Author Topic: Ballymore Eustace parish records  (Read 8767 times)

Offline chrisscales

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Ballymore Eustace parish records
« on: Wednesday 15 January 14 13:42 GMT (UK) »
Does anybody know the 'completeness' of the Ballymore Eustace parish records available on Roots Ireland for 1839-1899? http://kildare.rootsireland.ie/generic.php?filename=sources.tpl&selectedMenu=sources

My ancestor Edward Malone was born in Ballymore Eustace in about 1868 (father John Malone, mother Frances) but I've been unable to find a baptism or practically anything using the Roots Ireland search, even just using 'Malone'. Am I doing something wrong or are the records majorly incomplete? I am also looking for his parents marriage there, presumably 1860s.

There are no notes at Kildare Genealogy's site to state there are gaps: http://www.kildare.ie/genealogy/genealogical-sources.asp

Thanks

Offline annclare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ballymore Eustace parish records
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 January 14 15:21 GMT (UK) »
Have got the civil birth record? If not there is a possible entry in the registration index for a John Malone Year 1868 Naas registration district vol 12 page 667. Getting this will confirm mother's maiden name and make searching easier. But it is surprising that there are very few Malone records for that period.
annclare
Kerrisk, Healy, McGuire, Duggan - Kerry and US
Tuohy/Toohey,Gorman, Purcell, Fanning- Holycross Tipperary

Offline chrisscales

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 January 14 15:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi - thanks for the tip. I wouldn't have known Ballymore Eustace was in the Naas registration district, but looking on the map I'm sure you're right. No I don't have any civil records for this side of the family, so although Edward is missing from the civil BMD index maybe I can find brothers and sisters with a bit of searching...

Offline annclare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 15 January 14 16:29 GMT (UK) »
Oops a "CRAFT" moment should have looked for Edward not John Malone . Do you have any siblings names?
annclare

Offline chrisscales

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 15 January 14 16:54 GMT (UK) »
We have lots of photos of Edward and his life story, but because he moved to England his children/grandchildren didn't know much about his Irish upbringing, so we knew basically nothing. I recently found his parish marriage record and his Leinster Regiment service record, giving his mother's name and his birth parish, rough birth year abt 1866-1868 (accounting for later census). But his family are a mystery. On the service record it says Edward's previous trade was as a 'shoemaker' but his father John's trade on his marriage cert is 'Groom'. But that's really all I have to start with, and no siblings' names.

Edward's wedding to Hannah Keogh in 1894 is witnessed by George Magen/Meagen and Annie Donnellan. Not sure who the Donnellans are, but Hannah was living with them at the time of marriage. Anna Donnellan appears to have rented out lodgings at the address (10 Eastmoreland Place), so perhaps it is just a lodging house. One of her children is called Frances, so I guess it's feasible there's some kind of connection to Edward's mother though that is a wild guess. George Magen is a total mystery, but presumably at least one of the witnesses is related.

Offline annclare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 15 January 14 22:20 GMT (UK) »
Just looked at the marriage on the Irish genealogy site. It seems Edward's parents were living in Dublin city at the time of marriage address New Row. Had a look at the 1901 Census for residents of New Row -there is one in Kilmainham and one in Malahide but I wonder if there is another not listed in the census. However as you probably have seen no matching Malone that I could find in the 1901 Census.
annclare
Added
Just looked at A---ry Assume Scales family tree is yours - so have been retracing your steps.
annclare

Offline chrisscales

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 15 January 14 22:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ann, yes that is my tree so retracing steps but thanks for your help nonetheless, it's much appreciated. On the civil marriage cert it shows his father as deceased so the address New Row is where his mother is living. According to his service record she remarried as Fanny Byrne and her address there is 18 New Row. But nothing solid for a Frances Byrne/Fanny Byrne either except unlikely matches on the census, so I will probably order whatever likely death certs I can find from the GRO. That's all I can think of to do next...

Offline annclare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 15 January 14 23:24 GMT (UK) »

Edward's wedding to Hannah Keogh in 1894 is witnessed by George Magen/Meagen and Annie Donnellan. Not sure who the Donnellans are, but Hannah was living with them at the time of marriage. Anna Donnellan appears to have rented out lodgings at the address (10 Eastmoreland Place), so perhaps it is just a lodging house. .
There are two marriages of Donnellan daughters/sisters of Ann Donnellan residing at 10 Eastmoreland Place at marriage. Father is given as Inspector in RIC so No 10 assume  is the family home. This doesn't give any obvious clues however.
Donnellan Eastmoreland Place
http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/reels/d-46-3-7-017.pdf
http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/reels/haddington_road_mf_1849-1907_ma_0530.pdf
good Hunting
annclare

Offline chrisscales

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 15 January 14 23:51 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Anne, yes I've actually got the Donnellans on my tree as well but it didn't go very far, and George Meagen/Magen is a dead end because the spelling is strange (but tonnes of records Magan/Meagan). But I'm sure you're right that 10 Eastmoreland Place is the family home. All I know is in Show Week 1892 'A Donnelan' advertised rooms at the address in the newspaper for male lodgers to stay for the duration of the show.

I just found this though which could possibly be Edward Malone's mother Frances now married to David Byrne at a baptism as godparents to his brother's child in 1877, in I think the same parish as New Row: http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details/f459f90344723

Edit: scratch that, they seem to have been married in 1850, and lived at New Street, so too early to be Edward's mother.