Author Topic: TURNER JOHN  (Read 1785 times)

Offline jel

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
TURNER JOHN
« on: Thursday 11 September 14 11:39 BST (UK) »
I would like to find the parents of John Turner baptised on 27 Dec 1783 in Ripe, Sussex. He married Sarah Ellis on 2 August 1807. His parents were John and Sarah and I have seen a family tree by the Hutchins/Smith family who seem to think his father was John Turner b 4 Nov 1752 who married Sarah Tutt b 1759. I was wondering if anyone had any proof of this. In the family tree I have seen Sarah Turner nee" Ellis having died in 1844 but in actual fact she died in 1825 ( I have the death certificate)
If anyone has any information re this family I would appreciate hearing from you.
Many thanks
Janet

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: TURNER JOHN
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 September 14 11:45 BST (UK) »
1825 death is going to be a burial record, not a death certificate.

What detail does the 1825 record give?
Name, age, address, kin etc?

Pauline
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline jel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 September 14 12:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks Pauline. Only the spouse's name of John Turner, place Horsham, Sussex, d 9 March 1825.She wasn't on the 1841 census records with John. I think I will have to order the baptism certificate of John Turner from the LDS to see if it has any information about John's parents. That should be the starting point, I can't just accept what I read on someone's family tree...... I would like to, save me a lot of time!
Regards
Janet

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 11 September 14 17:17 BST (UK) »
The SFHG transcription for Ripe doesn't give a surname for the baptism on 27 Dec 1783, just lists John s/o John ? and Sarah ?  No other Turners until 1820s

That may mean the transcriber couldn't read the surname or the records were damaged making transcription impossible.  Checking the actual parish records would answer that question.

SFHG Marriage Index has a John Turner marrying a Sarah Tutt on 2 Nov 1782 at Uckfield by licence 2 Nov Lewes Archdeaconry.

Same index has a John Turner marrying a Sarah Ellis on 12 Aug 1807 at Rusper by license 10 Aug Chichester Archdeaconry.

Offline jel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 11 September 14 22:29 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for that information from the SFHG website, much appreciated and a huge help.
Kind regards
Janet