Author Topic: Elizabeth Pitchfork born approximately 1790.  (Read 5128 times)

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Pitchfork born approximately 1790.
« Reply #9 on: Friday 28 November 14 22:59 GMT (UK) »
I think it would depend where that was; you wouldn't move a body more than a day's distance in those days (I think).

I don't have the most up to date set of discs so maybe someone will be able to check on the most recent edition for any burials.

1788 01 06      Mary   Thomas   PITCHFORK   Mary         
1790 02 07      Elizabeth   Thomas   PITCHFORK   Anne         

So there would have been time for Mary to die, Thomas to remarry Anne then for Anne to die before Thomas married Mary Chantry. But to offset that, there's no death for Mary or 2nd marriage on the discs.
Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)

Offline Tim Brayshaw

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 28 November 14 23:03 GMT (UK) »
Yeah, it is a difficult one as it stands. Also I have just spotted this record...where does this gentleman fit in?

Name:   Thomas Pitchfork
Christening Date:   15 May 1756
Christening Place:   Warsop, Nottinghamshire, England
Father's Name:   William Pitchfork
Mother's name:   Mary
Sheffield/Yeadon/Guiseley - Brayshaw
Baslow - Wild(e)
London - Overall
Folkestone - Butcher
Little Steeping / Willoughby - Briggs and Ancient
Candlesby - Hewison and Rutter
Badsworth/Upton/South Kirkby - Thorp(e)
East Markham - Wilmot(t)
Middleton Tyas/South Cowton - Martin
Newton Upon Ouse - Goodbarn
Darley Dale - Hatfield
Wentworth/Tankersley - Allott and Trippett
Chedworth - Wilson and Tuffley

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 28 November 14 23:25 GMT (UK) »
I know someone who has done a lot of research into this Pitchfork family and may be able to help, I'll send her an email to let her know about this thread.

Alexander

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 28 November 14 23:32 GMT (UK) »
Residence for William and Mary was Soulkholme (which I think is part of Warsop now).

Since there is a baptism for Thomas (s/o Peter and Mary, as above) which is so close in year to his given age at burial, I'd be inclined to veer towards that one.
Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)

Offline Dizzifish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 29 November 14 10:41 GMT (UK) »
There is a gap in the Warsop parish burials transcribed by the Nottinghamshire FHS

13 Aug 1737 to 21 Feb 1766
8 April1827 to 28 Dec 1900

There are 15 burials for Warsop on Freereg which you might find useful, but will probably give you more of a puzzle - http://www.freereg.org.uk/cgi/Search.pl

Burial - Warsop - Church St Peter & St Paul
25 Nov 1792
PITCHFORK Mary , widow of Thomas
Abode Market Warsop

I would have hoped it said "wife of Thomas".......

Offline Tim Brayshaw

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 29 November 14 10:57 GMT (UK) »
Well thankyou for that one. That means we have two fathers called Thomas who are different people, and two mothers called Mary who are different.

This must be where the other Thomas Pitchfork baptism comes in that I found last night. Is ther another burial record for a Thomas between 1789 (to give him time to father Elizabeth in 1790) and 1792?
Sheffield/Yeadon/Guiseley - Brayshaw
Baslow - Wild(e)
London - Overall
Folkestone - Butcher
Little Steeping / Willoughby - Briggs and Ancient
Candlesby - Hewison and Rutter
Badsworth/Upton/South Kirkby - Thorp(e)
East Markham - Wilmot(t)
Middleton Tyas/South Cowton - Martin
Newton Upon Ouse - Goodbarn
Darley Dale - Hatfield
Wentworth/Tankersley - Allott and Trippett
Chedworth - Wilson and Tuffley

Offline Janeada

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 30 November 14 15:16 GMT (UK) »
Hello Tim,

Alexander emailed me to say you have this thread on Rootschat.  Thomas Pitchfork and Mary Chauntry are my 4x gt. grandparents. I have been researching the Pitchfork family on and off since 1988. Whilst I can't hold out much information about Elizabeth baptised 1793 and her parentage I can tell you about the family in general.

Thomas Pitchfork was, I believe, the son of Peter Pitchfork and his wife Mary Hees who married at Warsop in 1756 but as you have noted there is another family from Soulkholm with a son named Thomas.  William and Mary Pitchfork (I don't have a marriage for them); their descendants go into the area around Grindley-on-the-Hill, Nottinghamshire and into Lincolnshire near Gainsborough. Each family also have a daughter named Ann but that is a complication we don't have to consider right now.

