Author Topic: 110 on one day  (Read 5921 times)

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 110 on one day
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 04 September 14 00:59 BST (UK) »
Could it have been a mass recording of baptisms rather than all done on the same day?

I would think they were all baptised on the same day otherwise different dates would be noted but perhaps not, the mind boggles when thinking how the rector would have organised such an operation, perhaps he did them in batches throughout the day.
Concentrating currently on:
Essex: Card, Harris, Stowell, Theobald/Tibbles & Turner.
Norfolk: Beale, Cork & Dalton.
Yorkshire: Oswald Sturdy birth/baptism c1708, Oswald where the devil are you?

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 110 on one day
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 13 September 14 23:33 BST (UK) »

Hi Mark,

In the baptism registers of St Peter ad Vincular (C of E) Coggeshall Essex there is more than one instance of "mass baptisms", whether or not they exceed 110 in 1 day I can't recall but there were a tidy few.  One reason I've been told is that Coggeshall was a "hot bed" of non-conformism so that many people were resistant to the established church (C of E), I'm not sure how big a part that played in matters though. 

I have an idea that the church may have told people, that for the C of E to marry or bury people they would need to be baptised C of E, I'm sure someone on RootsChat can correct that if it's not 100% correct. 

Marriage and Burial cannot be denied to parishioners on the grounds of their not having been baptized. Nor could they in the past. However, the unbaptized might not be buried in consecrated ground.

My Coggeshall ancestors were nonconformists, and they were buried in the unconsecrated part of the grave yard. I even know the plot numbers. Unfortunately, no record of the location of the plot numbers survives, so this information does not assist me any ...
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright