Author Topic: Benjamin Banfield, Stonemason  (Read 1973 times)

Offline ozranga

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Benjamin Banfield, Stonemason
« on: Sunday 14 April 13 14:09 BST (UK) »
When Mary Banfield [born 1818 Kent] married Thomas Osborne in Madron Con on 3rd APril 1841, she stated her father was Benjamin Banfield, a stonemason.
Her death in 1874 in Victoria Australia gives her mother as Mary Banfield. [maiden name unknown]
(Benjamin and Mary (Larkin) had a daughter Mary who was christened in 1826 Ightham).
I have been unable to find a birth or christening record for Mary Banfield born 1818 Kent to father Benjamin.
If anyone can help I would be very grateful,
Smith, Corrigan, Hart. Walker, Mellett, Bridge, Brew , Nelson (Liverpool)
Smith, Parfrey, Corrigan, Conway, White (Cork. Ire)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: Benjamin Banfield, Stonemason
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 April 13 16:17 BST (UK) »
There is a Benjamin Banfield born c 1796 Wrotham, Kent on 1841/1851/1861 Census with a Wife Mary.
Bens Occp is Bricklayer.
In 1863 he Marries as a Widower, Margaret Hannah Richardson, Widow, nee Burgess

Trish :)

EDIT A Mary Banfield born c 1826 Ightham, Kent, is Unm in 1851 and a Servant in Hayes, Kent
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 15 April 13 20:25 BST (UK) »
Who were the marriage witnesses and have you identified them if only to eliminate the possibility of them being relatives?

Casalguidi :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ozranga

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 16 April 13 05:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks,
I had those details, even bought Benjamin's will  and in it he mentions his daughter Mary Jenkins and sons Benjamin & Henry.(Henry and Mary both emigrated to USA.)
The witnesses at Thomas & Marys marriage were William Roberts and Mary Osborne (maybe a sister).
If any reader would like a copy of the will, just PM me.
thanks again.
Smith, Corrigan, Hart. Walker, Mellett, Bridge, Brew , Nelson (Liverpool)
Smith, Parfrey, Corrigan, Conway, White (Cork. Ire)

Offline Alfred Banfield

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 01 July 14 16:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks. I am the great-great-grandson of Henry Banfield, whose sister was Mary. I was able to track her down with your information. She and her husband settled eventually on the banks of the Mississippi River in Illinois and her son ran a fruit farming operation. I would love to have a copy of his father Benjamin Banfield's will. Also, do you know what happened to Benjamin's sons George and Alfred. I did find an Alfred Banfield who emigrated to the United States and enrolled in the army in the battle with Mexico, but then he disappeared. Not positive it is the right Alfred, either. Thanks for the clues I needed.