lovely to have, we can't take them as gospel.

So, I'm trying put a timeline to him.

1901 sees him on the family farm and single.

1911 sees him on his uncles farm and single.

Is that right so far ?

Tara

Yes.

He married in 1919 (I think) and first child in 1920

Offline Bellevue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 05 November 14 16:51 GMT (UK) »
His obit then says that by 1912 / 1913 he was back on the land ?

Was that back on the family farm ?

Yes on the family farm. Through marriage and farm income, money did not seam to have been a problem for the family back then.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 05 November 14 17:00 GMT (UK) »
A Rody Cleary was a 'judge' in one of the courts his home was later raided by the Black and Tans.
Page 15
http://www.bureauofmilitaryhistory.ie/reels/bmh/BMH.WS1553.pdf#page=15

I wonder could a relatives story have got mixed in.
As Tara said do you know who wrote the obit.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 05 November 14 17:56 GMT (UK) »
I can't agree, if he did the things the obit claims someone will have named him at some point. May not be online yet.
These, while illegal, were all military organisations, run along the conventional rules of the time. If he was training men he had a rank, if courts were held in him home he was well know in the area and respected, that can't have gone unremarked. Raided by the Tans, there had to be a reason.

His wife turned the arms away, why? It doesn't say, perhaps she knew a raid would happen, but he was trused by the men who called with the arms, why?