Author Topic: Prosser-breconshire  (Read 13523 times)

Offline s.k.

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Prosser-breconshire
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 09 May 07 00:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Les de B

Sorry I don't think I can Help. I have been checking through my files but our Prossers seem to be completely unrelated. You could perhaps try the family search website.
Good Luck with your search (It becomes addictive)

regards
S.k.
cavenagh-mainwaring, Briggs, Pulford, Launders, Nash

census information is crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 09 May 07 01:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Les,
have you posted a query on the London board? I doubt you'd get much local expertise on the Breconshire board!
 ;)

No, haven't posted it yet. It was just that I was reading the Daily Posts, and saw the surname PROSSER. I thought I would give it a go just in case it was related. One never knows, you can "never leave a stone unturned" with family researching!

Les
de Belin, Swindail, Willcock, Williams, Moore, Watts, Searjeant, Watson, McCready, Reid, Spink, de Lancey, Van Cortland, and of course, Smith!

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 09 May 07 01:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Les de B

Sorry I don't think I can Help. I have been checking through my files but our Prossers seem to be completely unrelated. You could perhaps try the family search website.
Good Luck with your search (It becomes addictive)

regards
S.k.

S.K.

Not a problem. I wasn't very confident, however, I couldn't let the possibility pass by. "Searching becomes addictive"? - so that's what has happened to the last 10 years of my life!

Regards

Les
de Belin, Swindail, Willcock, Williams, Moore, Watts, Searjeant, Watson, McCready, Reid, Spink, de Lancey, Van Cortland, and of course, Smith!

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 09 May 07 03:43 BST (UK) »

...  Jeffrey Jeffrey died age 53 in 1884 at Melbourne hospital Victoria  ...

If Jeffrey JEFFREYS died at the age of 53 in 1884, that would make his date of birth approximately 1831.  But you asked RootsChatters to search for a Jeffrey JEFFREYS born in 1820  ???

However, from information on another thread about these same people at:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,228816
it seems that Jeffrey JEFFREYS married in 1846 which throws the death age into doubt.

As osprey has recommended several times, purchase of the marriage certificate of Jeffrey JEFFREYS and Ann PROSSER should assist you.

Re purchasing a marriage certificate - it is certainly possible to apply for a GRO certificate by post and without using a credit card.

If you go to the GRO site at:
http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/
you will find information about applying for a certificate by post and methods of payment.

Another - and perhaps easier - method would be to use the certificate ordering service offered by the Genealogical Society of Victoria (payment to them can be in Australian currency and it is not necessary to be a member).  See:
http://www.gsv.org.au/Bookshop/services.htm
The GSV is situated at Level B1 257 Collins Street, Melbourne (between Swanston and Elizabeth streets).

JAP

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 09 May 07 19:22 BST (UK) »
Hi s.k.,
I can understand not wanting to buy unnecessary certificates, especially if you're used to the Australian system where some of the info appears to be available in the index, but there are times when you can't get any further without a certificate or two. This is one of those times.
Your couple left the UK before the 1851 census which is the first one to give places of birth and relationships within the household. They also married between the 1841 and 1851, so your only way of confirming their fathers is to buy the marriage cert. It would also give a (vague) address for each of them and Jeffrey's occupation. If you don't get the cert, you could end up following the wrong family line and waste time and effort.
Another good thing about the marriage cert is that the couple themselves gave the info. Anne died young, so the info on Jeffrey's death cert was probably provided by one of their children and could be inaccurate. The age is very unlikely to be correct because, as JAP pointed out above, that would have meant him marrying at 15 and emigrating before he was 20. The father's name might also be wrong. The couple's children might never have known their grandparents. Also, there is no Jeffrey Jeffrey of that age on the 1841 census of Wales. There are at least 3 who are a few years older, but 2 of them are not living with family. It was quite common for children of 10 or so to be working as ag labs or farm servants away from home at that period.
So without more concrete info from a cert, you've hit a brick wall.
 :-\
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline s.k.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 10 May 07 00:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Jap and Osprey

Thanks for the great information, and your help. Thanks jap for the information 
about the Genealogical Society. I had no idea you could apply for the Uk.  certificates through them.

regards
s.k.

Offline Jim Murray

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 23 July 07 05:50 BST (UK) »
Dear S.K.

I notice that you have Mainwaring in your family too.     Were they from Breconshire?    I ask because I have a Samuel Mainwaring, poor law union governor of Crickhowell in my tree.

Diana

Offline s.k.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 23 July 07 07:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Diana

Ann Prosser did possibly come from Breconshire, She was most defiantly christened on 5 june 1828 at St Marys tabernacle-welsh Wesleyan, in Brecon. she died 1867. her father was Thomas Prosser and her mother was Jane Williams. Unfortunately this Is pretty well all the Info I have. Except for what has already been displayed on rootschat.

Good Luck.

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 23 July 07 09:35 BST (UK) »
'defiantly christened'? Were there people trying to stop it happening then?  Love the typo!

:D    ;D
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb