Author Topic: John MacKay Chapel St, Kildare Griffiths Valuation how locate year of entry pls?  (Read 6936 times)

Offline iforani

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
 :) Hi
I've posted before on our mysterious John McKay who originated we believe from Kildare as this has been given as place of birth on various certificates. We believe that John McKay was born circa 1825-1826. He emigrated some time after this to NSW, at least this is where he married & settled down & became a gold prospector (Kings Plains).

In our search, we came across an entry in the Griffiths Valuation (posted below) of a John Mackay at Chapel St Kildare. Any help with this would be appreciated, like finding the year of this entry. Our John spelt his name in different ways so we are not ruling out the possibility that his name may have been spelt with Mackay. Another variant was McKey.
Thanks guys.
McKay (Kildare, Ireland), Aldred (Manchester), Smith, Cooper (Kent), Howlett, Bodill, Atkins (Northamptonshire), Smart (UK, Africa), Brown, Bryant, Dixon, Walton

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John MacKay Chapel St, Kildare Griffiths Valuation how locate year of entry pls?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 September 13 09:47 BST (UK) »
You'll find the publication date on this site (along with maps)- 1853:
http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml?action=nameSearch
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline iforani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: John MacKay Chapel St, Kildare Griffiths Valuation how locate year of entry pls?
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 26 September 13 10:39 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much Aghadowey. This link has so much information. This is great. Hopefully now we can look at emigration after this date of 1853 which may link our John to this John from Kildare. This is much appreciated as we'd had a brick wall with him and this man may just be our man!!!
 :D
McKay (Kildare, Ireland), Aldred (Manchester), Smith, Cooper (Kent), Howlett, Bodill, Atkins (Northamptonshire), Smart (UK, Africa), Brown, Bryant, Dixon, Walton

Offline iforani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 26 September 13 10:41 BST (UK) »
My next question....where could we go from here to discover any possible family of John Mackay who may have lived here or any other information about him in Naas records?

Offline chrisscales

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 24 January 14 14:20 GMT (UK) »
There are some baptisms for a John MacKey on Roots Ireland 1825, 1835, 1837: http://kildare.rootsireland.ie/

If one of those gives you his parents you can probably search for siblings in the same parish, though the search is a bit fiddly especially with varied surname spellings. Alternatively you can get in touch with the Kildare Genealogy Centre (through the same site).

Offline chrisscales

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 24 January 14 14:25 GMT (UK) »
Also somebody here seems to be researching Keys in Kildare - possible connection?: http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=653470.0

Offline iforani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 26 January 14 02:00 GMT (UK) »
 :) Thanks Chrisscales. This is useful information. No I doubt that there is a Keys connection. It is definitely McKay or McKey though I can see how mistakes were made back then. One entry for a McKay was made in the K section of the ship's manifest with the Mc on a different line. I paid for some credits with the Roots Ireland site but these were quickly eaten up with different searches that yielded information about John McKays who went to the US etc, so have to be careful with what you pay for. I did locate however the John MacKey born 1825 so this was a very good lead, thank you. I am quite sure that my McKays were protestants though as all marriages and baptisms were done in a protestant church in Australia and this J MacKey was a Roman Catholic.
I haven't ruled him out though.
Will keep looking, thank you. Deb

Offline chrisscales

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 26 January 14 02:08 GMT (UK) »
Sorry I should have said be careful not to overspend on that site! Glad you found it useful anyway, I don't think many non-RC parish records survive from this period so if he was COI could be tricky. On the other hand maybe his  Australian wife was Protestant and he converted? Happy hunting

Offline annclare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 26 January 14 11:48 GMT (UK) »
You can see on roots ireland the parish records they have for Kildare. Just go to online sources and search by county. They have quite a few Cof I records but there are gaps.
See link

http://www.rootsireland.ie/ifhf/generic.php?filename=sources.tpl&selectedMenu=sources
annclare
Kerrisk, Healy, McGuire, Duggan - Kerry and US
Tuohy/Toohey,Gorman, Purcell, Fanning- Holycross Tipperary