Author Topic: 1851 Place transcribed as WHAM WHATER ??  (Read 6062 times)

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1851 Place transcribed as WHAM WHATER ??
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 25 January 14 20:30 GMT (UK) »
The writing on the census is so hard to make out ...

... ans is a copy of something else, perhaps written by candlelight by someone who couldn't write very well.  :-\
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline clearly

• RootsChat Senior
  • If we understand the past we understand the future
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 27 January 14 19:18 GMT (UK) »
I am posting this with great trepidation because it really is extending the bounds of possibility. But, here goes.
Just north of Carlisle, in Kirklinton parish, is a farm called Whamtown. About 7/8ths of a mile to the north is a farm called The Lake. Between these two places there used to be small lake or tarn which was drained in the early 19th century. Only a small pond remain there today. I have not seen a record of Whamwhater and these farms are in the east of Cumberland.
Forster Cul, Harrison Cul, Wood Cul Yks, Castley Cul & Wes, Lorimer Cul and Perth,Innis Cul, Casson, Cul, Johnston,Cul & Nfk, Carruthers Cul, Ewart Cul, Jardine Cul & Dmf, Story Cul, ONeill Cul & NI, Davis Cul & Ldn,

Offline FredRogers

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 27 January 14 21:32 GMT (UK) »

Just north of Carlisle, in Kirklinton parish, is a farm called Whamtown. About 7/8ths of a mile to the north is a farm called The Lake.
Thanks !
This is an interesting find that definitely shouldn't be ruled out especially as it does seem to say Wham Whater .Where would the nearest parish be I wonder?It is about an hour away on modern roads but as has been pointed out people  did travel for marriage and ofcourse for work .I cannot be sure the Disington birth is the correct one.Eleanor and John were married in the Crosscranby area,and lived in the Dearham area Moorside ,Ewanrigg(Unerigg) and Ellenbrough areas before moving all the way to  Medomsley and Ryton .

Offline clearly

• RootsChat Senior
  • If we understand the past we understand the future
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 28 January 14 10:27 GMT (UK) »
I mentioned Kirklinton Parish in the post. I believe the two places mentioned are now in Blackford parish which was carved out of the parishes of Kirklinton and Rockcliffe in 1870. Unfortunately the parish boundaries on OS maps are for the Civil parish and not the ecclesiastical parish so I can't be certain if the civil and church parishes are the same.
Forster Cul, Harrison Cul, Wood Cul Yks, Castley Cul & Wes, Lorimer Cul and Perth,Innis Cul, Casson, Cul, Johnston,Cul & Nfk, Carruthers Cul, Ewart Cul, Jardine Cul & Dmf, Story Cul, ONeill Cul & NI, Davis Cul & Ldn,