Author Topic: McGrath/Hickey - Lettermore/Milltown  (Read 9605 times)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: McGrath/Hickey - Lettermore/Milltown
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 08 August 10 16:14 BST (UK) »
I think there may be two Miltown parishes ...

I saw that RC parish of Adeergoole & Liskeevey, diocese Tuam. Ryans Irish Records the parish has Milltown in brackets as an alternate. But the record start dates dont seem to agree - the start date on the IFHF site has bapt. from 1858 marr. from 1859 and the Ryan's has bapt. from 1858, marr from 1821... although the website could be missing some.

The other problem with that parish of Milltown is the location - the corresponding civil parish given for the area is Addergoole. This civil parish is in the far centre north of Co. Galway on the border with Co. Mayo see #3 on the Civil Parish map link.. so would seem to be Galway East.

Shane  
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 08 August 10 16:20 BST (UK) »
just double checking the dates... I think Ryan's may be incorrect about the dates available for Milltown/Adeergoole & Liskeevey.

Both the NLI film index and the Irish Times agree with the dates given in the IFHF source list (i.e bapt. from 1858 marr. from 1859).

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline whowhenandwhere

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 06 October 11 05:20 BST (UK) »
The island of Lettermore was in the Diocese of Taum - Carraroe Parish. It was formerly Kileen Parish. according to my grandmother, when she was was born on the ajoining island of Annaghvane. There was no causeway to the island of Annaghvane from the mainland town of Bealadangan as there is today nor was there one between Annaghvane and the next island of Lettermore. The parish of Killeen was across the bay and not easily accessable for the islanders. The priests, she said, found it very time consuming to travel to the islands, as well. It was eventually to become part of Carraroe Parish. My grandmother came to the USA in 1898.

Offline Bbbbbbb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 26 November 13 21:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Fiona
I am looking for any info you may have on Catherine Hickey, siblings etc...Im looking for her parents names, I do have her father but need her mothers. Also where was catherine born? was it lettermore? Really want to find out did her father John come from Clare? or was she born in Clare?

Any info on this would be great

R

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 26 November 13 21:49 GMT (UK) »
The person who started this topic hasn't been only for 3 years but here's a link to your own topic -
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=669307
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!