Author Topic: 'Natural Son'  (Read 6383 times)

Offline joboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
'Natural Son'
« on: Friday 20 June 14 11:18 BST (UK) »
I dont know what to make of this ... perhaps someone can?;
Stephen WOOD bp 23-Nov 1760 son of Sarah Wood natural son   

Gill UK and Australia
Bell UK and Australia
Harding(e) Australia
Finch UK and Australia

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 'Natural Son'
« Reply #1 on: Friday 20 June 14 11:22 BST (UK) »
It's another term for illegitimate.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline joboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 20 June 14 23:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks Annette .... euphemistic eh? ........ they must have had a 'Pollitical Correctness Brigade' in those days too. ::) ::)
Joe
Gill UK and Australia
Bell UK and Australia
Harding(e) Australia
Finch UK and Australia

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 20 June 14 23:29 BST (UK) »
I've never seen that before....a polite way of putting it.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 21 June 14 09:31 BST (UK) »
I agree that it somehow sounds nicer.   Occasionally the actual father is named i.e. John Bloggs, son of Sarah Bloggs.   Natural son of John Smith.   I guess that only happened if the father acknowledged that it was his child.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 21 June 14 09:40 BST (UK) »
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Squire/Thomas/Davies/Gibbons/Mordecai/Bowen/Lewis/Rees/Williams/Jones/Llewellyn/Morgan - Glamorgan
Lewis - Breckonshire
Davies/Roderick - Myddfai Carms
Lloyd/Jones - Denbigh/Salop
Thackwell/Thomas - Hereford/Monmouthshire
Shoemac/Squire/Keirle/Small - Somerset
Berry/Baggot/Lee/Clayton - Lancs
Yelland/Bray/Trethewey - Cornwall
Baggot/Hurley/Keaveny/Shiel/Flynn - Ireland

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 21 June 14 10:28 BST (UK) »
It's often used in Wills where the writer wants to admit he was the father of the named individual.  More polite than illegitimate. ;D ;D  Either that or they use "reputed" child. ;)
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 21 June 14 10:51 BST (UK) »
Possibly a little more sensitive than a baptism entry I found which stated, "Conceived in fornication;D
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 22 June 14 15:18 BST (UK) »
In one parish I researched in Oxfordshire the incumbent had a real thing about such children, he always recorded them as 'Bastard!' and in several instances 'Bastard, son (daughter) of a Bastard!

His successor took a much kinder approach using 'Natural son (daughter)' or 'Natural child'.

He also had the difficult situation of a brother/sister relationship where he recorded the offspring's baptisms as 'Natural son (daughter) of a natural relationship'.  I only know it was incestuous because of the final baptism entry for the couple by his successor who recorded the entry as 'Natural child of brother and sister xxxx & yyyy zzzz.  They weren't my ancestors but having come across the entry it intrigued me and I did some research to try and find out more about them but found they must have moved from the parish shortly after this last entry and there were no marriages/burials for any of them.  It seemed like the relationship was kind of accepted by the initial recording incumbent and even his successor who simply regularised the parentage entry, perhaps there was a 'reason' for the acceptance such as mental health issues - this was in the early 1700s in a small village in the middle of a small farming community isolated by some distance from its nearest parish neighbours.