Author Topic: Priesthood in Ireland  (Read 3592 times)

Offline Sonas

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Priesthood in Ireland
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 02 October 14 22:52 BST (UK) »
Contact details: http://www.raphoediocese.ie/contact-us
They may have someone assigned as a diocesan archivist.

As you're in Maynooth though you can probably do some research yourself. There was, and still is, a yearly publication called the Catholic Directory. It lists the parish priests were assigned to each year. I'd imagine there should be copies in one or other of the libraries at Maynooth. I'd still contact the diocese though as they may have other information on him eg if a will is extant.

This publication is by Patrick J. Hamell and is an index of Maynooth students 1795-1895. There's a further book covering up to the 1980s.

Offline KitHannay

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 02 October 14 23:01 BST (UK) »
Thank you, you've been so helpful. I'll have a look in the library tomorrow morning all going well and see what I can find. And I've e-mailed the diocese of raphoe to see if they could further my knowledge. Thank you again, I really appreciate it! :)
Hanna, Donoghue, Johnson, Williams, Glackin, Bradley, Fenlon, Carroll, McGinley, Haughey, Holmes, Cross

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 12 October 14 08:11 BST (UK) »

Offline KitHannay

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 12 October 14 12:11 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much. He seemed to be manager of a lot of schools! What would that have meant back then? What would his duties have been, do you know?
Hanna, Donoghue, Johnson, Williams, Glackin, Bradley, Fenlon, Carroll, McGinley, Haughey, Holmes, Cross

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 12 October 14 14:08 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much. He seemed to be manager of a lot of schools! What would that have meant back then? What would his duties have been, do you know?

He would have been responsible for making sure the schools were run smoothly under direction of the terachers/head teacher, visited to see what was going on (perhaps even been involved in the religious instruction of the children), been involved with hiring and firing of teachers, perhaps dealing with the budget, visiting parents that weren't sending children to school, etc.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!