Author Topic: Llewellyn-Brecon  (Read 3541 times)

Offline mickmack1942

• RootsChat Veteran
  • A bit of old Blarney castle
    • View Profile
Llewellyn-Brecon
« on: Sunday 20 October 13 19:06 BST (UK) »

Help please, I have one of mine giving Brecon as place of birth, as a rough guide at death
 working back he was born abt 1790 .. going by the name William Llewellyn, I found a poss
 candidate in a village called Llywel near Brecon in Familysearch with a bp date 19 Oct 1790, but
 no other info with it, parents etc, I do not know if he is mine but trying to get to see how many
 Llewellyn's there are in the Brecon District to narrow it down, I expect there are a few seeing
  as a good welsh name like Llewellyn is involved.
  regards...mick
Pringle..N-yorks.  Swann..Nthamptonshire. Newman..Wilts.  Whites...Surrey/london.  Filce..London/surrey.  McCarthy...Co Cork Eire.
Atkinson...N-Yorks.    Irvine... Sothern England
Cook...glouc/shire.    Alderton... Thingoe/Suffolk

Offline xs

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Llewellyn-Brecon
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 October 13 19:25 BST (UK) »
Yes there are a lot of them!  Any idea who he married, children etc?

Offline xs

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 20 October 13 19:28 BST (UK) »
William Lewellen
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1791
Where born: Breconshire, Wales

Civil Parish: South Llandefalley
Hundred: Talgarth
County/Island: Breconshire

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 20 October 13 21:03 BST (UK) »
Llywel, and the village of Trecastle are about 12 miles from Brecon.  However, they were actually counted as part of Brecon for many hundreds of years and so it is not unlikely that someone born in Trecastle or Llywel might have been shown as being born in Brecon.  Whilst Trecastle is the centre of population in that area the local church is about a mile away at Llywel.  Llywel has only a few cottages there now and the two are separated by Y Gors, which is now a marshy area but was previously (I am told) a lake.  The vicarage of Llywel is in Trecastle and local history says that the vicar and his family used to be rowed across the lake to take services at Llywel each Sunday. Not sure if this is true, but it's a nice story.
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mickmack1942

• RootsChat Veteran
  • A bit of old Blarney castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 21 October 13 07:18 BST (UK) »

Thanks xs, alas he did not marry a local girl she was from Chatham Kent, and that's where they
 married, poss he was in the army/navy, looks like this has gone as far as it can what with handles
 he had, never mind I've got plenty to get on with, thanks again xs.

Hi greensleeves, thanks for the story, were people thought they came from and the actual can be
  polls apart, as I said to xs poss have to put this line to bed for now, thanks again...
   regards..mick
Pringle..N-yorks.  Swann..Nthamptonshire. Newman..Wilts.  Whites...Surrey/london.  Filce..London/surrey.  McCarthy...Co Cork Eire.
Atkinson...N-Yorks.    Irvine... Sothern England
Cook...glouc/shire.    Alderton... Thingoe/Suffolk