Author Topic: James McLuckie  (Read 3897 times)

Offline ian-nz

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James McLuckie
« on: Wednesday 27 April 11 09:53 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Having solved my previous posting I am hoping someone can help me with her brother James.
James McLuckie was born on the 1st May 1836 in Campsie, Stirlingshire to parents John McLuckie and Mary Neish. I found a marriage on the 6th February 1854 to Ann Melvin/Mclaren at the parish Larbert, Stirling which I thought may have been him but I have not been able to find this couple on any census after this and am now wondering if maybe this is not the James I am looking for. He is on the 1851 Census aged 13 years so he would have been 17 years old if he married in 1854.

I would really appreciate any help anyone can give me to solve this please. James is the last of this family I would love to find out what became of him. Help Please.

Pauline

Offline JustJean

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: James McLuckie
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 05 June 11 01:41 BST (UK) »
After a quick look I agree the James McLuckie marriage you found in 1854 is not your James.  This couple had a daughter Elizabeth who died in 1855 and whose death was followed a few months later by that of her mother Ann which also occurred in 1855.  The occupation of the father is collier.  There is a subsequent marriage for a James McLuckie, widower aged 24 living at Carronhall to Janet Towers in 1856.  His parents names given on the MC are James McLuckie, collier, and Jane Bruce.  There is a James and Jean on the 1851 census with son James and other children living in Larbert at Carronhall which all fits together nicely.

Sorry that this does nothing to help you find your ancestor!!

Best wishes
Jean

Offline portybelle

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 05 June 11 09:10 BST (UK) »
This could be him in 1861:

James McLuckie, age 22, Boarder, 70 Stewart Street, Glasgow Barony Parish Milton district, b Campsie ,joiner (journeyman) ,living with Stewart family and also there's an Adam McLuckie age 17 - a brother presumably? Or maybe a cousin - I see an Adam also born in Campsie to a James McLuckie.

Can't see him on 1871 - just the other one you were considering above - will keep looking.

There are two matches for a James McLuckie marriage in Glasgow or Lanarkshire betweeen 1861 and 1871 on Scotland's People but no credits left to check them!
East Lothian/Midlothian
Cowe, Cameron, Storie/Storey, Powell,
McCaskell, Kane/Cain, Howden, Duncan

For OH: East Lothian Ayrshire
Baird, Kyle, Reilly, Routledge
Mackie,Wallace, Wood, Dickson, Burrell, Brown, Darling

Offline portybelle

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 05 June 11 09:35 BST (UK) »
Hmm - just looked at that family that has Adam in 1851. They also have a James age 12 which fits in better with the one I found being 22. So maybe that James is cousin of yours? Parents are James and Margaret - father is a mill wright.

If that's the case, still haven't found your one!

There is a death on SP between 1855 and 1861 which again I can't check with no credits but when I put an age range in it's coming up with no matches.

Could be looking at either death pre 1855 or emigration?
East Lothian/Midlothian
Cowe, Cameron, Storie/Storey, Powell,
McCaskell, Kane/Cain, Howden, Duncan

For OH: East Lothian Ayrshire
Baird, Kyle, Reilly, Routledge
Mackie,Wallace, Wood, Dickson, Burrell, Brown, Darling

Offline ian-nz

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 10 June 11 05:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Jean and portybelle,

Thank you both for your help. I had also come to the the conclusion that James either emigrated or died. My thoughts are that he died between 1851 and 1861 and the death may not have been registered.

Thank you once again your help is appreciated.

Pauline

Offline alisdair810

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 17 December 14 23:21 GMT (UK) »
Been a while but the Neish name caught my attention. She, Mary, was born 1810 Stirling, Married 1835, Died 1852.
Family recorded in Campsie with 4 children.
Sources - Neish Index , but the sources noted there are Ancestry.com and International Geology Index. 
Thought it may give you somewhere else to target.

Offline ian-nz

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 18 December 14 05:59 GMT (UK) »
Thank you alisdair

I am still searching for James so I am always looking for new sources to search.

Many thanks

Pauline