Author Topic: Sir Thomas Wood of Low Hall, North or South Cave  (Read 9729 times)

Offline Kayzee

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sir Thomas Wood of Low Hall, North or South Cave
« on: Tuesday 29 November 11 11:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
   Does anyone have any knowledge of Sir Thomas & Lady Sarah Wood of Low Hall in about 1807? Their daughter Ann Maria claims to be born South Cave circa 1807. On Genuki it says Low Hall was the seat of Rev. John Petch in 1820, when it appears to be in North Cave. I have from a book that Sarah Wood was the daughter of Captain Matthews of Portsmouth & that she & Sir Thomas married in Portsea.
   In particular would like to know who Sir Thomas was, when born, died etc. Have Sarah's death in Birmingham in 1861.
Alsop/allsop,Debanks,Pidock, Nevill, Milward,Loxley,Holmes,Wall,Garton,Lowe,Shepherd,Lintott

Offline bendywendy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Sir Thomas Wood of Low Hall, North or South Cave
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 30 November 11 10:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kayzee
These may well help you, but you will need to access the doc's at Treasure House, Beverley to see what they actually contain to further your research.

zDDBD - MISS L BIRD'S DOCUMENTS (FAMILY, ESTATE AND BUSINESS RECORDS OF THE BEAUMONT FAMILY OF BEVERLEY)
DDBD/52/96   17 Dec 1807   Copy deed of trust for benefit of creditors relating to lands at North Cave
1) Thomas Wood of North Cave gentleman
2) Henry Bell of Spaldington, John Bell of Portington and Edward Blyth of Belby gentlemen
Property: farm with 47 acres; 3 cottages; closes called Rees Close, Breck, Hill Close and Sandhows; Low Hall and Low Hall Garth (occupied by Marquis de Villedueil); 4 messuages and cottage in North Cave. Furniture, goods and chattels of Thomas Wood

This one could be the father to Thomas Wood, in same papers as above
DDBD/52/94   18 Sep 1790   Copy of probate copy of will of John Wood senior of North Cave
Bequests: wife Ann; son John and Thomas; daughters Ann, Elizabeth, Mary and Sarah
Property: North Cave, Elloughton, Brantingham, South Cave, Saltmarsh, Eastrington
Probate: 21 Dec. 1791

This could be a sister to Thomas Wood, in same papers as above
DDBD/93/122    19 Jun 1816    Copy will of Sarah Wood of North Cave spinster
Bequests: brother Thomas of North Cave land surveyor; sister Elizabeth Blanshard; nephews and nieces John and Sarah Garlick, Sarah Stather Stamp, John Stamp, William Wood Stamp, Edward Blanshard Stamp, Elizabeth Margaret Stamp, Kesiah Lesley Stamp, George Jabez Stamp, John Frederick Francis Wood, Ann Maria Wood, Ann King (late Blanshard) and Ann Turner (late Garlick)
Property: furniture and silver
Witnesses: John Hilton of North Cave surgeon, William Dinsley of Howden clerk to John Peirson attorney

This could be a brother to Thomas Wood, in same papers as above
DDBD/52/95    30 May 1803    Copy will of John Wood of North Cave gentleman
Bequests: brother Thomas; friend Mrs Mary Bonner alias Sketchley alias Collins (residing with testator as housekeeper); sisters Elizabeth wife of George Blanshard, Mary wife of John Garlick, and Sarah; mother; grandmother Stather; etc
Property: Plate, North Cave, Elloughton, Brantingham, Brough, South Cave, Saltmarshe and Eastrington
This Will above maybe available to download for a small fee from National Archives...  Death Duty Registers. Abstract of Will of John Wood, Gentleman of North Cave, Yorkshire. Proved in the Court of York.    July 12 1804   IR 26/426
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/details-result.asp?Edoc_Id=7459730&queryType=1&resultcount=30

This could be a brother to Thomas Wood,
zDDGD - GRAY, DODSWORTH AND COBB (LATER GRAYS), SOLICITORS, YORK
DDGD/1137   14 Aug 1790   Extract from the will of William Wood of North Cave gentleman
Executor: brother John
Beneficiaries: all real estate to brother John Wood
Witnesses: James Smith, Thomas How, George Gale
Will dated 16 Nov 1784
Probate 14 Aug 1790
With copy codicil to will of John Wood, North Cave, gentleman, 30 Nov 1791:
Property: land at North Cave, Brantingham, South Cave, Saltmarshe and Eastrington
Beneficiaries: devise of cottage at North Cave to wife Ann for life and then to eldest daughter Ann Wood
Witnesses: William Blyth, Matthew Langrick, John Peirson
With copy declaration as to pedigree and marriage and death certificates, 1840

