Author Topic: Headstone Photo Request - Delves of Sussex  (Read 19356 times)

Offline Deb D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm not over 40 ... I'm 39.95 plus tax!
    • View Profile
Re: Headstone Photo Request - Delves of Sussex
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 16 July 11 05:21 BST (UK) »
Hi HL,
Many thanks for that - I have a pic, already (thanks to another RC-er) of the stone over Rev. William Delves' grave, inside the church at Catsfield ... but wasn't aware that there were other burials there.

I've been trying to figure out whether he was married twice ... there are some records indicating his first wife was Elizabeth, but I have yet to find out where they married, and when she died.  William married again 16/5/1820 to Mary Susan Bedingfield, and they had a daughter, Mary, in 1822 ... but then William died on the 4/5/1823.  It looks like those names might include William's siblings &/or parents, which is great, because I don't have them as yet ...

I do, however, have a John Delves, b. 1819 and baptised in Wartling, son of John Delves Sr and his wife Mary/May Thorpe, ... I'd love to find the connection between John and Rev. William - apart from the coincidence that Rev. William married the parents of the girls who would become John's future two wives!
I live in Sydney, Australia, and I'm researching: Powell, Tatham, Dunbar, Dixon, Mackwood, Kinnear, Mitchell, Morgan, Delves, & Anderson

Offline Hampshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 16 July 11 15:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Deb,

I will go to Catsfield and see if there are any graves for the other Delves I mentioned.
However, our weather is very wet, grey and windy, so I'll leave it till things improve.   :)
I'll get back to you with any pictures later.

Meanwhile I have some more records which you may not have found (or which may not be relevant)

Catsfield baptisms:-
Frederick Delves, 29.1.1817.  son of Rev.William and Elizabeth Delves.
Elizabeth Delves, 23.7.1818. daughter of Rev.William and Elizabeth Delves.

Crowhurst baptisms:-
William Delves,20.6.1815. son of William(Clergyman) and Elizabeth Delves.

Then there are some which may be for William Snr and his siblings - also at Crowhurst.
William Delves, born 25.4.1788, baptised 3.6.1788. son of Rev William and Ann Delves.
John Delves, 27.9.1789, twin son of Rev William and Ann Delves.
James Delves,27.9.1789, twin son of Rev William and Ann Delves.
Ann Delves, born27.3.1791,baptised 28.4.1791.daughter of Rev William and Ann Delves.

This couple married at Sedlescombe on 15.8.1786. The record says, William Delves, of Crowhurst and Ann Bishop, married by licence.

I can find no definite record of William's first marriage to Elizabeth, or her death, but he does seem to have been married twice - Elizabeth and Mary Susan Bedingfield.
There is a vague possibilty, as I found reference to a marriage licence dated 7.8.1813 between William Delves and Elizabeth Smith.
I don't know where this marriage was though (other than England!!)  at least Crowhurst, Catsfield and Sedlescombe are all close to each other.
Perhaps if you find this marriage record you would be interested in sending for a copy of the licence, which may help you.

Best wishes HL

Best wishes HL

Census information is crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Hampshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 16 July 11 15:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Deb,

I know this is supposed to be a photo request question (!) and of course I will take picture at Catsfield when I can get there.........but hoping this is of some help to you I have just found..............

Burials at Crowhurst:-
James Delves, 6.10.1789. infant.
John Delves, 6.10.1789. infant.

Sadly, these must be the twin sons I mentioned in my previous post.

Best wishes HL
Best wishes HL

Offline Deb D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 17 July 11 09:00 BST (UK) »
Many many thanks, HL - I'd shoved OH's Delves lot onto the backburner, a bit, ... but this additional info has rekindled the fire under it   :D

Mazzak/Marion, are you still following?

Cheers
Deb
I live in Sydney, Australia, and I'm researching: Powell, Tatham, Dunbar, Dixon, Mackwood, Kinnear, Mitchell, Morgan, Delves, & Anderson

Offline Hampshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 17 July 11 10:19 BST (UK) »
Glad the info helped a little Deb.

Will send you a PM when I have the photos.

Best wishes HL.
Best wishes HL

Offline Deb D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 17 July 11 13:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks heaps HL  :D

Offline ocian_c

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 06 August 11 08:33 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I live in Worthing and have seen your post.  What denomination would your Delves be?  Have you identified any particular area in Worthing your family may have lived as this would hel;p narrow down the search.. I would be willing to have a look!
Keenan (Co. Antrim Ireland - Scotland)
McCart (Co. Antrim Ireland - Scotland)
McMullan (Ballymoney Co. Antrim)
Westwood (Kingswinford)
Bray (Colwell, Herefordshire)
Stanley (London)
Moss-Smith (Altrincham and surrounds)

Offline Deb D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 06 August 11 08:56 BST (UK) »
Hi there, and thanks for the offer!

There appears to have been some chopping-and-changing of denominations with this family.  I think they started off as C of E, and certainly Rev. William of St Laurence's in Catsfield was C of E, ... but there may have been a mass Methodist re-baptism or two, shortly before John Delves and the Crouch family into which he later married (twice!) sailed for the Antipodes.  (* Have "filed" many of my notes in a very heavy box on top of a wardrobe!  ::) ... so can't access them right at the moment ...   :-[ *)

Will have to line up OH to get the box down! - But anything that might link Rev. William with John Delves, b. 1819 to John Delves and his wife Mary/May Thorpe, (baptised in Wartling?) ... would be appreciated

Cheers
Deb

Offline Susan M S

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 13 November 11 19:39 GMT (UK) »
Delves in Frant: There are lots of them as all teh Tunbridge Wells Delves had to be buried somewhere and it usually was in Frant until a cemetery got opened in Trinity church, TWells in 1824 and then in Woodbury Park T Wells in 1849.

There is a Rev William Delves who is vicar of Frant  between 1741 and 1783 : his grave inscription reads William Delves Rev d 12 apr 1784 age 66 also memorial on west wall of church ‘ for 42 years vicar of this parish’. This one in Frant has 3 children in Frant. and seems to live in Frant all his life, He married Elizabeth Newington in 1758 in Frant. At the moment I have not idea who William Delves 1718-1784 is, is he brother to Richard Delves of Tunbridge Wells who died in 1779 and was buried in Frant?

There is also a grave inscription for Rev William Delves d 1823 no age given. I wonder if this is the Rev William Delves in Crowhurst?  As a Rev William Delves appears in Battle as a curate and in Crowhurst as a clerk. And in Battle Richard Delves of Tunbridge also appears.... this could be from the same links. There is also a Rev william Delves who gets an MA in OXford in 1817. Are these different William Delves? Or the same person who died 1823?

In Vol VII (July-oct 1823) The Investigator (or, Quarterly magazine) the death of Rev william Delves of Catsfield age 36 is reported , allegedly immediately after the service he led. So maybe his interrement was in Frant because of familial links? But if 36 is his age, this does not correspond to some entries for Rev William Delves earlier in 1790 ish.... or is it his father (?) William who is married to Ann nee Bishop? And is William 1718-1784 his grandfather?

Susan
Wickenden, Delves, Viall, Edwards in Kent and Sussex
Bullett, Jakeman, Spooner, England in Suffolk/Norfolk
Golightly in Durham/Newcastle