Author Topic: Richard Light ....my bigamist g grandfather...7 years transportation  (Read 1630 times)

Offline Ringrose

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
I had previously posted about the trial of the above man for bigamy twice over at the Old Bailey in 1842.I was always puzzled as to how having been sentenced to 7 years transportation he manages to have two daughters in 1847'and 1849.Knowing he was put on the prison hulk York off Gosport Decided to visit Kew where I turned the pages of the York records.Imagine how thrilled I was to see his name and a description of his apearance and the main thing proving that he is the Richard Light born inLongton on Tern .It also stated get was pardoned in.1845.... I wonder why.
With the Shropshire records on line I know his father was aRichard Light of High Ercall.
I'm interested to know if there are any others with Light ancestors in the area of High Ercall,Tibberton ,Waters Upton.
Ringrose

Mann Ringrose Prior( West London)Prior (Halstead Colchester and Sudbury)Ringrose (Northants) Clark(sussex  Bath)Light(Shropshire West London)Barber(Northants)Gaudern (Northants)Piper(Suffolk)Carter (Essex)Nightingale,Stiles,Dunk,Hedgecock(Kent)Mann(south Devon )Le Cronier,Le Quesne,Poingdestre,Esnouf,Le Guyt,Anley.Le Carteret(Jersey)Clark(Bath,Batcombe,and Nyland )
er(essex)Nightingale(kent Sussex)Sutton (sussex)