Regarding the titles of Sir & Lady, not found anything relating to him as Sir Thomas Wood. Her title of Lady would have come about from his title if he was granted this first, otherwise he would have had the title or Lord bestowed upon him at marriage as she would have been a Lady by birth etc..  I think looking at the doc's above he was a gentlemen first and foremost and somehow became "Knighted" for some reason and therefore his wife became Lady Wood.
You mention that Sarah Wood was a dau of a Captain, I don't think this would make her automatically a Lady, so I think this title came from Thomas Wood, I wonder if Sarah's father had a hand in him being "knighted" and him becoming a Sir  ???
Maybe there is a register for all those that receive Knighthoods etc.. ???

Now I stand to be corrected upon my understanding of the above as it takes a little sorting out from how one is addressed by these titles depending on how they came about them initially

Regarding the birth of Ann Maria Wood c 1807, she may well have been born South Cave, but her birth would not be registered, reg was from 1837, only a baptism would be registered as such and may contain details of her birth date and place, so maybe you need to be searching afield, she could also have been baptised privately at someone's private chapel etc..

Does Thomas Wood appear on census info for 1841/51/61 and if so where and what was his profession???

bendywendy
HALL     REEPHAM, HACKFORD, GUESTWICK, NFK
HALL     YORK, HOLME ON SPALDING MOOR, E. YKS
HALL     BELBY, Nr HOWDEN, E. YKS
HOUFE   YORK, RICCALL, THIRSK, DURHAM, LANCASHIRE
FEATHERSTONE     KNEDLINGTON, GILBERDYKE, E. YKS
CLAYTON   PATRINGTON, KEYINGHAM, STADDLETHORPE, E. YKS
CAWOOD   RAWCLIFFE, STADDLETHORPE
WALKER     HADDELSEY, EASTRINGTON, SHIPTONTHORPE, E. YKS
BEAN         STILLINGFLEET, ULLESKELF, KIRKBY WHARFE, YKS
TAYLES     LINCS.

Offline bendywendy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 30 November 11 11:21 GMT (UK) »
London Gazette  http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/16271/pages/1019/page.pdf
East Riding.  Thomas Wood, Late of North Cave, Farmer
I cannot find a date for this edition ??? or what the offences were ???

This is a lovely little book to read of the areas around South Cave
http://www.archive.org/stream/historyofsouthca00hall#page/n5/mode/2up

Treasure House, Beverley
zDDHH - HOTHAM HALL ESTATE RECORDS
DDHH/6/2/1   11 Mar 1772    Bargain and sale of North Cave schoolhouse
Parties
2)John Wood, North Cave, yeoman
Property: newly erected dwellinghouse in Stork Hill, North Cave, now used as a schoolhouse; 2 parcels of land, part of the South field, North Cave, in trust
Consideration: 10s

zDDRO - ROBINSON, TILL AND OAKLEY (FORMERLY ROBINSON, SHEFFIELD AND TILL), SOLICITORS, BEVERLEY
DDRO/72/6    1805   Bond of obligation for payment of £950
Parties
1) Thomas Wood of North Cave, gentleman,

zDDX1677 - NORTH CAVE DEEDS, SALTMARSHE MANORIAL RECORDS AND RELATED DOCUMENTS
1 - Brook Farm also known as Breck Farm, North Cave, deeds
17-18 Mar 1809   DDX1677/1/17   Lease and release of a close at North Cave
Parties
3) Thomas Wood, North Cave, gentleman
Property: Breck Close containing 10 acres 22 perches in Wallingfen, North Cave
Consideration: £142 10s
Memorial registered at Beverley, Book CO, Page 305, Number 481

zDDHH - HOTHAM HALL ESTATE RECORDS
DDHH/2/33/10    22 Oct 1798    Surrender of a trust term on messuage and land in Hotham
Parties:
1) John Wood, North Cave, gentleman; Thomas Wood, North Cave, gentleman

zEMG - GOOLE METHODIST CIRCUIT RECORDS
44 - Newport (Wallingfen) Church    Lease for a year relating to land at Newport, (transcript)
EMG/344/14     [30 Dec 1794]
Parties
3) John Wood, North Cave, gentleman
I would say the family of WOOD were Methodists, therefore you need to search the methodist circuit records for Newport, which is not far from South Cave. These records are held at Beverley Treasure House under the Goole Methodist Circuit Records.

