Author Topic: Kirklinton photo album  (Read 17582 times)

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
Re: Kirklinton photo album
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 01 January 14 22:54 GMT (UK) »
I also have many unnamed photographs in the album. Any ideas how I can find out who they are?

Shosh

I also have a photo album, some named, some not  :-\  I have connected some unnamed ones with named family members by looking to see if the background matches another photo, taken at the same sitting.  I have photos of young an older ladies that I have identified as the same person by their jewellery, as well as facial similarities of course.  Not easy, but sometimes it falls into place.

Jool
Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton

Offline clearly

• RootsChat Senior
  • If we understand the past we understand the future
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 18 January 14 21:42 GMT (UK) »
Reference the list below:
There is a John Irving Coulthard, son of George and Jane Coulthard of Brisco Hall in Arthuret graveyard (Longtown). He died in 1942 and his parents in 1916 and 1918 respectively. They lived at Brisco Hall [Hill] which is in Arthuret parish.
Forster Cul, Harrison Cul, Wood Cul Yks, Castley Cul & Wes, Lorimer Cul and Perth,Innis Cul, Casson, Cul, Johnston,Cul & Nfk, Carruthers Cul, Ewart Cul, Jardine Cul & Dmf, Story Cul, ONeill Cul & NI, Davis Cul & Ldn,

Offline shoshannah

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 19 January 14 00:30 GMT (UK) »
Thanks clearly,

I've been looking for further details since your post but keep coming to dead ends. Do you think Janes maiden name was Irving who married a George coulthard in 1872. It would make so much sense with reference to John Irving, but I can't find any other evidence for her, other than the one marriage certificate. Can't find her dob, parents etc. Thanks again for your input on this, it is much appreciated!

Shosh

Offline BellChambersMcGeorge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 21 March 14 19:37 GMT (UK) »
Exciting stuff people! Although photography may have missed my family when they lived in Kirklinton, well, you never know and if ANYONE has ANY history regarding the BELL family or CHAMBERS or BATY? please please please let me know! I too have photographs of the BELLS in Carlise and sometimes there is enough of a family feature resemblance to help put two and two together.
My great great Grandfather was William Bell born approx, 1807 at Moat Hill, Kirklinton, his sister was Jane and she may have been born in/at Arthuret. I do not know who his family was, farmers, yes, millwrights possibly as well. He married a JANE CHAMBERS and they moved to Carlisle where he developed the Carr's Tablewater Biscuits mill, and in later life to Stockport where his son Henry, my Great Grandfather lived as a Millwright as well.
Below is an excerpt of his obituary:
The death occurred on Monday at the ripe old age of 92 of Mr. William BELL, formerly millwright in this city, but latterly living in retirement with his son in Lorne Street. Mr. Bell, whose figure was familiar to almost everybody in the city, was able to go about until just before his death. He was the son of a farmer and was born at Moat Hill, Kirklinton in 1806. He received what was in those days a liberal education and during the stirring times of his youth he used to go from farmhouse to farmhouse reading the news of the wars, his recollections of which, and especially of Waterloo, furnished the theme of many an interesting conversation in his latter days.
He served his apprenticeship as a millwright with James MILLICAN, of Lowther Street, whose premises were on the site of Bank Street...

THANKS SO VERY MUCH, I AM AT A STANDSTILL WITH THE BELLS, Sue
Bell, Bowlas, Chambers, Cropper, McGeorge, Halliday, Neilson, Biggar, Baldwin, Hayward, Mosley, Cheek, Hodnett, Evans, Jones

Offline robbiesmum

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 24 March 14 20:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sue
Are these your BELLs? baptised at Arthuret

Nov-09   1802   Marr.   BELL    John Bell. of Great Randalinton in this Parish, Bachelor & Mary Baty of Slealands in the same, Spinster by Licence      
Jul-17   1803   Bapt.   BELL   Jane daughter of John of Randalinton, Husbandman & Mary his wife (late Baty)      
Jan-22   1805   Bapt.   BELL   Thos. son of John of Moat-hill, Kirklinton & Mary his wife (late Baty)      
Dec-21   1806   Bapt.   BELL   William son of John of Moat hill Kirklinton, Farmer & Mary his wife (late Baty)      
Jul-23   1809   Bapt.   BELL   John son of John of Moat Hill Kirklinton parish & Mary his wife (late Baty)   

Could be others in different parishes?
cheers
robbiesmum   

Offline robbiesmum

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 24 March 14 21:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sue
also possibly this BELL baptised in Arthuret, though the date is a lot later?
May-05   1822   Bapt.   BELL   Margaret daughter of John & Mary, Labourer of Cross Dyke Kirkandrews Parish (late Baty)      

There is also this snippet from the Carlisle Journal in 1852:
April 9th 1852 CJ
A mad dog at Longtown
Last Friday a mad dog made its appearance in the neighbourhood of Longtown and bit Mrs Bell of Cross Dyke, mother of Mr Bell, millwright of this city. The wound was dressed and it is to be hoped that no bad consequences will ensue. It is stated that a number of cattle were also bitten by the same animal.

There is a John and Mary BELL living at Cross Dyke in the 1851 census who might fit the above couple
cheers
robbiesmum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 24 March 14 22:17 GMT (UK) »
oooooooooh, I have shivers running up and down my arms! This sounds like them alright. Bless you I think you have cracked it! The family names were almost always Thomas, Henry, William, John, Mary, Elizabeth, Jane, Margaret.  :o :D :) I wish I had access to the ancestry.com sight but I unsubscribed this month so I could get some money making work done! Wow. Thank you so very much. Now if I could ever find photos of some of them I would be over the flipping moon. I hope I can go back even further now...
Next up, the mystery of Jane Chambers who William Bell b. 1806 married and Penelope Halliday from the Parish of Kirkmahoe, village of Auchencairn, b. about 1780,her daughter, also a Penelope, married a William John (of course) McGeorge. Penelope McGeorge married Thomas Bell, son of William Bell 1806 and Jane Chambers. It doesn't help that there are more William and Marys in my tree than you can shake a tree limb at and that seems to be a very popular combination of names.
MAD DOG? I should check and see if in fact this lead to her death, if it was indeed rabid, yikes.
Greatfully,
Susan
Bell, Bowlas, Chambers, Cropper, McGeorge, Halliday, Neilson, Biggar, Baldwin, Hayward, Mosley, Cheek, Hodnett, Evans, Jones

Offline shoshannah

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 25 March 14 14:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Susan,

There are some Bells within this family tree and also possibly some of the albums photos.please private message me with your email address and ill send you a link to view the photos and tree.

Shosh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 30 June 14 13:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Shosh , never received the link with pics re Bell family, Kirklinton family photos? We communicated via my gmail.
Sue