Author Topic: Chippenham Townsend's.  (Read 4106 times)

Offline owenrich

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Chippenham Townsend's.
« on: Friday 26 September 14 19:14 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am descended from the Townsend's of Chippenham.  I would be very pleased to make contact with anyone that is descended from the family or has information on them.  Thank you in anticipation.  Brian Townsend.

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
Re: Chippenham Townsend's.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 29 September 14 10:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Brian,

There was another user Ribbo39 researching a William Towsend in Highworth, is this too far?
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=627490.msg4754874#msg4754874

Melksham ???
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=641241.msg4881414#msg4881414

There are a few more but was not sure if the geography is too far from Chippenham.

Regards

Sarah :)
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline owenrich

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 29 September 14 16:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Sarah, Thank you for your reply to my request.  I am afraid there was a "Townsend" family in most villages!  It seems that those who lived at the edge of the village were named thus!!  The two links you gave me are not the family I am looking for.  However, the Melksham Townsend's were part of my Chippenham Townsend's way back in the 15th century before moving to Melksham.  This is what make genealogy so interesting.  Credit to you for setting up this "chat" room.  Best wishes.  Brian.

Offline Jozzle

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 06 April 15 18:12 BST (UK) »
Brian

I have Townsend's in Chippenham although my lot started off in Bremhill. The Chippenham ones started with Richard and Sarah Townsend (Slade) and then numerous children but my line goes through Aaron Townsend who married Kate Gough and then they had Henry Townsend (and many others) who married my nan Winifred Pearce.

Any bells ringing?

Julie

Offline owenrich

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 08 April 15 15:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Julie

Thank you for your contact.  I have had a look on Ancestry and found your ancestors.  George Townsend 1801 & Mary Davies 1803 from Calne.  Their son Richard 1830  & Sarah Slade 1829.  Aaron 1862 & Kate Gough 1871.  Henry 1899 & Winifred Pearce 1900 married in 1933 at Melksham.   There are a couple of trees following Winifred and several more with the Townsend's.  Sadly none are connected to my Townsend line.  I notice that your Townsend's from Chippenham lived at the Butts.  My gggggrandmother, Jane Townsend, died at the first workhouse at the Butts in 1840!  Thanks again for your message and good luck with your research.

Brian Townsend.
Brian

I have Townsend's in Chippenham although my lot started off in Bremhill. The Chippenham ones started with Richard and Sarah Townsend (Slade) and then numerous children but my line goes through Aaron Townsend who married Kate Gough and then they had Henry Townsend (and many others) who married my nan Winifred Pearce.

Any bells ringing?

Julie
[/quote]