Author Topic: help please with Ballinger in Family search civil records  (Read 2334 times)

Offline nbrome

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
help please with Ballinger in Family search civil records
« on: Sunday 26 January 14 09:13 GMT (UK) »
I'm sure I'm doing something wrong at a really basic level here, but I need help please.
My aunt Bridget Ballinger was born in Galway in 1926. Every time I put in a search on Family Search civil registration index it comes up with ONLY results where the mother's maiden name is Ballinger. I've tried searching births without the first name in the period 1920-1930 in Galway and it still gives me this kind of result.
What am I doing wrong?

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: help please with Ballinger in Family search civil records
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 January 14 09:24 GMT (UK) »
I'm not sure, here is what I get:

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/F1SN-S44

Edited to add: All I'm doing is selecting collections for "UK and Ireland", picking "Ireland, Civil Registration Indexes, 1845 - 1958", then typing "bridget" in "First Names" and "ballinger" in "Last Names", then I select the one from Mountmellew. Putting in a birth range would narrow it down.

Offline nbrome

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 January 14 09:46 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your quick reply Gaffy. That is the right one, and I don't know why it wouldn't come up. I did exactly as you did but when I got to the civil records collection I put in name and then clicked on 'birth' and put in Galway. I kept getting someone with a maiden name Ballinger who had a series of Kelly children born in that period!
I see less is better. Just name and surname. So why have those other filters?  Oh the mysteries of searching. Thanks for your speedy help.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 January 14 10:08 GMT (UK) »
... I put in name and then clicked on 'birth' and put in Galway ...

Ah, that may have been the problem, it's quite unforgiving, you are right, sometimes less is more.

Offline Jonkly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 30 December 23 12:36 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I just googled my Grandmothers Maiden Name Ballinger,
She was from Clare Ruane Dysart area, she married my Grandfather who’s Surname was Kelly,
My Grandmother lived to be 102 and had 11 children Kelly’s, I am a Kelly
Most of my Grandmothers Family are from Clare the Dysart area, Ballinger is not a very common name, I was told as a child that they originated from France and that the family name was Bollinger but was spelt wrong and the o became and a, if I can be of any help to any one feel free to get in touch, I was raised by my Grandmother,