Author Topic: Scotland 1881 census: Birth place other as transcribed: RHUANAH IRELAND  (Read 4062 times)

Offline jenimac

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Scotland 1881 census: Birth place other as transcribed: RHUANAH IRELAND
« on: Saturday 04 October 14 22:38 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I have found an Aberdeen, Scotland 1881 census transcription on "find my past" which states the birth place as "Rhuanah Ireland" for my Ancestor.  I have never been able to find 'where' in Ireland he was born so this seems to be a step forward but I cannot find a place by this name.  This record is a transcription but no matter what search parameters I use I cannot find the same record on Scotlands People as I was hoping to see the actual writing and hopefully decipher the word if there is no such place as "Rhuanah"

Any help would be greatly appreciated as this has been my major brick wall for years.

many thanks
Jenny

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Scotland 1881 census: Birth place other as transcribed: RHUANAH IRELAND
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 04 October 14 23:11 BST (UK) »
Can you please give us the other details (name, age, etc.) to see if we can figure it out.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline jenimac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 04 October 14 23:31 BST (UK) »
Yes of course.
The address was 20 Prince Regent Street, St Nicholas, Aberdeen and there were 3 occupants
James Irvine - head - married - 52 - 1829 - fireman (boat) and birthplace is left out but then when you click on the transcription next to his name it brings up more details and that's where it says
birthplace other as transcribed: RHUANAH IRELAND

Janet Irvine - wife - married - 53 -  1828 Birthplace: Nigg, Kincardineshire, Scotland

John Irvine - son - unmarried - 17 - 1864 - twine spinner Birthplace: Aberdeen, Aberdeenshire, Scotland.

This is definitely my ancestor. His wife was Janet Ross born in Nigg and John was his 6th child born in November 1863.  On James Irvine's death notice his parents are named Robert Irvine and Elizabeth Hunter but i have never managed to find the pair in Ireland or in fact anywhere in the UK.  I do realize mistakes are made on death notices but all we have on him was that and him being born in Ireland on all the census records. He was always a Stoker/Fireman on the census records as well.
He was away from home for the 1861 census and I did find a James ERVIN on board a steamship (Prince Consort)at Lerwick, Shetland where he was married, 31, and birth place was Fermanagh, Ireland but I could never be certain this was my James.
I was wondering whether the transcriber might have deciphered Fermanagh as Rhuanah or is that wishful thinking? :) I just wish I could find the original.
Thanks
Jenny

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 04 October 14 23:55 BST (UK) »
Well, I've got another mistranscription of the record for you!

James Groine at 2 Garvock St. born Ireland, Armaugh  ???

(wife Janet & son John in household- other details match what you found)
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 05 October 14 00:05 BST (UK) »
I think you need to purchase some credits on Scotlands People and view the original census. Then post a snip of the word here for others to give their opinions on the word if it is still not clear.

Transcriptions of Scottish censuses are often very inaccurate. ;)

Offline jenimac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 05 October 14 06:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the replies.  I have used up a fair number of SP credits searching for that particular family/address but I cannot find that record.  I have written to SP asking if they can shed light on the fact that the record is available at Find My Past (only a transcription) but not at SP.  I used the same spelling and also name variants.  I will do a couple more searches today and hopefully be more sucessful. 
My main reason for posting here was to check if there could possible be a place/town/village called Rhuanah?

I will keep you posed of any developments

Offline jenimac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 05 October 14 08:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Aghadowey,
I've been looking at your post and I could see that someone could subscribe Irvine as Groine  and even possibly Armaugh/Armagh/Rhuanah being confused. Some of that cursive writing is very difficult to decipher.  Would you mind telling me where you found that transcription and if possible could you send me a copy?
It would be a great help
Thanks
Jenny

Offline jenimac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 05 October 14 08:58 BST (UK) »
Oops!  I meant transcribe not subscribe

Offline jenimac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 05 October 14 13:41 BST (UK) »
I've found it!
I used 'Find My Past' to look up other names with the same address and then searched for them on SP and after purchasing about 5 records I FINALLY found it and can understand why the names were so diverse as the writing is appalling.

Now kind folks I need help with the place in Ireland please.

Thanks Jenny