I will send you family group sheets for Thomas and his two wives Mary Parsons and Mary Chauntry via the PM link when I can work out how to use it - haven't been on this site for a long while. As soon as I can I will have another look at the parish registers relevant to the family to see if I can find anything further.

Best wishes,

Janeada
Counties/Names: Wigtownshire, SCT./HANNAH Cumberland/CLARKE, Westmorland/FISHER, North Lancashire/CLARKE & CHARNOCK Lincolnshire/ STORER, DICKINSON, EDLIN, FAIRCHILD & GREEN, Nottinghamshire/ COOK, COLLINGWORTH,  Gloucestershire/DOWSWELL, Isle of Man/CLARKE

Offline Janeada

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 01 December 14 09:06 GMT (UK) »
Hello again,

Something I forgot in my pm yesterday.  I have a photocopy of the marriage bond which states that Thomas Pitchfork was a widower upwards of 21 years and gives Mary Chauntry's age as upwards of 17 years.  Elsewhere it states that Thomas was a blacksmith; his bondsman was Richard Chauntry of Halam, farmer; (his father-in-law to-be). So I think that the Thomas born to Peter & Mary Pitchfork (bap.1763) is the most likely man to be young Mary's bridegroom.  The age gap is quite large but would be even more, around 20 years, if it were Thomas son of William & Mary (bap.1756). Whoever he was Thomas had definitely been married before so it looks like the marriage to Mary Parsons would be his first marriage. Someone named Samuel Pitchfork was one of the witnesses to that marriage probably Thomas' brother.

As you say to be as near absolutely sure as possible it would be necessary to trace the life events of Thomas (1756) but so far I have failed in that regard and not without the want of trying.

The burial at Warsop of Mary Pitchfork in 1792 I will recheck as my notes have her as the "wife of Thomas Pitchfork" and I want to be sure whether I am mistaken or if the on-line version is a mis-transcription.

Janeada
Counties/Names: Wigtownshire, SCT./HANNAH Cumberland/CLARKE, Westmorland/FISHER, North Lancashire/CLARKE & CHARNOCK Lincolnshire/ STORER, DICKINSON, EDLIN, FAIRCHILD & GREEN, Nottinghamshire/ COOK, COLLINGWORTH,  Gloucestershire/DOWSWELL, Isle of Man/CLARKE

Offline Janeada

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 05 January 15 11:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tim,

Hope you had a good Christmas.  I am sorry to have kept you waiting so long but the holidays rather got in the way.  However I can tell you that the Warsop register entry 25 Nov 1792 is for Mary wife of Thomas Pitchfork of Market Warsop.  This makes it probable that she was Thomas’ first wife Mary Parsons.  As such she could have been the mother of Elizabeth christened 7 Feb 1790 assuming that the incumbent made a mistake and wrote “Anne” instead of “Mary” for the mother’s name which I am rapidly coming to the conclusion is the most likely scenario.  I am as certain as I can be that there was no other marriage between a Thomas Pitchfork and Anne at that time in Nottinghamshire. Certainly the Thomas who later married Mary Chauntry couldn’t have remarried before Elizabeth was born if he was still married to Mary Parsons. . 

Whilst I was at the library I had a look at the register entry for the marriage of John Hatfield and Elizabeth Pitchfork at Mansfield, 1 Jan 1811.  Did you know that one of the witnesses was Mary Pitchfork?  I presume she would have been a relative of Elizabeth’s.  There are only four ladies named Mary Pitchfork that I know of.  The first two we can dismiss; Mary wife of William Pitchfork and Mary the wife of Peter Pitchfork both of whom had died before 1811. The third was Mary daughter of Thomas & Mary Pitchfork nee Parsons. IF Mary and Elizabeth were sisters it would be quite likely that the one would stand witness at the other’s wedding.  The fourth is  Mary Chauntry the second wife of Thomas Pitchfork. If Thomas was Elizabeth’s father then as his wife Mary would have acted as mother to Elizabeth and if they got on well together they could have been very close to one another.

As I think I told you the Archive at Nottingham is currently closed for refurbishments but when it opens I will have a look at the BTs for Warsop to see if there are any differences between those entries and the ones in the parish register. 

Regards,

Janeada