Again John Wood, Gentlemen, North Cave is party to a dwellinghouse in Newport (Wallingfen) again in the Goole Methodist Circuit Records EMG/344/15.

I wonder if this is a private chapel of the Wood family ???  I think this John Wood, is the son of John Wood, Yeoman/Gentlemen who died 1790, refer back to his Will for names ???  This is most likely the Baptism place for Ann Maria Wood ???
zQSF - Quarter Sessions Files    337 - Quarter Sessions Files for Michaelmas 1792
QSF/337/E/17    c1792
Application of John Wood for registration, as a dissenters Chapel, of newly erected building, property of Ann Wood widow, on W. side of West Gate, North Cave
The book of South Cave mentions Chapels at North Cave page 84 and that of one on West Gate.

bendywendy
TAYLES     LINCS.

Offline Kayzee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 30 November 11 14:39 GMT (UK) »
Wow, what a lot of trouble you have gone to - thank you so much. I have not got time to sort  through all your wonderful information at the moment, but will hopefully get to grips with it this evening. The will information is particularly exciting, as previously I could not get any idea of age for Thomas, he having such a common surname. Hopefully now, with names of siblings etc I will be able to find the family on IGI, thank you.
Alsop/allsop,Debanks,Pidock, Nevill, Milward,Loxley,Holmes,Wall,Garton,Lowe,Shepherd,Lintott

Offline bendywendy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 30 November 11 14:41 GMT (UK) »
Your welcome Kayzee.
I will keep looking to see if he has and his family have anything else in archives.
Will search the Hull History Centre ones and let you know.

b.
TAYLES     LINCS.

Offline bendywendy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 30 November 11 15:03 GMT (UK) »
that didn't take long to find them...    Hull History Centre

PAPERS OF CRUST TODD AND MILLS, SOLICITORS, OF BEVERLEY
Brough and Elloughton    U DDCV/x1/29/8   10 - 11 April 1807
Lease and Release: for ?2545: (i) Thomas Wood as DDCV/29/7 (son and heir of John W.) and wife Sarah (ii) Ann Wood of North Cave widow of J.W. (iii) Samuel Hall as DDCV/29/7 (iv) John Peirson of Howden gent. (v) Rev. Robert Hemington vicar of Thorp Arch (vi) John Stamp of Doncaster and wife Ann, George Blanshard of Cavill Hall and wife Elizabeth, and Sarah Wood of North Cave spinster (A.S., E.B. & S.W. being daughters of J.W.) to (vii) George Popple and (viii) his trustee William Todd both of Hull merchants
4 closes, as DDCV/29/7.
Witn. Robert Galland, Hen. Peirson, Edmd. Gill jnr.

same set papers
U DDCV/x1/29/7    14 - 15 Oct 1803   
Mortgage: for ?400: Thomas Wood of North Cave to Samuel Hall of Beverley gents
Messuage, and 4 closes.
Witn. John Selley of Beverley grocer, Geo. Monkman clerk to Samuel Hall

same set papers
U DDCV/x1/29/5     9 April 1785
Assignment: for ?412.12s.: Henry Bell as DDCV/29/4 to John Wood and his trustee William Wood both of North Cave gents. As DDCV/29/4.   Witn. W. Atkinson, Robert Spofforth.

same set papers
U DDCV/x1/29/54      14 - 15 May 1790
Lease and Release: for ?95: William Nadin of Brizlincote co. Derby gent. and wife Ann, and Barnard Clarkson of Gribthorpe par. Bubwith gent. and wife Deborah to John and William Wood of North Cave gents.
Close (3 1/2ac.) in Brantingham

same set papers
U DDCV/x1/208/12    18 September 1794
Assignment: Commissioners in bankruptcy of John Turner jnr. of Newport victualler to James McTurk of Newport, John Lockwood of Beverley and John Wood of North Cave gents.
McTurk was a BIG man in Newport and surrounding area and had his fingers in a lot of pies

same set papers
U DDCV/x1/185/136     2 - 3 March 1798
Lease and Release: Gervas Seaton to John Wood of North Cave gent.
North and South Tythe Garth Closes and specified lands - -: In trust. To secure payment of ?1500 to
Sir Christopher Sykes and others as DDCV/185/128.

