Author Topic: Frederick James Henry brown motor body maker Tunbridge Wells  (Read 5531 times)

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Frederick James Henry brown motor body maker Tunbridge Wells
« on: Wednesday 06 August 14 16:12 BST (UK) »
Im looking for any information about a Frederick James Henry Brown who was in partnership with John Henry Gibson in the motor car body making business of Gibson & Brown in Tunbridge Wells. Mr Gibson began the business about 1900. The Kelly directories of 1913 to 1922 list only John Henry Gibson,coah builder,with premises on Albert St,Tunbridge Wells (no Mr Brown mentioned).

In 1930 Mr Gibson retired and directories list "Gibson & Brown,motor car body builders, 134 1/2 Camden Road. In same directory and also for 1934 and 1938  is a listing for Frederick J.H. Brown (see Gibson & Brown). So it appears Mr Brown does not arrive in T. Wells until late 1920's.

Cant seem to find any info about Mr Brown and could use your help. Any information about the company of Gibson & Brown would also be helpful.

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Frederick James Henry brown motor body maker Tunbridge Wells
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 August 14 17:06 BST (UK) »
Frederick was an executor of John Henry Gibson's Will

And Frederick is a company director or some company or other!

Probate index entry -
John Henry Gibson of Winthurst 52 Wilman Road Tunbridge Wells died 6th Jan 1951 Probate London 4 April to Emily Annie Gibson widow and Frederick James Henry Brown company director.
Effects £9277 5s 9d
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 August 14 17:26 BST (UK) »
There is this death reg -which also gives d.o.b.

Frederick James H Brown
born 23 Oct 1897
Death reg Mar 1985
age 87
Tunbridge Wells
16 2630

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 06 August 14 17:52 BST (UK) »
It looks like Frederick James Henry Brown was the nephew of John Henry Gibson (occ Coach Body Builder) & Charlotte Amelia   -they don't seem to have had any children

Birth reg FreeBMD
Frederick James Henry Brown
Dec qtr 1897
Wellingborough
Northants

It seems he joined the Navy
RN Seamen Transcripts 1899-1919
Frederick James Henry Brown
born 23 Oct 1897 Wellingborough Northants Occ Fitter
Enlisted 11 May 1916

Frederick had been living with his aunt & uncle

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 06 August 14 19:46 BST (UK) »
Excellent help from all of you. Can you tell me more details about his service in the navy?

From what you have given I have found the 1911 census taken in Tunbridge Wells which gives John Henry Gibson as head of home plus his wife Charlotte Amelia and nephew "Fredrick Brown,age 13, born Wellingborough,Northamptonshire. so he is the Frederick I was after. From that I found the 1901 census for 19 Allen Rd, Northamptonshire as follows;
1) Henry J (James ?) Brown b1869 Yardley Hastings,Northamptonshire
2) Charlotte (wife)b1867 Northants,Green,Northamptonshire
3) Frederick (son) age 4, born 1897 Northamptosnhire
There are also five other children. Is this Frederick the same as Frederick James Henry Brown ? If yes would Charlotte Brown be the sister of John Henry Gibson? Can you find the marriage record to confirm his? If this is the wrong family who were Frederick James Henry Brown's parents?

I did find a marriage for Frederick J.H. Brown to Myra Luxton September 1925 but no other details given. Cant seem to find a probate record for Frederick from his death 1985 Tunbridge Wells but I found his cremation record for April 13,1985 at the Kent & Sussex Crematorium.

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 06 August 14 23:00 BST (UK) »

I did find a marriage for Frederick J.H. Brown to Myra Luxton September 1925 but no other details given. Cant seem to find a probate record for Frederick from his death 1985 Tunbridge Wells but I found his cremation record for April 13,1985 at the Kent & Sussex Crematorium.

the marriage registration gives 2 female names - Myra Luxton and Helena M W Luxton - it looks like they are the same person - her full name being Helena Myra Warlow Luxton - she was b n Devon

This looks like her death registration
Helena Myra W Brown
born 26 May 1900
death reg Oct 1985
age 85
Eastbourne
18 379

I will try to answer yor questions one by one

Suz

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 07 August 14 08:23 BST (UK) »
The probate index that can be viewed online on Ancestry doesnt go as recent as 1985.
When you say you cant find a Probate entry for Frederick, does that mean you have actually searched the later index books in London or paid for a search to be done for that year? Or do you just mean you havent been able to find it because online records dont cover that year?

Would be worth looking for.
Also probably worth getting a copy of Wilsons will.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 07 August 14 10:56 BST (UK) »
When I said I could not find his probate record I meant "online" on Ancestry UK. I didn't realize the records did not cover the time of his death.

Frederick died and was cremated in Tunbridge Wells and you have found Helena, who might be his wife, dying in Eastbourne. I will look online to see if I can find a burial record for her-if she is buried/cremated in Tunbridge Wells then that will confirm in my mind that she was in face his wife.I will post what I find out.

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 07 August 14 11:09 BST (UK) »
I have confirmed that Helena was Frederick's wife. Interestingly she was cremated at the Kent & Sussex Crematorium as Helena Myra WORDEN Brown Oct 8,1985, the same place as Frederick. Note the difference of Worden vs Warlow in cremation and marriage records.

Now I will see if I can find any children born to the couple and will post any results.

Still very interested in finding out what happened to Frederick after the directory listing of 1938 with the company Gibson & Brown and also same directory as Frederick J.H. Brown, motor car body builder (see Gibson & Brown). In 1938 Frederick would have been only age 41 and too young to retire. Since he died 1985 in T. Wells he must have worked and lived the rest of his life there. I will have another go to see if I can find any directory/phone records for his from 1939 to 1985 and post any results.