Author Topic: John Moss born 1837  (Read 2207 times)

Offline christmassy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Moss born 1837
« on: Friday 14 November 14 19:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Could anyone please look up the following for me?
I have been told about a John Moss, born Leicester 1837, died 1917. Have seen a pic and he looks like a railway worker to me.
Anyway, point is that having finally cancelled my Ancestry sub I now find this chap and would like to know if he should fit into my tree.
Any info would be most gratefully received.
My key Leicester ancestor is Joseph Moss (b1800) who came to Leicester with brother James (b1794) and there may be more them (Isaac? John?) They came up from Greenhithe in Kent and their father was James Moss (b abt 1850?, died 1801). They are in Leicester from 1841 census. Now I want to know if this new John (1837-1917) is one of mine.
Thanks everyone

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: John Moss born 1837
« Reply #1 on: Friday 14 November 14 20:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Where did that John Moss die?

Did you check freebmd as there is no death in Leicester in 1917  www.freebmd.org.uk

Have you looked on the 1871/1881or 1911 census for him?

The 1871 and 1881 are free here

https://familysearch.org/search/collection/1538354
https://familysearch.org/search/collection/1321821

1911 lookups are not allowed due to copyright restrictions but if you use the free index here there is no John Moss b 1837 Leics

http://www.1911census.co.uk/search/tnaform.aspx
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 14 November 14 20:27 GMT (UK) »
I cannot see any John Moss in the censuses that fits your description - where did the information come from?

Thank-you

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 15 November 14 09:52 GMT (UK) »
I've looked at the baptism CD which covers the churches within the town up to 1837 and there's no John Moss. Of course this only means he wasn't baptised in one of those churches prior to 1837, not that he didn't exist!

I can't see any John Moss b 1832-1842 in Leicester in any of the censuses. I can see a Joseph Moss from Kent in the 1851, living in Eldon St, Leic, with his family - is this one yours? There's no John with them. There is a daughter aged 14, Susannah, and her baptism (actually 1836) is on the CD. I can't immediately see the family on the 1841.

How reliable do you feel your source is?
Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 15 November 14 12:22 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if whoever showed you the photograph and gave you p.o.b. had Lancs mixed up with Leics???

|There is a tree on A******y which has photographs of John Moss b 1837 died 1917
One photograph (head and shoulders) looks like John is in some kind of uniform (wears a small cap) which could be likened to a Railway uniform- but John Moss was a canal boatman- but lived in a cottage with his wife and family - and I have seen pictures of boatmen wearing similar headgear to John.
This John Moss was b 23 July 1837 Lancs -and I think his death is registered in 1917 Chorley
He married Rachel Bolton

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England

Offline christmassy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 15 November 14 14:23 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to everyone for your help.

Yes Joseph Moss, daughter Susannah is definitely mine. He was born in 1800 and died in 1883. Eldon Street is stil there but not the house(s) the family lived in.
isi son Joseph b 1838 married twice. The same year his wife died he married a woman 34 years his junior and had eight further years before he died in 1915.

The info re John Moss came from a new contact who said he got the info from an Ancestry tree and the photo was attached. Sadly, he doesn't have any extra info. Ancestry trees can be unreliable so I suspect this may be a dead end. Re the uniform, it is a cap so maybe boatman is right and it is the Lancashire family.

The John I am pretty confident about was born abt 1785 and married Lydia Hyde from Towcester  in 1815 in Gt Linford, Bucks. They had a son John James, birth date unknown, who married Sarah Foster in Leicester.

Isaac was born  in 1834 in Towcester. Parents Thomas Moss and Hannah Bishop. He died in 1916.

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 15 November 14 16:32 GMT (UK) »

The info re John Moss came from a new contact who said he got the info from an Ancestry tree and the photo was attached. Sadly, he doesn't have any extra info. Ancestry trees can be unreliable so I suspect this may be a dead end. Re the uniform, it is a cap so maybe boatman is right and it is the Lancashire family.

The John I am pretty confident about was born abt 1785 and married Lydia Hyde from Towcester  in 1815 in Gt Linford, Bucks. They had a son John James, birth date unknown, who married Sarah Foster in Leicester.

Isaac was born  in 1834 in Towcester. Parents Thomas Moss and Hannah Bishop. He died in 1916.

It looks like the person who gave you the information has definately got Lancs & Leics muddled . The only tree to be found on A******y with John Moss b 1837 died 1917 with photos attached is the Lancashire family.

When did John James Moss marry Sarah Foster??

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England

Offline willsy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 26 November 14 20:57 GMT (UK) »
Suz, here's the details of the marriage

Entry No.446,  MAY 26, 1844, after Banns
JOHN JAMES MOSS, full age, bach. WAREHOUSEMAN, of BEDFORD St, s. of JOHN MOSS, SERVANT
SARAH FOSTER, full age, sp. of WELLINGTON St, d. of JAMES FOSTER, LABOURER
Wits: THOMAS MOSS, SARAH COCKRAM
Willsy

Ward, Newark (Nottingham), Leicester, Scarborough
Warren, Northampton, Leicester
Moore, Leicestershire
Hunt, Leicestershire
Kirkman, Leicestershire
Hurst, Leicester, Stowmarket
Kendrick, Leicestershire
Eld, Leicestershire
Essex Edey/Eady Elsden/Elsdon