same set papers
U DDCV/x1/29/53     21 - 22 May 1784
Lease and Release: John Carlill to John Wood of North Cave gent.
John Wood to discharge ?400 mortgage of the premises and to pay an annuity of ?20 to John Carlill: messuage and 4 oxgangs --:

Papers of the Barnards Family of South Cave
U DDBA/x1/4/60    29 Apr 1785
Oath of John Wood of North Cave, gent. as Commissioner for Inclosure of South Cave
For registration at East Riding Registry of Deeds

Papers of the Bishop Burton Estates of the Gee and Hall-Watt Families
U DDGE/x1/3/255             30 - 31 Mar 1801
Lease and Release: for ?650    (ii) his trustees John Lockwood of Beverley gent. and John Wood of North Cave gent.

bendywendy
TAYLES     LINCS.

Offline bendywendy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 30 November 11 15:09 GMT (UK) »
Just wondering if the Wood family originated from Little Weighton, not far from North Cave as found this entry which is a lot earlier than the others ..

Hull History Centre
Papers of the Fawsitt Family of Walkington (Including the Hornby and Ferguson Families)
U DDFF/x1/1/124    Little Weighton    8 Feb 1766
Agreement between William Hewitt of Hull carrier and wife Jane, John Levitt son., and jnr., of Low Hunsley, yeoman, Mary Blackshaw of South Cave widow and William Dunning of Little Weighton yeoman and John Seaman, John Hudson and William Wood all of Little Weighton yeoman
Settling disputes over common rights in Blue Stone Close, Clay Flatts, 3 Eight Acre Flatts, Bottom Close, Sheepswaith, the Elmarcourt and Westfield
TAYLES     LINCS.

Offline bendywendy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 30 November 11 15:23 GMT (UK) »
Treasure House, Beverley
Lease for 21 years at £7 1s rent relating to property at North Cave  DDBD/52/101  20 Mar 1793
Contents:
Parties: 1) Thomas Wood 2) Robert Turner of Drewton farmer

Lease for 30 years at 1s rent for £100 for a close at North Cave  DDBD/52/99  1792-1804
Contents:
Parties: 1) Trustees as as described in DDBD/52/98 Thomas Wood of North Cave gentleman Property: close (five and a half acres.) in North Cave, formerly part of Wallingfen.

Copy deed of trust for benefit of creditors relating to lands at North Cave  DDBD/52/96  17 Dec 1807
Contents:
Parties: 1) Thomas Wood of North Cave gentleman 2) Henry Bell of Spaldington, John Bell of Portington and Edward Blyth of Belby gentlemen Property: farm with 47 acres; 3 cottages; closes called Rees Close, Breck, Hill Close and Sandhows; Low Hall and Low Hall Garth (occupied by Marquis de Villedueil); 4 messuages and cottage in North Cave. Furniture, goods and chattels of Thomas Wood.

Information of Richard Appleton overseer of the poor of North Cave: - Thomas Dunn, Richard Paget, William Scobat, Thomas Wood and William Walker all of North Cave yeomen had not buried their cattle which had died of the distemper.  QSF/161/E/18  c1748

Richard Corner and Thomas Wood of North Cave yeomen: - inhabitants of North Cave for non-repair of highway.  QSF/188/C/37  c1755

William Cock shepherd and Thomas Wood yeoman both of North Cave: - appearance of W.C.  QSF/158/C/26  c1747

Survey of Thomas Wood's Farm at Elloughton  DDHB/57/263  20 Jun 1808
TAYLES     LINCS.

Offline Kayzee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 30 November 11 23:25 GMT (UK) »
You have gone to so much trouble I feel embarrassed to say I still have not done you justice (unexpected visitors), but having read through it all, I can see you have basically given me a whole family & much to look into. I notice that a Marquis appears to be living at Low Hall in 1807 & I wondered if the zDDBD refence mentioning 'creditors'  meant that the Woods were having financial problems, but maybe I'm wrong - certainly Sir Thomas' wife wasn't calling herself Lady Wood in B'ham. He wasn't with her in the 1841 census & she was a widow in 1851. However, their daughter's husband left her nothing in his will & she had 3 children under 3 to bring up, so he must have thought she was well provided for. I will let you know how I get on.
   I notice too that John Wood was commissioner for the enclosures - that would have made him popular!
   Thank you for going above & beyond, you've knocked a huge hole in that wall for me - you're a star.