Author Topic: French Ancestor?  (Read 3885 times)

Offline troymantis

• RootsChat Extra
  • http://www.praying-mantis.com/mantis
    • View Profile
Re: French Ancestor?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 01 July 09 01:49 BST (UK) »
Hello Justin,

Here is the information that you requested.  Joseph's father is called Joseph, and he is a Farmer.  Mary's father is called John and he is a Shipwright.  Bride and Groom are "Full Age."

No, I am not SM but I am in email contact with him.  The 'fact' that Joseph came from Malta, has been handed down the generations as oral history.  SM and another email contact, both tell me that older members of their families have told them this, but that they don't have any hard facts to back this up.

I found a website which allowed me to search for a name in the database.  I thought that I had found the name Lezart, but to make sure, I emailed a man from the website.  When he replied, he told me that the name does not appear, but that some variations like Lezard do.  He informed me that Familysearch.org has a high volume of the name Lezart, which appears in Canada only.  He also said that Ancestry.com has a few Lezarts, again in Canada.

He wrote that, "It is likely that the name Lezart is a variation of some longer name." ???

troymantis :)
Potts, Tipping, Lezart, Mounsey, Hunter, Quinn, Marshall, Longcake, Cape

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 01 July 09 07:43 BST (UK) »
You've not got it easy.

The LDS site (familysearch.org) does not really have a high volume; a few in early 17th century northern France and 19 Germans (!!) Methodists in Ontario.

In German a final 't' and final 'd' sound identicial, so you probably should expand the search to include Lezard.

Justin

Offline troymantis

• RootsChat Extra
  • http://www.praying-mantis.com/mantis
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 01 July 09 11:21 BST (UK) »
JustinL,

Thank you :-*

troymantis
Potts, Tipping, Lezart, Mounsey, Hunter, Quinn, Marshall, Longcake, Cape

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk