Author Topic: John and Hugh Donnelly  (Read 17029 times)

Offline donno

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John and Hugh Donnelly
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 03 March 10 22:24 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all so much for your great help.  I can't believe all the great information received.  Hugh was in the army at the time of the 1911 census, so that is why he did not appear on the Irish census.  He was working in Guinness when he married.  Can you post me the link for the English 1911 census.  I have been in touch with Guinness with regard to his work record there.  I have to make an appointment with them to view this.  I have learned more in the last few posts than in almost 6 months of trying to research it myself.

Offline obbie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • miska moo samoyed and holly hunter cocker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 03 March 10 22:48 GMT (UK) »
www.1911census.co.uk
search by name and age then go down list pick out your guy , theres two different costs one for typed out then actuall , not to sure of costs while since i used it
 census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Hanrahan dublin - brock limerick dublin - farrington wicklow dublin - fagan dublin wicklow - mescall clare u.s.a - heron herring wales england

Offline donno

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 06 March 10 19:50 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Obbie, the military one is my Hugh.  Amazing to think he was serving in the army then.  Wonder if he was in any active military engagements before WW1.

Offline obbie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 08 March 10 17:21 GMT (UK) »
hi i had a quick look for you .
hugh donnelly 2nd connaught rangers reg no. 7244 discharged 30 11 17
hugh donnelly royal dublin fusiliers       reg no. 9806
hugh p donnelly royal dublin fusiliers    reg no. 26319

these are medal cards which give no more info than what given .
there are a lot of records but all for hugh,s from scotland one tyrone .
there was one for inniskillin .

if you wish more info , kew has all ww1 records but about 40 percent only exist still .
i have used Richard Moles (google) to get me records he charges 40-50 stg
happy hunting

Hanrahan dublin - brock limerick dublin - farrington wicklow dublin - fagan dublin wicklow - mescall clare u.s.a - heron herring wales england

Offline donno

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 08 March 10 19:22 GMT (UK) »
Thanks obbie.  I don't think the Hugh in the Connaught Rangers is him because of the 1917 date.  I know from Guinnesses that he left the army in 1919/1920.  I think it may be the middle Hugh because his second name was Bartolomew, so his initial would have been B not P.  Thanks for all your help.  I know Guinness have his army number so hopefully in the next few weeks I will be able to do some more research over there.  Thank you so much for all your help on my behalf, its much appreciated.

Offline obbie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 08 March 10 19:44 GMT (UK) »
i wonder did he leave c rangers and join dub fus ?

Offline donno

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 08 March 10 20:35 GMT (UK) »
Good question, don't know why I think he may have been in the R.D.F. cos my aunts seem to think he was in the C.R.  Will have to check this with them.   Would there have been any reason why he would have left one regiment to go into another especially as the war was still on at this point ?  Will post again as soon as I have any info.  Thanks again.

Offline gizzmo

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 11 July 10 13:32 BST (UK) »
Hi, I'm new to this as well.  Just thought I let you know that my great grandparents Donnelly lived in 90 Bride Street in 1911.  I haven't come across a 'Hugh' yet though.  My line of Donnellys lived in Clanbrassil Street in 1901, Bride Street 1911,  then Golden Lane and then Synge Street.  If I can be of any help let me know.
Hawkins - Dublin/Dunne -Packenham
Quinn - Dublin/Doyle - Wicklow
Donnelly- Dublin/O'Connor-Dublin
Peppard - Dublin/Condron - Dublin
Murray - Ballymahon,Longford/McCormick - Longford
Doran - Dublin/Carroll  - Dublin

Offline donno

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 29 July 10 21:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Gizmo, I wonder if your line of Donnellys maybe related to my Donnellys.  I have found my grandfathers family on the 1901 census and they were living in Upper Clanbrassil Street.  There was John (my great grandfather), his sons Patrick, Joseph, James, Hugh (my grandfather) and Michael and his daughters Mary and Elizabeth. 

By the 1911 census, John Donnelly seems to have died and Mary was married and Michael and Elizabeth were on the census return as visitors.  However, I could find no trace of John Donnelly and as the other sons names are very common I have met a blank wall. 

Could you fill me in on a little bit of your Donnellys to see if there are any links.