Author Topic: General Register Office Research Facility in Dublin  (Read 4941 times)

Offline anniedwyer84

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Irish Nutter on the Hunt for Rellies :-)
    • View Profile
General Register Office Research Facility in Dublin
« on: Tuesday 31 December 13 22:06 GMT (UK) »
Hope it's ok to post this here  :)

General Register Office - Research Facility - Dublin

The General Register Office (Oifig An Ard-Chláraitheora) maintains a family research facility at Werburgh Street, Dublin 2.
At this office members of the public, for a prescribed fee, may search the indexes to the registers and purchase photocopies of records identified from the indexes.  Please see Searches and Fees below for details of the fees.
Indexes in relation to the following records of life events are available for inspection at the research facility:
•   Births registered in the island of Ireland between 1st January, 1864 and 31 December, 1921 inclusive, and in Ireland (excluding the six north-eastern counties of Derry, Antrim, Down, Armagh, Fermanagh and Tyrone known as Northern Ireland) from 1922 onwards.
•   Deaths registered in the island of Ireland between 1st January, 1864 and 31st December, 1921 inclusive and in Ireland (excluding Northern Ireland) from 1922 onwards.
•   Non-Roman Catholic Marriages registered in the island of Ireland between 1st April, 1845 and 31st December, 1863 inclusive.
•   Marriages registered in the island of Ireland between 1st January, 1864 and 31st December, 1921 inclusive and in Ireland (excluding Northern Ireland) from 1922 onwards.
•   Domestic Adoptions registered in Ireland from 10th July, 1953 onwards.
Opening hours
Monday to Friday, (excluding public holidays) from 9.30 a.m. to 4.30 p.m.
Searches and Fees
Two types of searches may be undertaken at the genealogical/family history research facility:
1.   A specific search covering a maximum of 5 years for a fee of €2.00
2.   A general search covering any number of years for a fee of €20.00 per day
A photocopy of an entry in the records can be purchased for €4.00.

Records Held at GRO Roscommon

The General Register Office, (Oifig an Ard-Chláraitheora) is located at Government Offices, Convent Road, Roscommon, Co. Roscommon.  In addition to the records maintained at the family research facility in the Werburgh Street, Dublin 2 indexes to the following registers of life events are maintained solely at Roscommon.
These include:
•   Births at Sea of children, one of whose parents was born on the island of Ireland between 1st January, 1864 and 31st December, 1921. Births at Sea of Children, one of whose parents was born in Ireland after 1921.
•   Deaths at Sea of persons born on the island of Ireland between 1st January, 1864 and 31st December, 1921 and of persons born in Ireland after 1921.
•   Births of children of Irish parents, certified by British Consuls abroad, between 1st January, 1864 and 31st December, 1921.
•   Deaths of Irish-born persons, certified by British Consuls abroad, between 1st January, 1864 and 31st December, 1921.
•   Marriages celebrated in Dublin by the late Rev. J F G Schulze, Minister of the German Protestant Church, Poolbeg Street , Dublin , from 1806 to 1837 inclusive.
•   Births, Deaths and Marriages registered pursuant to the provisions of the (Army) Act, 1879.
•   Births and Deaths registered pursuant to the provisions of the Defence (Amendment) (No. 2) Act, 1960.
•   Certain births and deaths occurring outside the State (Pursuant to the provisions of The Births, Deaths and Marriages Registration Act, 1972, Sec. 4).
•   Certain Lourdes Marriages (Pursuant to the provisions of the Marriages Act, 1972, Sec.2).
•   Stillbirths registered in Ireland from 1st January 1995 (certified copies available to parents only).
•   Deaths of Irish officers and enlisted persons killed in action or who died while serving abroad in The Great War (WW1) 1914 - 1919.
•   Death returns relating to the South African War (1899 – 1902) in so far as they relate to Irish subjects.
The surnames, which I am interested in are; Maternal side: Ryan, Kevin, Grant, Grady, Gleeson, Walsh, Dwyer, Paternal side: O' Dwyer, Woodlock, Rochford & Britton - all in Tipperary; and Kelly and Hoynes in Laois.

Ryan, Campbell, Luttrell, Grant, Grahame, Bainbridge and Brown in Queensland, Australia

Tighe in Victoria, Australia.

Grant in Philadelphia, Sullivan and Penny in New York; and Britton in Connecticut

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: General Register Office Research Facility in Dublin
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 01 January 14 11:58 GMT (UK) »
begging your indulgence re G R O Roscommon last few lines of paragraph re soldiers in great war,this is something new to me and delighted that you have highlighted it here,so i can actually get a death cert for a soldier killed on the Somme in 1916.
Would it make any difference if his body was'nt found,i know his name appears on the Thiepval memorial.

edit would the cost be the same as normal photocopies?

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 January 14 13:49 GMT (UK) »
I have never obtained a death cert from Roscommon for someone killed in the Somme but I did obtain one from Scotlandspeople. The certificate was a bulk list, completed by the War Office, with the military unit, then 15 names with date, rank, age, country of birth, date of death, location ie “F & F” (which I took to be Flanders and France), and “KIA” ie killed in action. Obviously with so many deaths, there was no time to obtain further details (which in many cases probably weren’t available anyway) and so they churned out bulk death certs.

It was a sobering document. I assume the Roscommon documents will be the same since they must have come from the same War Office source.
Elwyn

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 01 January 14 14:25 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for that insight Elwyn

Dathai

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 01 January 14 15:24 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if Roscommon would hold death records of Irish born men who died fighting with a Canadian or an Australian regiment. The two men I have in mind listed their Irish parents, still living in Ireland at that time, as next-of-kin.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline nbrome

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 05 January 14 07:50 GMT (UK) »
Does this mean that if I go to Dublin to do some research I go to this facility?  And pay 20 euros to spend the day doing various look-ups?  Excuse the ignorance, but I was thinking it would be free. I did some record searches a PRONI in Belfast and they don't charge you anything.

Offline athacliath62

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 05 January 14 10:00 GMT (UK) »
as far as I know the equivilant to PRONI would be the National Library, Kildare Street, which do not charge to view parish records etc. You can look up the index books in the Weburgh Street research room, which would be the same type of records as GRONI in Northern Ireland.

The same details from the index books for southern counties are on FamilySearch up to the late 1950s

Offline nbrome

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 05 January 14 10:13 GMT (UK) »
thanks for the reply. I think that when it's feasible to visit Dublin I'll study this more closely. I'm afraid it's all a bit mixed up in my head. Why would someone pay to go to that facility when they could go to the National Library?

Offline athacliath62

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 05 January 14 10:22 GMT (UK) »
they have different type of records. The GRO has the books with index for certs and you can also order copies of certs there. The Library has catholic parish and other records